It is currently 25 Sep 2017, 12:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

8 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 55 [8], given: 0

Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2004, 06:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (00:59) correct 28% (01:13) wrong based on 4007 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Edit: This discussion has retired. Find the new thread HERE

Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.

A. that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of
B. that personal spending in the July-September quarter would more than double
C. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled
D. of personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubling that of
E. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it would more than double that of

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The OA is B, while I chose D and B as the second best answer. Isn't it more idiomatic to say "expectations of"?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 55 [8], given: 0

10 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 155 [10], given: 0

Re: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2004, 06:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Please do not reveal the OA rightaway. Post the question and give it a day or two. When you come back you would see more hot discussions than you expected.

As for the SC, "that of" and "rate" is redundant. You would want to "that of" when the question is
"...intensifying expectations that the rate of personal spending in X quarter more than doubled than that of the personal spending for the previous quarter..."
So, ADE goes off.

Nevertheless, 'expectations that' needs a "would". So, ACD out.
Only B remains.

Kudos [?]: 155 [10], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 582 [2], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2008, 06:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
My approach:
Clear B

Retails sales rose(cause)............,intensifying expectations(effect).....

It cannot be expectations OF thus C,D,E are straight out. Now we have A & B
-ing form shows the present continuous, thus we need show the result in future tense. In A doubled is in past tense where as in B "would" shows the future tense.

Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Last edited by prasannar on 09 Apr 2008, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 582 [2], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2009, 01:19
IMO B

A. that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of --> that of is ambiguous
B. that personal spending in the July-September quarter would more than double --> the best.
C. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled --> that clause here incorrectly modifies for the whole prior clause Retail sales ... August, while it should modifies for expectations
D. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, more than doubling that of --> same error as A. Besides, it creates an incorrect comparison that retails sales more than double the growth rate of personal spending
E. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it would more than double that of --> same error

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 1

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 148 [2], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2009, 13:53
This post received
KUDOS
Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal
spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of
the 1.4 percent growth
rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.
A. that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of
C. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled
D. of personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubling that of
E. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it would more than
double that of

B wins

Kudos [?]: 148 [2], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2009, 09:07
Retail sales rose 0.8 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July-Sept quarter more than doubled that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.

A. that personal spending in the July-Sept quarter more than doubled that of
B. that personal spending in the July-Sept quarter would more than double
C. of personal spending in the July-Sept quarter, that it more than doubled
D. of personal spending in the July-Sept quarter more than doubling that of
E. of personal spending in the July-Sept quarter, that it would more than double that of

your answers and explanations, thx
And, BTW, Could anyone please offer me an introduction about how to use "that of" when there is a "than"
or "as" before? thanks a lot!

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2011, 22:01
Expectations that resulted from a past and continue in future would be used

for eg Retail sales rose 0.8 of 1 percent in August,intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July–September quarter would more than double

Expectations that resulted from a present and continue in future will be used
for eg According to some analysts, the gains in the stock
market reflect growing confidence that the economy
will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in
the year and instead come in for a “soft landing,”
followed by a gradual increase in business activity

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2011, 12:22
tt11234 wrote:
here is the question...

Retail sales rose 0.8 of 1 percent in August,
intensifying expectations that personal spending in
the July–September quarter more than doubled that
of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending
for the previous quarter.
(A) that personal spending in the July–September
quarter more than doubled that of
(B) that personal spending in the July–September
quarter would more than double
(C) of personal spending in the July–September
quarter, that it more than doubled
(D) of personal spending in the July–September
quarter more than doubling that of
(E) of personal spending in the July–September
quarter, that it would more than double that of

i am wondering if the word "double" here is a verb or an adjective. thanks!

I did pick 'B'. But I have a question with choice B

Retail sales rose 0.8 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that [highlight]personal spending[/highlight] in the July–September
quarter would more than double [highlight]the 1.4 percent growth rate[/highlight] in personal spending
for the previous quarter.

Is the comparison correct here ?
Personal spending ....... more than double the ...growth rate
Shouldnt it be
growth rate in Personal spending ...more than double the ..... growth rate

I would appreciate any help with this .

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 92 [2], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2012, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I picked answer B:

A. This answer choice states the verb "doubled" in the simple past tense, but this doesn't make any sense. The reason it doesn't make sense is because we are looking at statistics in August and we are predicting the outcome of the future. Therefore, the use of the simple past tense is incorrect here - it should be the conditional word "would."

B. At first I wasn't sure if this was the correct answer because it seemed to compare personal spending to growth rate. However, after further analysis I realized that you could include "in personal spending" as part of the comparison. This makes more sense. It also uses the conditional "would" to agree with the word "expectation."

C. I was quite confused by the use of "it" because I wasn't sure if it correctly refers to personal spending. However, I noticed that this answer choice uses "doubled" which is the simple past tense of the verb and therefore cannot be correct.

D. By using "that of" in this comparison, it is redundant because "that of" is a pronoun used to replace "personal spending of." If you notice later in the sentence, it repeats the words "personal spending," so this answer cannot be correct.

E. Again, I was unsure about the usage of the pronoun "it" and whether it correctly refers to personal spending. Regardless, I found this answer choice wordy and the use of the relative pronoun "that of" is unnecessary.

Kudos [?]: 92 [2], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2013, 23:25
Retail sales rose 0.8 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July–September quarter more than doubled that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.

(A) that personal spending in the July–September quarter more than doubled that of
(B) that personal spending in the July–September quarter would more than double
(C) of personal spending in the July–September quarter, that it more than doubled
(D) of personal spending in the July–September quarter more than doubling that of
(E) of personal spending in the July–September quarter, that it would more than double that of

IMO

E) and C) can be ruled out based on "that" preceded by a comma
A) and D) use demonstrative pronoun "that" which refers to expectations so should ideally be "those"

but OG answer guide does not say anything about these two points.. So was wondering if I have misread something and luckily got the answer correct or
my argument actually making sense.

Any pointers ?

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 22 [3], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2014, 15:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Retail sales rose 0.8 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July–September quarter more than doubled that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.

(A) that personal spending in the July–September quarter more than doubled that of
(B) that personal spending in the July–September quarter would more than double
(C) of personal spending in the July–September quarter, that it more than doubled
(D) of personal spending in the July–September quarter more than doubling that of
(E) of personal spending in the July–September quarter, that it would more than double that of

Meaning Analysis - The sentence talks about a certain expectation due to rise in retail sales.

Error Analysis -

Clause 1: Retail sales (subject) rose (verb) 0.8 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations

Clause 2: that personal spending (subject) in the July–September quarter more than doubled (verb) that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.

Error
(1) The sentence express expectations, and hence needs a "world" verb. The sentence used simple past "more than doubled"
(2) in "that of the 1.4 percent growth rate" .. here "that" refers to "spending". Hence the sentence says personal spending more than doubled personal spending of 1.4 percent growth rate .. which does not make sense

POE:
(a) Errors as stated above

(b) Correct answer

[c] of personal spending in the July–September quarter, that it more than doubled
"would" not used instead "doubled" (simple past) used.
Also,"intensifying expectations of personal spending in July-September quarter" is now a verb-ing modifier leaving no clear antecedent for "that" or "it" (same for
choice d and e)

(d) of personal spending in the July–September quarter more than doubling that of
This sentence says .. "intensifying expectations of personal spending .. more than doubling personal spending of 1.4 .." - which makes no sense although doubling is rightly used as a verb-ing modifier

(e)of personal spending in the July–September quarter, that it would more than double that of
Same as choice C. "intensifying expectations of personal spending in July-September quarter" is now a verb-ing modifier leaving no clear antecedent for "that" or "it"..
Also, very wordy with inclusion of "more than double that of"

Please let me know if my analysis is ok. Thanks in advance, Pinaki

Last edited by Narenn on 03 Apr 2014, 00:45, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Renamed

Kudos [?]: 22 [3], given: 17

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 861 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2014, 03:59

Hi e-gmat,

Although we can't challenge OG questions, here is my query.

personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.

In your video explanation the last line mentioned in the "Meaning analysis" is .

The growth rate in personal spending this quarter would more than double that in personal spending for previous quarter.

However, the sentence states "Personal spending this quarter would more than double 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for previous quarter.

My Doubt:

In the official question shouldn't the sentence be as below.

The growth rate in personal spending this quarter would more than double that in personal spending for previous quarter.

How can we estimate personal spending this quarter by doubling(growth rate in personal spending)?????

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 861 [0], given: 322

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 8823 [0], given: 328

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2014, 06:02
TGC wrote:

Hi e-gmat,

Although we can't challenge OG questions, here is my query.

personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.

In your video explanation the last line mentioned in the "Meaning analysis" is .

However, the sentence states "Personal spending this quarter would more than double 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for previous quarter.

My Doubt:

In the official question shouldn't the sentence be as below.

How can we estimate personal spending this quarter by doubling(growth rate in personal spending)?????

Hi Saurabh,
Thank you for posting your query here. :)

Our audio visual solution states that “the personal spending for this quarter is expected to more than double the growth rate of the same (the personal spending) in last quarter”.
So, here we are comparing the growth rate in personal spending in two quarters. This is logical comparison. Now, coming to your question:
• The growth rate in personal spending this quarter would more than double that in personal spending for previous quarter.
This is incorrect because when “that” is used as a demonstrative pronoun it should always be followed by the noun that it refers to. From the above sentence it is not clear what “that” refers to.

Now, we are not estimating the growth rate just by doubling something. The estimates or expectations might be made after a lot of data crunching. Here in the sentence we are only told that the value of this growth rate in the July-September quarter is expected to be double the value of the same thing in the previous quarter.

Also, as you said this is an official question. We should try to learn from them whatever they have to offer.

Hope this helps! :)
Regards,
Deepak

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 8823 [0], given: 328

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2016, 09:24
sudeep wrote:
madman88 wrote:
can anyone explain why "be" is not required in the sentence? I thought a clause is following the "that" and it must contain verb.

it is not in subjunctive mood so 'be' is not used.
also verb is there in the clause after that - 'would double'

aim730 wrote:
Expectations of "Someone"??? Expectations of personal Spending is wrong
Whose expectation that is why D is wrong
that lefts A and B
the statement after that modifies anything before it hence A is wrong answer should be B

praveenism wrote:
IMO B
Double is a comparative "Signal".
1) Idiom Issue: Expect that.
2) Since its Aug. i.e mid of Quater (July-Aug-Sept) we need to bring uncertainity into our speculation. So Would is appropriate.
3) We dont require "that of" becaz the second term is rate itself. :)

jitbec wrote:
I also think it is B. But here the problem could be parallelism. personal spending i getting copared with 1.4 percent growth here. "That of" would have been more appropriate

Injuin wrote:
Not sure why you would use "that of". The 1.4% is the growth rate in personal spending, and you can double 1.4% since it's a number.

A confusing question for me, since it challenged some rules of thumb that I had been following all the while.

1. 'Expectations of' can be used on a subject, therefore I locked A and B once seeing "personal spending" and no obvious verb in the remaining parts.
Revised Rule: Use THAT whenever seeing 'expectations'. No exception.

2. I always stick to the form of 'Would + [be]/[verb]', therefore I slashed off B and E as they were written as 'would more than double' rather than 'would BE more than double'.
Revised Rule: (Well, I still can't accept how a scrambled arrangement like 'would [comparative adjective] than ['double' acting as verb]' can be valid. Mind to enlighten me?)

3. I used to take '[comparative adjective] than' as a comparison involving parallelism. Apparently, 'more than' in this question does not establish a parallel comparison at all, but merely an expression of >1.4%. Eventually, adding 'that of' causes redundancy error rather than an escape from parallelism error.
Revised Rule: Comparison keyword might not indicate a comparison in place.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3125 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 10:30
ravitejajasti wrote:
Hey, I got D by POE. But I would like to know one thing here.

If i am not wrong, The answer choice compares personal spending with growth rate. Is it true?

Here "double" is a verb. Consider first a simple example as below:

The increment doubled my salary.

The increment doubled my $200 salary of last year.

Now compare the above with option B:

Personal spending would double the 1.4 % growth rate.

There is no grammatical comparison here. Option B just states that the personal spending in July-August would be so high that it would cause growth rate of spending to be more than 2.8%.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 33

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 03:34
Despite B is the correct answer, it is illogical.

How can "personal spending" more than double "the percent growth rate in personal spending"? It is illogical to say that a magnitude can double a percent growth rate.

A percent growth rate should be compared against another percent growth rate, and a magnitude (in this example, personal spending) against another magnitude.

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 33

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 18:29
EBITDA wrote:
Despite B is the correct answer, it is illogical.

How can "personal spending" more than double "the percent growth rate in personal spending"? It is illogical to say that a magnitude can double a percent growth rate.

A percent growth rate should be compared against another percent growth rate, and a magnitude (in this example, personal spending) against another magnitude.

There is no comparison between " personal spending" and "growth rate". Please refer to my post just above yours:
retail-sales-rose-8-10-of-1-percent-in-august-intensifying-10546-80.html#p1679613

The subject for the verb "double" is " personal spending". The conveyed meaning is that the personal spending in July-September quarter would be so high that growth rate of personal spensing would be more than 2.8% (i.e. July-September quarter's growth rate > previous quarter's growth rate x 2).

Analogically, say my salary in 2015 was 100 and that in 2016 is 110 (increase of 10%). In 2017 I would get a salary of 133.1 (increase of 21%). Thus my salary in 2017 would more than double the 10% growth rate in my salary for the last year.

Thus option B is logical.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 94

Schools: Insead '18, ISB '19

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2016, 03:51

A. that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of - Incorrect- the prediction of spending requires a tense
B. that personal spending in the July-September quarter would more than double - Correct
C. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled - Incorrect- 'of' and rate of are redundant
D. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, more than doubling that of - Incorrect: -ing verb potrays that the spending is still getting doubled
E. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it would more than double that of Incorrect- 'of' and rate of are redundant/ 'It' refers to spending or expectation.

If the post helped +1Kudos :-D

Good luck
=========================================================================================
"If a street performer makes you stop walking, you owe him a buck"
"If this post helps you on your GMAT journey, drop a +1 Kudo "

"Thursdays with Ron - Consolidated Verbal Master List - Updated"

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 94

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 12:13
D. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, more than doubling that of
E. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it would more than double that of

I chose D. It agrees with the subject and verb. There is nothing wrong with this sentence grammatically. However, this may not be the correct answer since GMAT only considers the best answer :D

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 15:49
SPLIT1) SINCE THEY ARE REFERRING TO SOMETHING THAT WILL HAPPEN IN THE FUTURE AS A POSSIBILITY THE WORD "WOULD" IS MORE CORRECT. A, C AND D ARE OUT.

SPLIT2) WE NEED THE WORD "THAT" TO MODIFY THE WORD EXPECTATIONS. C, D AND E ARE OUT.

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 19

Re: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2016, 15:49

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 27 posts ] 

Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap