Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1024 [486]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [169]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1370 [55]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [29]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Researchers hypothesize that granitic soil is the ideal construction [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I can see why people don't love A, but the "it" in A clearly refers to "soil." If you had any doubt about that, it might help to notice that "it" is already used for that purpose in the fixed portion of the sentence, and the GMAT will never switch antecedent for the same pronoun in the same sentence. In other words, once it=soil, that will remain true throughout the sentence, just like a variable in an equation.

There's also no problem with parallelism; we just shift from the simple present ("it makes") to a hypothetical ("it could cause"). It's perfectly fine to switch in this way when the meaning demands.

The odd thing is that we end up saying that the soil could make the tunnels (made of soil) collapse, but most other ways of saying this would run into problems, too. In the end, A is the only choice that works. (As others have stated, "as hard as to make" in D is not idiomatic.)
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Researchers hypothesize that granitic soil is the ideal construction [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
jzchina wrote:
Researchers hypothesize that granitic soil is the ideal construction material for the desert tortoise because it is not so hard that it makes burrowing difficult or so soft that it could cause tunnels to collapse.

(A) so hard that it makes burrowing difficult or so soft that it could cause

(B) hard enough to make burrowing difficult or soft enough as to cause

(C) so hard as to make burrowing difficult or soft enough so it causes

(D) as hard as to make burrowing difficult or as soft as to cause

(E) too hard, making burrowing difficult, nor too soft, so as to cause

Concepts tested here: Idioms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• “enough + to” is a correct, idiomatic usage; besides, “enough” is used to show “adequacy” and generally not used to show a cause-effect relationship; rather, “so + cause + that + effect” or “so + cause + as to + effect” are some of the preferred constructions for conveying a cause-effect relationship.
• "so as to" is generally an incorrect usage; "so + cause + as to + effect" is the correct, idiomatic usage.

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the idiomatic constructions “so + cause ("hard") + that + effect (”it makes burrowing difficult")" and “so + cause ("soft") + that + effect (”it could cause tunnels to collapse")". Further, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "enough as to"; please remember, “enough + to” is a correct, idiomatic usage; besides, “enough” is used to show “adequacy” and generally not used to show a cause-effect relationship; rather, “so + cause + that + effect” or “so + cause + as to + effect” are some of the preferred constructions for conveying a cause-effect relationship.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "enough so"; please remember, “enough + to” is a correct, idiomatic usage; besides, “enough” is used to show “adequacy” and generally not used to show a cause-effect relationship; rather, “so + cause + that + effect” or “so + cause + as to + effect” are some of the preferred constructions for conveying a cause-effect relationship.

D: Trap. This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic constructions "as + cause ("hard") + as to + effect ("make burrowing difficult")" and "as + cause ("soft") + as to + effect ("cause tunnels to collapse")"; please remember, "so as to" is generally an incorrect usage; "so + cause + as to + effect" is the correct, idiomatic usage.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "cause ("too soft" + "so as to" + effect ("cause tunnels to collapse")"; please remember, "so as to" is generally an incorrect usage; "so + cause + as to + effect" is the correct, idiomatic usage. Further, Option E uses the passive voice construction "making burrowing difficult", rendering it awkward and needlessly indirect.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the use of "So As To" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
A) it doesn't have a clear referent
B)as to is awkward in this context
C) not parallel
E) so as to is unidiomatic

so D is the only one that survives
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
deowl wrote:
A) it doesn't have a clear referent
B)as to is awkward in this context
C) not parallel
E) so as to is unidiomatic

so D is the only one that survives

"so as to" is not unidiomatic. it is perfectly idiomatic. rather "as .. as to" in D is unidiomatic.

contarary to the aboves, go with A cuz "so.. that" is correct expression..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [19]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Researchers hypothesize that granitic soil is the ideal construction material for the desert tortoise because it is not so hard that it makes burrowing difficult or so soft that it could cause tunnels to collapse.

A. so hard that it makes burrowing difficult or so soft that it could cause -> Correct
B. hard enough to make burrowing difficult or soft enough as to cause -> as breaks the parallelism
C. so hard as to make burrowing difficult or soft enough so it causes -> So X as Y is not a correct idiom."as X so Y" or "as X as Y" are correct usage. Also "soft enough" breaks the parallelism
D. as hard as to make burrowing difficult or as soft as to cause -> As X as Y is used to compare the similarities about X and Y and not provide reasons. So X that Y is a better construction
E. too hard, making burrowing difficult, nor too soft, so as to cause -> Combination of idioms doesn't correct the problem
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 526 [3]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Kudos
I choose A. That is the only sentence which don't have any parallel issue.
As for D, " as hard as to" is unidiomatic. I only heard of " so as to". " as hard as" can be used for comparison but then again, we run into parallel issue: it is not as hard as it is to make - we need "it is" to make the sentence parallel.
Manager
Manager
Status:Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [1]
Given Kudos: 257
Send PM
Bookmarks
i think in D, we are incorrectly comparing soil with hardness which is incorrect. it refers to soil....as hard as to make burrowing difficult or as soft as to cause

A, is correct because it refers to soil and soil is not so hard or so soft. we do not repeat not.

hope this helps.

C. is out because hardness is compared with burrowing.

jzchina wrote:

A. so hard that it makes burrowing difficult or so soft that it could cause
B. hard enough to make burrowing difficult or soft enough as to cause
C. so hard as to make burrowing difficult or soft enough so it causes
D. as hard as to make burrowing difficult or as soft as to cause
E. too hard, making burrowing difficult, nor too soft, so as to cause

Welcome to discuss! Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 256
Send PM
Can someone from egmat plz help here?
Isn't the use of So X As Y correct?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think you mean "so X as to Y." That can work, although it's not the clearest way to say what we want to say. C has bigger problems, though. First, "soft enough so it causes" is not idiomatic. We need "soft enough to cause" or "so soft that it causes." Even if this were okay, it wouldn't be parallel with "so hard as."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos