Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [10]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Re: Resume Book - Types of People Admitted to Wharton [#permalink]
Kudos
Well, this is not a classic Resume book, but one can get some decent info on IMD class of 2009.

P.S. Don't worry for the copyright - this is publicly available content from IMD's website.
Attachments

IMD class.pdf [865.13 KiB]
Downloaded 7485 times

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
highhopes wrote:
Me too, but I kind of feel like it's a little ridiculous to put that in your additional activities, like it's something you do in your spare time. And was it with Regis or Meredith Veiera? Because there's so a difference.

Ehhh, did I mention that I was on that PBS show "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" back in elementary school? :-D

If I mentioned that on my resume for Tuck, I am sure I would have gotten in....DARN!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Tarmac wrote:
Wharton is a bit of a factory, there are plenty of pretty average profiles there.

Harvard and Stanford on the other hand, those are pretty consistently spectacular, unless URM or female.

No one else seemed to mind this comment, but hey: URMs and females, believe it or not, can also have spectacular profiles. I really doubt HBS, Stanford, etc. are lowering their standards a lot, across the board, for these groups. :roll:

Anyway, true story while we're talking about game show stuff: I have a friend applying to business school in the fall of 2010 and he won Guts! He OWNS a piece of the Aggro Crag. It never ceases to impress me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
I can't figure out how to access the resume books in the first link....

Mother of god..... no wonder I got dinged without an interview....

This is just one guy...

Quote:
STANFORD LAW SCHOOL - JD; International Law

UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA B.A. (Magna Cum Laude); Diplomatic History

CNN
Washington, DC · August 2006-February 2008
Producer

NEWSWEEK INTERNATIONAL
New York, NY · September 2005-July 2006
Reporter / Researcher

ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES:
professional musical performer and songwriter (Guitar, Vocals, Piano);
contestant on “Who Wants to be a Millionaire” game show

LANGUAGES: Hebrew (fluent), Spanish and Czech (beginning)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Wharton is a bit of a factory, there are plenty of pretty average profiles there.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Guys there are always the people in any class who have some huge wow factor...the person who was an emmy award winner, the professional athlete, top gun fighter pilot who flew numerous combat missions...in the end they are normal people just like you. For everyone of them there are a lot of people who worked at good jobs, went to good schools, did well at everything in life but aren't what you would call mind boggling. The funny thing is if you talk to the people who on paper sound amazingly impressive; usually they make what they did sound rather normal and at times boring.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Send PM
I dunno, when I see the types of profiles on the first pdf file I think everyone has something to bring ot the table. For example there might be someone with mediocre work experience but you find out that he graduated summa cum laude with an 800GMAT and knows 4 languages (academic wow). Or you see mediocre school but amazing finance/consulting experience or a unique entrepaneurial spirit. Or you might think this guy is totally run of the mill but he cofounded a multinational charity. Or this guy is average, but graduated from Penn (lol... maybe home field advantage?)

Anyway, I can't really find anyone "average" candidates in that resume book. To me they are all stellar
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
bipolarbear wrote:
I dunno, when I see the types of profiles on the first pdf file I think everyone has something to bring ot the table. For example there might be someone with mediocre work experience but you find out that he graduated summa cum laude with an 800GMAT and knows 4 languages (academic wow). Or you see mediocre school but amazing finance/consulting experience or a unique entrepaneurial spirit. Or you might think this guy is totally run of the mill but he cofounded a multinational charity. Or this guy is average, but graduated from Penn (lol... maybe home field advantage?)

Anyway, I can't really find anyone "average" candidates in that resume book. To me they are all stellar

As mentioned before, most of the people have some some sort of edge. It's all about putting the emphasis on those elements. If you indeed have nothing to bring, it will be hard to get in, but I'd be surprised if that were to be the case.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Send PM
wow... now THAT is a comprehensive resume book. kudos!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Pathfinder_77 wrote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-most-comprehensive-resume-book-i-have-ever-seen-67590.html#p496840

I've found this resume book from some Graduate Business Conference organized by Haas Business School. Of course, participants were from all around the world, so that initiated the interesting discussion on GMATclub on some differences between Euro and US style of resume.

Invaluable resource and comments that became legendary.

Enjoy

Ha! I remember that post. Funny to notice differences between styles in a Euro and a US CV / resume - 1 page vs. 2 pages, conservative vs. more emphasis on accomplishments (aka arrogant :-D ), picture vs. no picture, etc.

I learned a lot in the US about writing CVs though; Americans are much better and much more drilled at writing these, maybe thanks to the follow-up that is performed from early on. While Europeans probably spend a smaller amount of time writing CVs (I know I do), Americans really work on it till it's perfect. They know how to capture attention and to focus on the essentials. They also know how to describe their jobs in glowing terms, even the most ordinary ones, something I'm incapable of doing (although sometimes they really push it to the limit, which might work in the US but never in continental Europe or other cultures).

Also, Wharton has to approve your CV before it goes in the book (right format, etc), and I'm sure a lot of schools have this policy too.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
On a side note, does anyone have any one page resume templates available (or know of any websites that contain free resume templates)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
It is better you use the one you are meant to - maybe email someone you know at LBS and they will send you theirs.

You just need to get good at shortening everything. I have more on my resume now (info wise) and somehow have spare lines at the bottom for the first time. Just constant editing, reviewing (with others), editing...

That second book has some really awful resume's in it if you want to know what to do. 3rd page of a resume I learned that someone's interests were spiritualism and theology. It may have been a European thing that it was so long (and said so little). My friend's resume is in there as well, which was quite comical.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Venture Capital
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
refurb wrote:
I can't figure out how to access the resume books in the first link....

Mother of god..... no wonder I got dinged without an interview....

This is just one guy...

Quote:
STANFORD LAW SCHOOL - JD; International Law

UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA B.A. (Magna Cum Laude); Diplomatic History

CNN
Washington, DC · August 2006-February 2008
Producer

NEWSWEEK INTERNATIONAL
New York, NY · September 2005-July 2006
Reporter / Researcher

ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES:
professional musical performer and songwriter (Guitar, Vocals, Piano);
contestant on “Who Wants to be a Millionaire” game show

LANGUAGES: Hebrew (fluent), Spanish and Czech (beginning)

LOL. This is so ridiculously strong and interesting that I practically spewed my coffee. The final slap came when I saw that he was a contestant on “Who Wants to be a Millionaire”.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
I think everyone who is in a top B-school is a rockstar, including you! I was telling a bunch of new g-club members yesterday that each everyone of us is special in a unique way, something you did which might appear to be very very small can be something that can make you standout as a rockstar.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
OhThatMBA wrote:

LOL. This is so ridiculously strong and interesting that I practically spewed my coffee. The final slap came when I saw that he was a contestant on “Who Wants to be a Millionaire”.

That's exactly how I felt. I saw the Stanford Law degree, the job at CNN, the singing/instruments, the multiple languages and I'm thinking "Wow, this guy is good!"

Then I see the "Who wants to be a millionaire" and I think I yelled out loud "Oh come on!!!!!" :x :x

RF
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
refurb wrote:
OhThatMBA wrote:

That's exactly how I felt. I saw the Stanford Law degree, the job at CNN, the singing/instruments, the multiple languages and I'm thinking "Wow, this guy is good!"

Then I see the "Who wants to be a millionaire" and I think I yelled out loud "Oh come on!!!!!" :x :x

RF

Me too, but I kind of feel like it's a little ridiculous to put that in your additional activities, like it's something you do in your spare time. And was it with Regis or Meredith Veiera? Because there's so a difference.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
nink wrote:
highhopes wrote:

Ehhh, did I mention that I was on that PBS show "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" back in elementary school? :-D

If I mentioned that on my resume for Tuck, I am sure I would have gotten in....DARN!

lol
is that show on hulu.com?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3