It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 23:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Researchers in Germany have unearthed 400,000-year-old

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 7

Researchers in Germany have unearthed 400,000-year-old [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2015, 21:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:05) correct 30% (01:18) wrong based on 236 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Researchers in Germany have unearthed 400,000-year-old wooden spears from what it appears was
an ancient lakeshore hunting ground as stunning evidence of human ancestors who
systematically
hunted big game much earlier than believed.

A. it appears was an ancient lakeshore hunting ground as stunning evidence of human
ancestors who
B. it appears had been an ancient lakeshore hunting ground and stunning evidence that human
ancestors
C. appears was an ancient lakeshore hunting ground and is stunning evidence that human
ancestors
D. appears to be an ancient lakeshore hunting ground, stunning evidence that human ancestors
E. appears that it is an ancient lakeshore hunting ground, stunning evidence of human
ancestors who
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Researchers in Germany have unearthed 400,000-year-old [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2015, 11:25
sannidhya wrote:
Researchers in Germany have unearthed 400,000-year-old wooden spears from what it appears was
systematically

A. it appears was an ancient lakeshore hunting ground as stunning evidence of human
ancestors who
B. it appears had been an ancient lakeshore hunting ground and stunning evidence that human
ancestors
C. appears was an ancient lakeshore hunting ground and is stunning evidence that human
ancestors
D. appears to be an ancient lakeshore hunting ground, stunning evidence that human ancestors
E. appears that it is an ancient lakeshore hunting ground, stunning evidence of human
ancestors who

STRUCTURE: Researchers in Germany have unearthed X from Y (noun/noun ph), modifier of X.

Y = WHAT it appears to be (appear idiom - appear as, appear to be, appear to have been).
So only choice is D.

Modifier error with A, B, C.
A - They unearthed X from Y as Z!
B - They unearthed X from Y AND Z!
C - They unearthed X from Y AND IS Z! (They unearthed X from Y,Z is correct)

I am not sure the modifier is for spears (X) or hunting grounds (Y).

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 48

Manager
Manager
Status: I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 68

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2015, 22:35
Apourv wrote:
sannidhya wrote:
systematically

ancestors who
ancestors
ancestors
ancestors who

STRUCTURE: Researchers in Germany have unearthed X from Y (noun/noun ph), modifier of X.

Y = WHAT it appears to be (appear idiom - appear as, appear to be, appear to have been).
So only choice is D.

Modifier error with A, B, C.
A - They unearthed X from Y as Z!
B - They unearthed X from Y AND Z!
C - They unearthed X from Y AND IS Z! (They unearthed X from Y,Z is correct)

I am not sure the modifier is for spears (X) or hunting grounds (Y).

The answer is D

The modifier is modifying the entire preceding clause + it also provides the result of the preceding clause.

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 68

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2015, 00:18
in option (d), is stunning a verb-ing word?? because i knew stunning was always an adjective.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 833 [1], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2015, 06:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
arnabs wrote:
in option (d), is stunning a verb-ing word?? because i knew stunning was always an adjective.

You are correct, stunning is an adjective for evidence in choice D. It doesn't always have to be an adjective, however.

"The waiter threw the food at the customers, stunning everyone in the restaurant."

Here, stunning is not an adjective.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Kudos [?]: 833 [1], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2015, 12:45
KyleWiddison wrote:
arnabs wrote:

You are correct, stunning is an adjective for evidence in choice D. It doesn't always have to be an adjective, however.

"The waiter threw the food at the customers, stunning everyone in the restaurant."

Here, stunning is not an adjective.

KW

appreciate the clarification Kyle, thanks!!! :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 260

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2015, 14:41
sannidhya wrote:
systematically

ancestors who
ancestors
ancestors
ancestors who

After 'what' we do not need words such as 'it' here. The verb can come immediately: what appears

The meaning given in last part of A seems inappropriate: 'evidence of human ancestors who hunted ...'
It seems that this evidence is about some special kind of human ancestors, those who hunted ...,

Also, 'as evidence ..' even if correct, is so far from the 'wooden spears.

In sentences like this, an absolute phrase can be properly used to explain some earlier part of the sentence.

ancestors who
B. it appears had been an ancient lakeshore hunting ground and stunning evidence that human ancestors
'stunning' incorrectly explains the 'hunting ground', rather than 'wooden spears'

ancestors

'is stunning' again incorrectly explains the 'hunting ground', rather than the 'wooden spears'

Correct!
'stunning evidence that ...' is an absolute phrase which shows what this discovery or these spears have suggested

ancestors who

'that it is' is wordy
'evidence of human ancestors who ...' changes the meaning

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 260

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2017, 05:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Re: Researchers in Germany have unearthed 400,000-year-old   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2017, 05:31

Researchers in Germany have unearthed 400,000-year-old

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap