Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Modifiersx   Pronounsx   Verb Tense/Formx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]

Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Re: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectatio [#permalink]
The answer is of course option B. But, I have a doubt and need some expert comments on that.

I eliminated options C, D, and E on the following basis:

...expectations of personal spending...

It's like the personal spending has expectations and those expectations have been intensified. This construction seemed to me quite awkward and I thus eliminated the options. But the official explanation -- (D) Although this option is not technically wrong, it is less clear and graceful than (B) -- doesn't find anything wrong with the construction.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectatio [#permalink]
Expert Reply
subrataroy0210 wrote:
The answer is of course option B. But, I have a doubt and need some expert comments on that.

I eliminated options C, D, and E on the following basis:

...expectations of personal spending...

It's like the personal spending has expectations and those expectations have been intensified. This construction seemed to me quite awkward and I thus eliminated the options. But the official explanation -- (D) Although this option is not technically wrong, it is less clear and graceful than (B) -- doesn't find anything wrong with the construction.

I agree with you. I read somewhere that the explanations in OG are not written by the same experts who write the questions. These experts who write the explanations are not as highly talented as the ones who write the questions. However I cannot confirm the authenticity of this information.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6119 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Here is the OE from OG 2015:

Quote:
Verb form; Logical predication
The sentence explains the expectations that resulted from a past retail sales trend. Since expectations look to the future but are not yet realized, the relative clause explaining these expectations should be conditional, employing the auxiliary verb would.

A The simple past-tense verb form does not express the forward-looking sense of expectations.
B Correct. By using the verb would double, this concise sentence indicates that the expectation has not yet been realized.
C This construction is awkward, announcing the topic (personal spending) and then elaborating in a relative clause that restates this topic as it.
D Although this option is not technically wrong, it is less clear and graceful than (B).
E Like (C), this sentence is awkward and unnecessarily wordy, announcing the topic and then using an additional clause to elaborate on it.

The correct answer is B.

GMATNinja: Why did OG say that option D isn't technically wrong?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
broall wrote:
Here is the OE from OG 2015:

Quote:
Verb form; Logical predication
The sentence explains the expectations that resulted from a past retail sales trend. Since expectations look to the future but are not yet realized, the relative clause explaining these expectations should be conditional, employing the auxiliary verb would.

A The simple past-tense verb form does not express the forward-looking sense of expectations.
B Correct. By using the verb would double, this concise sentence indicates that the expectation has not yet been realized.
C This construction is awkward, announcing the topic (personal spending) and then elaborating in a relative clause that restates this topic as it.
D Although this option is not technically wrong, it is less clear and graceful than (B).
E Like (C), this sentence is awkward and unnecessarily wordy, announcing the topic and then using an additional clause to elaborate on it.

The correct answer is B.

Wow, that's a really interesting official explanation. It pains me to say this, but those explanations are often complete garbage. Often, the questions themselves are written years -- or even decades -- before they're ultimately retired and end up in an OG. So whoever writes the explanations likely has no contact with the people who created the question in the first place. I'm not even sure that the explanation-writers are GMAC employees -- it's possible that they're contracted by Wiley, the publisher, not GMAC.

Anyway... in this case, I completely disagree with the explanation for (D). I don't think there's any justification whatsoever for the use of "that of" here, but maybe I'm missing something.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
broall wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
broall wrote:

Wow, that's a really interesting official explanation. It pains me to say this, but those explanations are often complete garbage. Often, the questions themselves are written years -- or even decades -- before they're ultimately retired and end up in an OG. So whoever writes the explanations likely has no contact with the people who created the question in the first place. I'm not even sure that the explanation-writers are GMAC employees -- it's possible that they're contracted by Wiley, the publisher, not GMAC.

Anyway... in this case, I completely disagree with the explanation for (D). I don't think there's any justification whatsoever for the use of "that of" here, but maybe I'm missing something.

Oh, it's surprising to hear that :-D OG is a commercial product that helps test takers prepare for the exam. Hence, GMAC shouldn't make any those careless things.

Yeah, it's disappointing that the official explanations aren't more consistent. But in the GMAT's defense, it would be nearly impossible to match up the explanations with the original intent of the question, since so much time passes between writing the question and publishing the books that contain those questions. And the GMAT's job is to write a fair and valid test -- so we're lucky that they help us to prepare for their test at all! :-)
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.
A. that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of- pronoun that(second one) refers to personal spending and leads to an illogical meaning

B. that personal spending in the July-September quarter would more than double- Correct

C. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled- pronoun issue 'that it'

D. of personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubling that of- same pronoun issue as A

E. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it would more than double that of - same pronoun issue as A

1. 'intensifying expectations that personal spending' vs ' intensifying expectations of personal spending'-- Is 'intensifying expectations that personal spending' better than the latter? Can it be used as a decision point?

2. In option C,
Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled--

In this option C, verb-ing modifier 'intensifying expectations of personal spending in the July-September quarter' modifies the preceding clause and makes sense with the action of preceding clause 'rose'. But does it make sense with the subject 'retail sales'?

3. Also, in option C,
It the usage of 'that' to introduce a subordinate clause correct here? ( We remove the part separated by commas to give our core sentence as following)
Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August that it more than doubled

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , other experts - please enlighten
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
1. 'intensifying expectations that personal spending' vs ' intensifying expectations of personal spending'-- Is 'intensifying expectations that personal spending' better than the latter? Can it be used as a decision point?

Yes.

Quote:
2. In option C,
Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled--

In this option C, verb-ing modifier 'intensifying expectations of personal spending in the July-September quarter' modifies the preceding clause and makes sense with the action of preceding clause 'rose'. But does it make sense with the subject 'retail sales'?

Yes it does make sense; however, you should not really be worried about this aspect in this question, since the entire participial phrase is in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. Hence, all options inherit the same structure.

Quote:
3. Also, in option C,
It the usage of 'that' to introduce a subordinate clause correct here? ( We remove the part separated by commas to give our core sentence as following)
Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August that it more than doubled

More importantly, one would not normally expect to see a comma before that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 267
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
td wrote:
Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.

(A) that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of

(B) that personal spending in the July-September quarter would more than double

(C) of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled

(D) of personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubling that of

(E) of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it would more than double that of

Hi souvik101990 generis
I have a query with respect to the use of tense...
If option B would have been as follows, would it be still incorrect?

that personal spending in the July-September quarter will more than double

My reason: Since the sentence talks from the past perspective that is represented by the verb ROSE, WOULD is correct that WILL?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sometimes with the word EXPECTATIONS...WILL can also be correct but that depends upon the context of the sentence and tense used in the sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
td wrote:

(A) that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of

(C) of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled

(D) of personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubling that of

(E) of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it would more than double that of

I would like to know whether the first 'that' is a modifier or is a subordinate clause ?

GMAT ninja has mentioned that The first "that" is pretty harmless, and just modifies “expectations.”

But what follows the 'that' is a complete clause which makes me wonder if it is a subordinate clause. Is it ok for a modifier to have a complete clause ?

The below examples show 'that' being used as a modifier. What follows that is just the verb phrase not the complete clause.
Ex 1: The first-class airline tickets to Antarctica that were purchased using Amber’s retirement savings were worth every penny.
Ex 2 : The son of a gun that burned my dinner deserves to be punished.

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Originally posted by Abhishekrao12 on 10 Apr 2020, 07:18.
Last edited by GMATNinjaTwo on 13 Apr 2020, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
fixed quotation formatting
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Dear IanStewart AjiteshArun MartyTargetTestPrep GMATGuruNY AnthonyRitz VeritasPrepBrian ccooley DmitryFarber GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo,

Although I got it correct by POE, I have 2 questions on the correct choice B.

Q1. Why is comparison in choice B. correct?
How can SPENDING (which is supposed to be a number double) a RATE?
Shouldn't it be that the RATE of personal spending in July-Sept double the RATE of personal spending in previous quarter?

Q2. Is it possible for a present value to double a past value?
How can a past value (the growth rate of a previous quarter) be changed or double?

Side note: The issue in Q2 is the reason why choice A. is wrong in this OG question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-1972-agree ... 52000.html
Quote:
WRONG : A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.

Originally posted by kornn on 20 May 2020, 08:05.
Last edited by kornn on 25 May 2020, 08:59, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Lots of “that” going on this week. Check out our Topic of the Week, or our YouTube live webinar on the GMAT’s many uses of “that”.

In this question, we have two different uses of “that” going on. Fun.

Quote:
A. that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of

The first "that" is pretty harmless, and just modifies “expectations.” The second that is trying to function as a pronoun – and “that” is always singular when it’s being used as a pronoun, so let’s look for a singular noun it could refer back to. “Personal spending” is singular. So let’s replace “that” with “personal spending”:

Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1% in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled the personal spending of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending

Whoa, that’s a steaming pile of nonsense. Eliminate (A).

Quote:
B. that personal spending in the July-September quarter would more than double

Hm, this looks good. “Intensifying expectations that personal spending… would more than double” is perfectly clear, and we don’t have any pronoun issues. Keep (B).

Quote:
C. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled

I don’t like the “intensifying expectations of personal spending, but the pronouns are a much bigger issue. “That” looks like a noun modifier – modifying “personal spending in the July-September quarter”, I guess? But then what does “it” refer to? “Personal spending”, I guess? Then we have “intensifying expectations of personal spending, that personal spending more than doubled the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending…”

Wow, that’s another pronoun mess. I think we can safely get rid of (C).

Quote:
D. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, more than doubling that of

Same pronoun error as in (A), so (D) is gone.

Quote:
E. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it would more than double that of

Same pronoun error as in (A) and (D), so (E) is gone, too.

We’re left with (B). Yay pronouns.

I have a question with C. How did you determine that 'that' in C is being used as a noun modifier ? Could it not have been an article ? If I determine that it's an article, where am I wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
Send PM
Hey guys, QQ;

even though I marked B as my answer (took 2.20 as I had eliminated this option earlier and Kinda came back to it since the rest were just plain BAD). I am not convinced with B. how come personal spending's || to 1.4% growth rate.

intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July-September quarter would more than double the growth rate of 1.4%. How come we're okay with this? personal spending and growth rate, as an entity, are not the same.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
ueh55406 wrote:
Hey guys, QQ;

even though I marked B as my answer (took 2.20 as I had eliminated this option earlier and Kinda came back to it since the rest were just plain BAD). I am not convinced with B. how come personal spending's || to 1.4% growth rate.

intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July-September quarter would more than double the growth rate of 1.4%. How come we're okay with this? personal spending and growth rate, as an entity, are not the same.

Hi ueh55406, good question. Here than is not the classical "than" (in the sense that than does not really serve as a comparison indicator here).

Let's take a similar example:

The recent trend of extremely high birth rate in country X will more than double country X's population in the next few years.

This means that birth rate in country X has recently been so high that country X's population will increase by " > 2" factor, in the next few years.

Similarly here:

Retail sales have been so high in August that growth rate in personal spending in the July-September quarter will be > 2.8%.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Lots of “that” going on this week. Check out our Topic of the Week, or our YouTube live webinar on the GMAT’s many uses of “that”.

In this question, we have two different uses of “that” going on. Fun.

Quote:
A. that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of

The first "that" is pretty harmless, and just modifies “expectations.” The second that is trying to function as a pronoun – and “that” is always singular when it’s being used as a pronoun, so let’s look for a singular noun it could refer back to. “Personal spending” is singular. So let’s replace “that” with “personal spending”:

Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1% in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled the personal spending of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending

Whoa, that’s a steaming pile of nonsense. Eliminate (A).

Quote:
B. that personal spending in the July-September quarter would more than double

Hm, this looks good. “Intensifying expectations that personal spending… would more than double” is perfectly clear, and we don’t have any pronoun issues. Keep (B).

Quote:
C. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled

I don’t like the “intensifying expectations of personal spending, but the pronouns are a much bigger issue. “That” looks like a noun modifier – modifying “personal spending in the July-September quarter”, I guess? But then what does “it” refer to? “Personal spending”, I guess? Then we have “intensifying expectations of personal spending, that personal spending more than doubled the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending…”

Wow, that’s another pronoun mess. I think we can safely get rid of (C).

Quote:
D. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, more than doubling that of

Same pronoun error as in (A), so (D) is gone.

Quote:
E. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it would more than double that of

Same pronoun error as in (A) and (D), so (E) is gone, too.

We’re left with (B). Yay pronouns.

Hi GMATNinja
Just wanted to clarify, expectations 'that' - is this a correct idiom that is used on the GMAT ? could the answer choices C, D and E be eliminated based on the this incorrect idiom usage ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V29
GPA: 2.96
Send PM
Hi,

I have a problem with the noun modifier "that" in "that personal spending in the July-September quarter would more than double". Here, the "that" is a relative pronoun, which acts as the subject the following clause. I assumed after "that" as a relative pronoun only "verb" is allowed, however, here we introduce the new subject of "personal spending".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectatio [#permalink]
Could anyone please explain the usage of verb "doulbe" here?
Is the idea trying to say “personal spending doubled the growth rate, which was 1.4 percentage before”?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [0]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
td wrote:

It was expected that spending would more than double. Only B says so....
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts