It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 15:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Researchers are using computer images to help surgeons

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 0

Researchers are using computer images to help surgeons [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2006, 13:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:05) correct 43% (01:17) wrong based on 133 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Researchers are using computer images to help surgeons plan difficult operations and to develop programs that will work for doctors and nurses in the same way that flight simulators do for pilots, letting medical personnel practice their techniques and test their reflexes before they ever see a patient.

A. plan difficult operations and to develop programs that will work for doctors and nurses in the same way that flight simulators do
B. plan difficult operations and develop programs to work for doctors and nurses the same way as with flight simulators
C. to plan difficult operations and to develop programs that will work for doctors and nurses like flight simulators
D. to plan difficult operations and in developing programs to work for doctors and nurses the same way as flight simulators
E. to plan difficult operations and developing programs that will work for doctors and nurses like flight simulators do
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by AmoyV on 24 Aug 2016, 09:25, edited 3 times in total.
Edited the title of the question

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: Researchers are using computer images to help surgeons [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2006, 20:34
[quote="karlfurt"]Here are two SC focusing on the usage of 'help'

Researchers are using computer images to help surgeons plan difficult operations and to develop programs that will work for doctors and nurses in the same way that flight simulators do for pilots, letting medical personnel practice their techniques and test their reflexes before they ever see a patient.
A. plan difficult operations and to develop programs that will work for doctors and nurses in the same way that flight simulators do
B. plan difficult operations and develop programs to work for doctors and nurses the same way as with flight simulators
C. to plan difficult operations and to develop programs that will work for doctors and nurses like flight simulators
D. to plan difficult operations and in developing programs to work for doctors and nurses the same way as flight simulators
E. to plan difficult operations and developing programs that will work for doctors and nurses like flight simulators do

Parallelism SC. Only B and C are acceptable.

"like" is wrongly used in C. Hence B.

During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was viewed as “wildernessâ€

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2006, 07:50
I am getting A and C.

Karlfurt raises a good question here: "to help" vs. "help to."

"~to help" is usually unacted on by human beings. In other words, a machine or device that makes our lives simpler.

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2006, 10:51
GMATT73 wrote:
I am getting A and C.

"~to help" is usually unacted on by human beings. In other words, a machine or device that makes our lives simpler.

1) Good point Matt. I also see A is better one for the first question.

B says also as with which I don't like.

2) C

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2006, 12:05
In the first question, B cannot be the answer or else it would mean that the Researchers are using computer images to help surgeons to develop programs that will work for doctors and nurses. Instead the sentence means Researchers are using computer images to develop the programs that will work for doctor and nurses.

A is the answer for the first one and C for the second one.

Neelabh Mahesh

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2006, 15:17
GMATT73 wrote:
I am getting A and C.

Yes, that was the point I wanted to address.
Actually it is "to help to + infinitive" vs "to help + infinitive".
Can you please develop a little more your explanation concerning the usage of both idioms?

OA are A & C.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2012, 07:07
Wheres the 2nd Sc i dont c anything after wilderness in 2nd

karlfurt wrote:
Here are two SC focusing on the usage of 'help'

During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was viewed as “wildernessâ€

Press +1Kudos :-) Thank u

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 18

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2014, 11:14
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 23

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2014, 04:10
karlfurt wrote:
Here are two SC focusing on the usage of 'help'

Must be B, But suprised why no one has selected it ..!!

Reasoning as follows :

Split for use of like : 2:2:1
Correct use of like in comparison sentence is when it is followed by a Noun / Pronoun...which is not the case in hand ..hence wrong !!!
left with A / B / D

A : comparison made with the use of that is wrong
D : Parallelism error

Left with B

Rgds
LS

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 23

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 10:03
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Re: Researchers are using computer images to help surgeons   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2017, 10:03