GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 05 Dec 2019, 17:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Resetting official GMATprep tests

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Resetting official GMATprep tests  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 01:54
I took the 4th test in the GMATprep official series a couple of months ago (got a 690 then). Today, I reset it and saw some repetition in questions but I didn't know the answer to almost all of them before hand. Knew one answer before hand in verbal. Also, in Q I didn't know the answer to any repeats but did see a couple of questions which I knew I had got incorrect when I took the test previously. Got a 720 this time. How much should I deduct my score to get a somewhat accurate figure?
HEC & IMD School Moderator
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Resetting official GMATprep tests  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 03:12
Hi keshav1895, It would be really hard for anyone to give you the accurate answer for your question. It is a known fact that after re-setting, user will see some repetitive questions. You can consider yourself to be at 690-700 at present approximately. You should focus on why you got the answers incorrect. Was it due to silly mistake or lack of conceptual knowledge. Is there change in sectional scores? The best way will be to prepare best and give a shot on last exam pack (5-6).

keshav1895 wrote:
I took the 4th test in the GMATprep official series a couple of months ago (got a 690 then). Today, I reset it and saw some repetition in questions but I didn't know the answer to almost all of them before hand. Knew one answer before hand in verbal. Also, in Q I didn't know the answer to any repeats but did see a couple of questions which I knew I had got incorrect when I took the test previously. Got a 720 this time. How much should I deduct my score to get a somewhat accurate figure?

Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 03:33
[quote="sjas31"]Hikeshav1895 It would be really hard for anyone to give you the accurate answer for your question. It is a known fact that after re-setting, user will see some repetitive questions. You can consider yourself to be at 690-700 at present approximately. You should focus on why you got the answers incorrect. Was it due to silly mistake or lack of conceptual knowledge. Is there change in sectional scores? The best way will be to prepare best and give a shot on last exam pack (5-6).

Thanks sjas31. This was insightful. I'm currently going over my mistakes and would be taking exam 6 tomorrow. Let's see how it goes.
HEC & IMD School Moderator
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 03:39
keshav1895 wrote:

Thanks sjas31. This was insightful. I'm currently going over my mistakes and would be taking exam 6 tomorrow. Let's see how it goes.

Controlling stress and not making silly mistakes give you extra points :) You can cross 700 mark. All the best.
Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 15:21
Hi keshav1895,

While the most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills - since you will likely see some 'repeat' questions that you have already faced. Unfortunately, seeing even a couple of repeats can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all appear to be better than they actually are). Unfortunately, there's no way to determine the exact effect that all of these issues had on your recent retake of that prior CAT. Going forward, you should make sure to take a NEW CAT each time - and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.).

Going forward, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you correctly take the CAT in a realistic fashion).

In addition, the process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. Since you took a CAT today, you should NOT take another one tomorrow.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Director
Director
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 21:03
keshav1895 wrote:

After reading the facts that you have provided I would suggest you not gauge your capability on the basis of your performance on the 2nd exam. Use the exam for practice and review. The entire algorithm is adaptive. You might not have seen the questions you have had you answered the few of the test questions you had answered before incorrectly.

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2019, 19:15
Hi keshav1895,

I agree that that is no way to know how much your score is inflated due to your retaking a practice exam. Moving forward, you should try to take only unused practice exams. How did you do on exam 6?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Resetting official GMATprep tests   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2019, 19:15

Resetting official GMATprep tests

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep