It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 04:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Responding to the publics fascination with-and sometimes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1862 [0], given: 302

Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Responding to the publics fascination with-and sometimes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2015, 02:23
Read the whole forum - the answer is posted! Don't be too lazy!

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 71

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 15:11
I'm confused with the infinitive in letter C "scale to rate..." and the for+verb-ing "scale for rating..." in letter D. Can someone tell if in this situation both are correct?

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 23:03
Hugoba wrote:
I'm confused with the infinitive in letter C "scale to rate..." and the for+verb-ing "scale for rating..." in letter D. Can someone tell if in this situation both are correct?

Good question. Did you read the whole post? I found some explanation for you (already posted by some Manhattan Tutor).

Look at answer choice C:

"astronomers have developed a scale to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to
PROBLEM: You can't say "likely...will be to". It's gibberish. Your ear would recognize that if there weren't all those words in between, confusing things. Try a short example. You should always be able to replace "likely" with "probably".

My program determines how likely you will be to love me.
My program determines how probably you will be to love me...MAKES NO SENSE!"

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 06:06
reto wrote:
Hugoba wrote:

Good question. Did you read the whole post? I found some explanation for you (already posted by some Manhattan Tutor).

Look at answer choice C:

"astronomers have developed a scale to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to
PROBLEM: You can't say "likely...will be to". It's gibberish. Your ear would recognize that if there weren't all those words in between, confusing things. Try a short example. You should always be able to replace "likely" with "probably".

My program determines how likely you will be to love me.
My program determines how probably you will be to love me...MAKES NO SENSE!"

Hi reto,

Thanks for the reply. I'm affraid that I wasn't specific enough. I actually wanted to apply the concepts described in this article: to-verb-vs-for-verb-ing-144017.html to this question. I know that this is not necessary to answer the question, but after trying the question, I like to study every other aspects of the answer choices. I think this approach might be useful when trying other questions.

Retired Moderator

Responding to the publics fascination with-and sometimes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 11:08
Hugoba wrote:
Hi reto,

Thanks for the reply. I'm affraid that I wasn't specific enough. I actually wanted to apply the concepts described in this article: to-verb-vs-for-verb-ing-144017.html to this question. I know that this is not necessary to answer the question, but after trying the question, I like to study every other aspects of the answer choices. I think this approach might be useful when trying other questions.

Ok, let's try to split it up. Here is the question stem again:

Responding to the public’s fascination with - and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats from asteroids, a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may collide with Earth.

A. a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may
B. a scale that astronomers have developed rates how likely it is for a particular asteroid or comet to

C. astronomers have developed a scale to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to
According to your article comparing "to be" vs. "verb-ing" this sentence would be correct. Because the intended meaning was "Astronomers have developed a scale (in order) to rate how likely..."
So the purpose of developing a scale was to rate the likelihood (course of action). Does this make sense to you too?

D. astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet will
I think this example does not really fit into the article you shared. Here you have a smiple noun "rating" in the context: The Astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood...". So you have a "for + noun" construction which is not covered in in that way your article. Do not confuse it. Imho this is the same as "a shield for protection or a tv for entertainment = a scale for rating".

E. astronomers have developed a scale that rates the likelihood of a particular asteroid or comet that may

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
GMAT 1: 600 Q33 V40
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2015, 19:46
goalsnr wrote:
Responding to the public’s fascination with - and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats from asteroids, a scale
developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may
collide with Earth.

A. a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may
B. a scale that astronomers have developed rates how likely it is for a particular asteroid or comet to
C. astronomers have developed a scale to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to
D. astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet will
E. astronomers have developed a scale that rates the likelihood of a particular asteroid or comet that may

"TO RATE" is not always the correct idiom. The reason is because a scale can mean different things. It can be a scale that you stand on TO WEIGH yourself or it can be a scale of 1-10 FOR judging the likelihood of........

A) Does a scale respond? NOPE. Also, the likelihood it "may" is redundant. Instead of a double negative it's like a double uncertainty since likelihood is similar to saying that something MAY happen.
B) Same as A but without the redundancy problem.
C) To rate "how likely"? I think this is not clear since in this context, likely could be misunderstood to mean, "suitably" instead of likelihood.
D) Correct
E) Scale that rates? Also, "likelihood" already basically contains the word MAY in it so that's redundant.

I hope I cleared some stuff up cause I saw a lot of incorrect answers posted.

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 19:16
Who "responding to the public's....", of course astonomers can do it, a scale cannot.
Who rates the likelihood ? Do the astrononers develop the scale, and the scale will rate the likelihood that... for them. No, they will use the scale they developed to rate ....; "May" is also a problem of redundancy
Now just C and D stay with us. Now the very subtle mistake is that "will + probably" and "am/is/are + likely to". That's the point.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 74

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.26
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 21:25
goalsnr wrote:
Responding to the public’s fascination with - and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats from asteroids, a scale
developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may
collide with Earth.

A and B - wrong. Astronomers are modified.
C - to collide. awkward and incorrect
E likelihood and may - redundant

D - correct

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 74

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 34

Schools: Rotman '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 22:22
Does anyone know why D reads as "astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet will" and not "astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet would" - since the situation is hypothetical?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 34

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 616

Schools: Tepper '18

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 06:01
goalsnr wrote:
collide with Earth.

C. astronomers have developed a scale to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to - 'will be to' sounds wrong, but not sure exactly what i wrong with it (please explain) - so went with option C
D. astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet will - isn't usage of 'that' incorrect here. I think Likelihood of is better.

Can some expert please throw some light on this? Thanks.!

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 616

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 01:30
goalsnr wrote:
collide with Earth.

why e is wrong.
likelyhood + noun and
likelyhood + that clause

are both correct.
however, only some noun , not all noun , can be used after likelhood, depending on meaning of the noun. we do not need to read further grammar in grammar book to know this point, we need only to focus on meaning , using our common sense of this world to know the noun used after likelyhood. this point is rarely explained fully and so, is hard for us

likelyhood of the existence of new agent in our galaxy
is correct
likelyhood of you
is incorrect.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2016, 04:50
goalsnr wrote:
collide with Earth.

A. a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may non underlined portion must modify astronomers
B. a scale that astronomers have developed rates how likely it is for a particular asteroid or comet to non underlined portion must modify astronomers
C. astronomers have developed a scale to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to 'to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to'- too wordy. IMO it also implies that asteroids intentionally collide with earth, and scientists are figuring out that likelihood.
D. astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet will correct answer
E. astronomers have developed a scale that rates the likelihood of a particular asteroid or comet that may Possibility and may are redundant

D is the answer :)

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 69

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 21:37
developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may collide with Earth.

Responding to the public’s fascination -- should modify astronomers

intended meaning : how likely it is now that an asteriod will strike earth.

how likely a particular asteroid or comet => this sentence should be in present.
E. astronomers have developed a scale that rates the likelihood of a particular asteroid or comet that [b]may[/b] : - I am not sure if Likelihood of a particular asteroid is correct.

TommyWallach : Pl help for E.

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 342

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V22
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 12:35
who is responding ?, the astronomers , so A and B is out ,
from C, D, AND E - will be (passive) is wrong ,so C is out
out of D & E , D carries a redundant "may"
Thus E is the correct ans.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 00:12
I think its option D, coz in E
E. Astronomers have developed a scale that rates the likelyhood of a particular....
How can a scale rate itself, that refers to the scale, so it seems that the scale can rate itself, so i think in option D there's no redundancy and logic, meaning is also fine.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 89

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 09:59
Thanks for pointing out that Idiom here..Helps... 8-)

bhatiagp wrote:
Will go for E.. "likelihood of" is idiomatic not "likelihood that" . Hence D is not correct.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 89

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 00:40
Hi experts....
Is it c or d? should I trust the oa?I saw the oa as c in some other sources...it's a very good question. Pls make sure the oa is correct

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Responding to the publics fascination with-and sometimes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2017, 23:21
C. astronomers have developed a scale to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to --> it is how likely something is to happen; the likelihood should exist now not in the future, so will is not quite right imo
E. astronomers have developed a scale that rates the likelihood of a particular asteroid or comet that may --> it is the likelihood of something happening not the likelihood of an object, similar to C

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 444

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 03:55
Its D
First phrase leads to astronomers, hence A & B are out
C - awkward
D - correct
E- Use of likelihood & May together is redundant

developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may collide with Earth.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 444

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 235

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 19:40
collide with Earth.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 235

Re: Responding to the publics fascination with-and sometimes   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2017, 19:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 86 posts ] 

Responding to the publics fascination with-and sometimes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap