Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Sciencex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20707 [119]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [50]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [21]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [7]

Send PM
Re: Resin is a plant secretion that hardens when exposed to air; fossilize [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Passage breakdown

In the first paragraph (P1), the author:

• Explains how resin amber have been misunderstood in the past.
  • States that scientists have not yet found a function for resin.

In the second paragraph, the author:

• Introduces and discusses two potential explanations for the function of resin -- the question raised in P1.
  • Explains how studying resin led to the development of chemical ecology.

For more on this process, check out this article and our live RC videos.

Explanations for individual questions

General Discussion
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [9]

Send PM
Re: Resin is a plant secretion that hardens when exposed to air; fossilize [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jokschmer wrote:
3. The author refers to “bacterial infections” (see line 11) most likely in order to
(A) describe the physiological function that gum performs in plants -CORRECT. "Resin differs from both gum and sap in that scientists have not determined a physiological function for resin" -This line is followed by the line that defines the function of gum. Thus we can infer that "bacterial infections" is referring to the physiological function of gum
(B) demonstrate that sap is not the only substance that is transported through a plant's tissues -Out of scope
(C) explain how modern chemical analysis has been used to clarify the function of resin -Incorrect
(D) show that gum cannot serve as an effective defense against herbivores -Out of scope
(E) give an example of how confusion has arisen with regard to the nature of resin -The passage does explain the term gum to define the confusion between the two, but "bacterial infections" doesn't describe the confusion. It merely explains the function of gum

for this question it is confusing that
1. gum is a product or result of 'physiological function=bacterial infections' ....passage says "Resin is often confused with gum, a substance produced in plants in response to bacterial infections"

or

2. gum is a performer of 'physiological function=bacterial infections'....ans option says "bacterial infections describe the physiological function that gum performs."

can anyone shed some light on these two conflicting points.

A bacterial infection is not the physiological function. The physiological function is the mechanism by which a plant reacts to a bacterial infection (by producing gum).

The author refers to “bacterial infections” in order to describe the plant's physiological response to the bacterial infection. This physiological response is to produce gum.

Does that answer your question?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [5]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
dcummins wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
dcummins wrote:
This was a tough paragraph to stomach.

I read it at a slow pace in its entirety, but I still found myself going back to the paragraph extensively to answer the questions.

Anyone know to to better tackle this?

Ended up with 1 wrong (last question) - didn't understand the answer choice.

dcummins, you also might want to check out the Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners for more tips on how to efficiently tackle a passage. Good luck, and let us know if you have any specific questions!

Thanks Charles. I found that a lot of the tips mentioned were actually covered in one of your more detailed videos I viewed on youtube, so cheers.

I've concluded that no one RC reading method works for everyone. I've tried both the Economist's method, Empower's and the methods mentioned in the RC sticky thread. I'm a perfectionist, which is a detriment in this test, so If I read the whole passage it'll kill my time and this has been made evident in my last 3 practice CATs (V38 scores, but consistently having to rush through 1 passage and somehow always getting 5 RC wrong). I'll continue to flex my style and take in the tips. At the end of the day RC is something I practice the least, so I think I need to hold myself accountable in that regard.

Thank you for the kind words! Glad to hear that the videos are helping. (And sorry for my ludicrously slow response. I sorta switched continents during the holidays, and life is just starting to return to normal...)

And you’re 100% correct: no single reading method – or note-taking method – will ever work for everybody. Whenever a test-prep company tries to sell you some magical, rigid note-taking system that will turn you into a 99th-percentile verbal scorer, please run in the other direction, and double-check to make sure that you still have your wallet.

The reality is that improving your reading skills is HARD, and everybody’s minds work in different ways. Sure, there are general principles that apply to everybody on RC, but those principles are incredibly broad: basically, read for purpose and structure, work hard to avoid misreading, and don’t fall in love with an answer choice before you’ve found reasons to eliminate four other options. Beyond that, success comes from lots of practice, lots of self-reflection, and plenty of time spent learning what works best for YOU.

So I like the way you’re thinking about this! More practice is good, but perfectionism probably isn’t a good thing. Ideally, when you read an RC passage, you’re trying to understand only as much as you really need to understand. If you absorb TOO many details, you’ll waste time – and you might even miss the broader ideas in the passage.

So maybe you need to learn to let go a bit, and figure out how much to dial back the intensity of your reading? Just a thought.

I hope this helps, and enjoy the journey of self-discovery that is the GMAT verbal section… ;)
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [5]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
hazelnut wrote:
Quote:
Question 4

(Book Question: 470)
The author of the passage refers to Pliny most probably in order to

(A) give an example of how the nature of amber has been misunderstood in the past

(B) show that confusion about amber has long been more pervasive than confusion about resin

(C) make note of the first known reference to amber as a semiprecious gem

(D) point out an exception to a generalization about the history of people's understanding of amber

(E) demonstrate that Pliny believed amber to be a mineral

Quote:
Although Pliny in the first century recognized that amber was produced frommarrow discharged by trees,” amber has been widely misunderstood to be a semiprecious gem and has even been described in mineralogy textbooks.

The passage states generally that amber has been widely misunderstood but cites Pliny as noting correctly, in the first century, that amber resulted from a substance discharged by trees.

GMATNinja Could you help to explain why (A) is incorrect?

hazelnut, if you take the statement "A" to be correct, then statement "E" should also be correct; both the statements are referring to the same meaning.
Pay close attention to the word "Although". It just changes the meaning of the entire statement.

Hope it helps.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
HWPO wrote:
HWPO wrote:
GMATNinja , anyone, please explain why in question 3, option A is the correct one and not option E?
The author refers to “bacterial infections” (see line 11) most likely in order to

(A) describe the physiological function that gum performs in plants

(B) demonstrate that sap is not the only substance that is transported through a plant's tissues

(C) explain how modern chemical analysis has been used to clarify the function of resin

(D) show that gum cannot serve as an effective defense against herbivores

(E) give an example of how confusion has arisen with regard to the nature of resin

I feel that E is simply NOT incorrect, so seriously, how can the exam makers disapprove of this option?
My logic is this: if it were not for the confusion, the author would not have even mentioned gums (and saps). Yes, it says in black and white what the function gum performs is, I agree. But come on, the author wasn't likely to refer to it just because he was like "Oh! I want you to know the function of gum because it is soo cool". He referred to the function of gum because people had been mistaken with regard to the function of resin (they though it was similar to gum and saps).

It's just so annoying.

Thanks in advance ;)

AndrewN GMATNinja VeritasPrepHailey AjiteshArun generis CrackVerbalGMAT chetan2u VeritasKarishma

Anyone, please?

The author mentions 'gum' and 'sap' to indicate the confusion around the term 'resin'.
He mentions 'bacterial infections' to give the function of gum.
Given the options, there is no doubt that (A) is correct. Even if (E) may be related in a roundabout way, (A) is the right on target answer.
Let this be your takeaway from this official question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [3]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
jabhatta@umail.iu.edu wrote:
GMATNinja

In Q4, i see you explained why D is right

But why is A wrong ?

Hello,

If I may, I would like to extend help regarding your doubt..

If you read A in the following way-

The author of the passage refers to Pliny most probably in order to give an example of how the nature of amber has been misunderstood in the past

you should be skeptical about it as to have a question - how is Pliny an example of the 'widely misunderstood nature of amber' when Pliny was not one among those people who misunderstood the part.. She, in fact, is an exception who correctly understood the concept. The option A says the absolute opposite of what's intended.
Pliny, thus, can not be an example to represent those who misunderstood the concept.

I hope that rings the bell. :)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [2]

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
himswarn wrote:
In the first question, agree that (A) is correct. But can someone please explain why is (E) incorrect?
(E) Researchers first studied repellent effects in plants beginning in the 1950s.

Quote:
Question 1 (Book Question: 467)

According to the passage, which of the following is true of plant antiherbivore chemistry?

(A) Changes in a plant's antiherbivore chemistry may affect insect feeding behavior.

(B) A plant's repellent effects often involve interactions between gum and resin.

(C) A plant's antiherbivore responses assist in combating bacterial infections.

(D) Plant antiherbivore chemistry plays only a minor role in the coevolution of plants and insects.

(E) Researchers first studied repellent effects in plants beginning in the 1950s.

Quote:
In the 1950s, entomologists posited that resin may function to repel or attract insects...

We are told that the repellent effects of resin were first considered in the 1950s. However, that does not necessarily mean that researchers were not studying OTHER (non-resin) repellent effects in plants prior to the 1950s.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [2]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Kudos
this is case "easy passage, close answers ". when passage is easy, close answers give you difficulty.

still elimination helps. read each answer choice and see whether it is fit with the two or 3 sentences in the passage. do this 5 times for 5 choices.
it is more easy to see error or unfit relation than to see the correct answer. the correct answer is the answer we have no reason to eliminate. when there is only one choice we can not eliminate, reread this choice to confirm. we can not realize the correct answer the first time we read it because hard question dose not give you easy answer, which is realize first time. we can only confirm the remaining answer without errors by rereading the relevant two or three sentences once again.

this is the process to deal with hard question. prethinking an answer choice before reading the answer choices and then looking for a match dose not help. prethinking , I can say, is not helpful for rreading section because the answer is never so easy that we can find a match.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
newyork2012 wrote:
4. The author of the passage refers to Pliny most probably in order to
"AlthoughPliny in the first century recognized that amber was produced from “marrow discharged by trees,” amber has been widely misunderstood to be a semiprecious gem and has even been described in mineralogy textbooks"
(A) give an example of how the nature of amber has been misunderstood in the past
(D) point out an exception to a generalization about the history of people's understanding of amber

I don’t understand why it could D

D is the fact behind the story ,but it’s not what the author wanna say ... the author wanna use this example ( fact ) to show “ how the nature of amber has been misunderstood in the past”

Posted from my mobile device

Business was slow this morning ..we only had one customer

When we mention the “one customer “ , we don’t intend to say that it’s an exception.. we intend to use the example to show how slow the business was ...

Taking your example, a 1:1 comparison would actually need to be worded like this:

"Business was slow this morning, although we only had one customer.

As you can see, that key word "although" (which is used to introduce Pliny's role in the sentence) basically reverses the logic of your example.

That's because the author isn't bringing in an example (Pliny's correct recognition of where amber comes from) to explain or illustrate a trend (amber has been widely misunderstood).

Rather, the author is bringing in an example to contrast one case vis-a-vis the trend. The author mentions Pliny's correct understanding of amber in order to point out an exception to the broader, mistaken generalizations about amber. Choice (D) captures this best.

I hope this helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jesliwoo wrote:
Everyone,

Don't you think that the correct answer: 'point out an exception to a generalization about the history of people’s understanding of amber' is actually having a wrong meaning? As we discussed above, the exception we have here is 'to the misunderstanding', but the answer is: 'to a generalization about the history of people's understanding', so it's actually not what we are talking about. Because 'a generalization about history' is something like 'people did not understand amber until 1900s', and 'an exception to a generalization' is like 'people actually knew amber in 1850s'. Pliny did not make any generalization about history, he made an understanding about amber. So I am confused. Please help me with this. I know I am wrong but I don't know why I am wrong. I got the correct answer but I really can not convince myself when I read the answer. So do I understand 'an exception to' incorrectly? Thank you!

As a reminder, here's what the author wrote:

Quote:
Although Pliny in the first century recognized that amber was produced from “marrow discharged by trees,” amber has been widely misunderstood to be a semiprecious gem and has even been described in mineralogy textbooks.

This one sentence tells us two things:

• Amber has been widely misunderstood to be a semiprecious gem.
  • Although amber has been widely misunderstood in this way, Pliny recognized that amber was produced from "marrow discharged by trees."

It doesn't seem like you've had any trouble with the reading here — but to be clear, Pliny is the EXCEPTION, while the GENERALIZATION is that amber has been widely misunderstood.

Now, when looking at the answer choice, it seems like you're getting hung up over the difference between "understanding" and "misunderstanding." However, these two words are not necessarily logical opposites, and they can be used in multiple ways. If I'm right about this, then it might help to better understand the usage.

• If I say, "People understood the plague to be a punishment from God," what I mean is that people thought the plague was a punishment from God. If I believe that God punishes people with plagues, then I might consider their understanding to be correct. If I don't believe in God at all, then I might consider their understanding to be mistaken. This sentence doesn't tell you what I believe about the plague; it only tells you how these people thought of the plague.
  • If I say "People misunderstood the plague to be a punishment from God"... well, I still mean that people thought the plague was a punishment from God. In addition, I'm explicitly saying, as the author, that their understanding was mistaken.

Now let's consider "understanding" and "misunderstanding" as nouns:

• If I say, "The chief's understanding of this crisis is deeply flawed," what I mean is that the way the Chief thinks about this crisis is deeply flawed.
  • Now, it would be inappropriate me to say, "The chief's misunderstanding of the crisis is deeply flawed," because that's a double negative. More proper usage would be, "The chief deeply misunderstands this crisis," or "The chief has a deep misunderstanding of the crisis."

Choice (D) says, "The author of the passage refers to Pliny most probably in order to point out an exception to a generalization about the history of people's understanding of amber."

In other words, the author most probably refers to Pliny because Pliny's understanding of amber (i.e., his thinking about amber) is an exception to a generalization about the history of people's understanding about amber (i.e. their thinking about amber). Pliny knew that amber was produced from something inside of trees in the first century, although the general understanding of people's thoughts regarding amber is that they thought it was a gem.

(Unrelated: in my personal opinion, Amber is definitely a gem. If you know me personally, you'll get the joke.)

I hope this helps!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos