It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 07:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Researchers hypothesize that granitic soil is the ideal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8352 [1], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)
Re: Researchers hypothesize that granitic soil is the ideal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 09:12
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
1. (A) it doesn't have a clear referent.
What else other than 'soil' can 'it' refer to logically? Can 'it' refer to the tortoise, meaning that tortoise is not hard for X and not soft for Y? So no doubt need be entertained about the ambiguity of the pronoun reference in A because logic is the leading light in such cases.
2. Why D is not equal to A.
D uses and infinitive as 'to make' burrowing difficult and as soft as to cause tunnels to collapse. the infinitive 'to make' implies that the action is not a finite action but at best a surmise or notion. On the other hand, A uses the subordinator 'that' using a clause with definitive action verbs 'makes' and 'could cause'. The premises of their hypothesis, in fact, are real happenings. This intention is rather feebly presented in D, making it depend upon some yet - to - happen notions rather than upon some real happenings as in A.. Therefore, it can be reckoned In D the original intent has been diluted, however grammatically normal it sounds.
Therefore, A IMO.
I have also seen that when a negative factor such as 'not' is involved, so…. as is used while in positive contexts as… as is used. Example:
Tom is not so tall as Dick
Tom is as tall as Dick.
This looks more like a convention than a decree.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8352 [1], given: 366

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 235

GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 620 Q48 V27

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 20:10
Hi Experts,

I have a couple questions regarding this sentence:

Choice C: so hard as to make burrowing difficult or soft enough so it causes -- I believe the issue here is parallelism. so "hard as to make" is not parallel to "soft enough so it causes".
Question - is the idiom "so X as to Y" correct? If we write choice C as - "so hard as to make burrowing difficult or soft as to cause ..." -- Would this be correct?

Choice E - In addition to parallelism issues. Is the usage of "nor" wrong here? Usually when presented in a list "nor" should be preceded by a "neither". Is the standalone "nor" usage incorrect here?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Please hit Kudos if my post is helpful to you.

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 235

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 32

GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.16

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 21:19
daagh wrote:
1. (A) it doesn't have a clear referent.
What else other than 'soil' can 'it' refer to logically? Can 'it' refer to the tortoise, meaning that tortoise is not hard for X and not soft for Y? So no doubt need be entertained about the ambiguity of the pronoun reference in A because logic is the leading light in such cases.
2. Why D is not equal to A.
D uses and infinitive as 'to make' burrowing difficult and as soft as to cause tunnels to collapse. the infinitive 'to make' implies that the action is not a finite action but at best a surmise or notion. On the other hand, A uses the subordinator 'that' using a clause with definitive action verbs 'makes' and 'could cause'. The premises of their hypothesis, in fact, are real happenings. This intention is rather feebly presented in D, making it depend upon some yet - to - happen notions rather than upon some real happenings as in A.. Therefore, it can be reckoned In D the original intent has been diluted, however grammatically normal it sounds.
Therefore, A IMO.
I have also seen that when a negative factor such as 'not' is involved, so…. as is used while in positive contexts as… as is used. Example:
Tom is not so tall as Dick
Tom is as tall as Dick.
This looks more like a convention than a decree.

Hi Daagh,

Can "as hard as" or "as soft as" be used as verb or noun phrase like it is used here in D?

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 32

Re: Researchers hypothesize that granitic soil is the ideal   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2017, 21:19

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 43 posts ] 

Researchers hypothesize that granitic soil is the ideal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap