It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 19:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much bec

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Re: Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much bec [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 21:59
i think this question is easy because it test structure not meaning relation. understand structure well is ok to do this. we can learn from oa a new pattern

as much because .... as because

is the new pattern not mentioned in grammar book but can be learned from the oa in section. this learning situation is normal. we learn the pattern from the text we are reading not only from grammar book.
this simple thinking is important for use to see grammar in text with the help of grammar books. our thinking is not that we learn patterns in grammar books only

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 41

Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much bec [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 22:09
Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much because of their sales of a year
earlier being so bad as that
shoppers were getting a head start on buying their holiday gifts.

A. of their sales of a year earlier being so bad as that :as much because.....as that.... NOT PARALLEL. Also 'being' is suspect here
B. of their sales a year earlier having been as bad as becauseas much because of their.......as because shoppers. NOT PARALLEL. Also 'Having been' is awkward
C. of their sales a year earlier being as bad as becauseas bad as.....should be followed by a noun. So Incorrect. Also 'being' a suspect.
D. their sales a year earlier had been so bad as becauseas much because their sales.......as because shoppers.. PARALLEL. CORRECT !
E. their sales of a year earlier were as bad as thatas much because ........as that...Not Parallel.

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 41

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2015, 19:41
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
B

Kudos [?]: 542 [1], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2015, 21:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much because of their sales of a year earlier being so bad as that shoppers were getting a head start on buying their holiday gifts.

1) We're looking for the structure as much because...as because...2) "because of + noun/-ing verb or because + noun + verb is correct. "their sales of a year earlier being bad" is a very awkward phrase that functions like a noun but should be stated better (with because + subject + verb). Eliminate A, B, C.

D. their sales a year earlier had been so bad as because
E. their sales of a year earlier were as bad as that past perfect (had been, not were) is needed to describe an action in the past that happened prior to another action in the past. First the sales were bad and then it was reported.

Kudos [?]: 542 [1], given: 23

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 3.86
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2015, 07:02
+1 D
"because of" should be followed by a noun, here there is a clause.
Clause + Because + Clause
Clause + Because of + Noun/Noun Phrase

So D is the correct answer.

8 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 401 [8], given: 886

Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2015, 12:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This questions tests a very popular structure that the Gmat loves to test - Because and Because of.
Notice here that there is a split of 3:2 between because and because of in the answer choices.

Usage of "Because"
Jack came late to office because he was working till late last night.

Because X , Y - here X is a dependent clause and Y is the independent clause.

There are two main uses of Because
1) Because -> Modifies a clause.
2) Because -> Takes a clause.

Difference between "Because of" and "Due to"

Delay in the match was due to heavy rain

So the construction of "Due to"
1) Due to modifies noun or noun phrase (here Delay)
2) Due to takes noun or noun phrase

Match was delayed because of heavy rain

So the construction of "Because of"
1) "Because of" modifies Clause
2) "Because of" takes noun or noun phrase

Lets come back to the answer choices now

A. of their sales of a year earlier being so bad as that
- Because of should take a noun or noun phrase but here Because of is taking a clause hence incorrect.

B. of their sales a year earlier having been as bad as because
- Because of should take a noun or noun phrase but here Because of is taking a clause hence incorrect.

C. of their sales a year earlier being as bad as because

- Because takes a clause and here that is correct.
Also here the parallel structure Because X ... as Because Y is there hence this seems a correct choice.

E. their sales of a year earlier were as bad as that
- Because is taking a clause correctly but the structure - Because X ... as that Y is not correct hence this is the incorrect answer choice.

Kudos me if you like my post !!!!

Kudos [?]: 401 [8], given: 886

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 3.86
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2015, 07:16
akhil911 wrote:
This questions tests a very popular structure that the Gmat loves to test - Because and Because of.
Notice here that there is a split of 3:2 between because and because of in the answer choices.

Usage of "Because"
Jack came late to office because he was working till late last night.

Because X , Y - here X is a dependent clause and Y is the independent clause.

There are two main uses of Because
1) Because -> Modifies a clause.
2) Because -> Takes a clause.

Difference between "Because of" and "Due to"

Delay in the match was due to heavy rain

So the construction of "Due to"
1) Due to modifies noun or noun phrase (here Delay)
2) Due to takes noun or noun phrase

Match was delayed because of heavy rain

So the construction of "Because of"
1) "Because of" modifies Clause
2) "Because of" takes noun or noun phrase

Lets come back to the answer choices now

- Because takes a clause and here that is correct.
Also here the parallel structure Because X ... as Because Y is there hence this seems a correct choice.

- Because is taking a clause correctly but the structure - Because X ... as that Y is not correct hence this is the incorrect answer choice.

That's a very good explanation.
However I try to remember it in a very short way:

Clause + Because + Clause
Clause + Because of + Noun Phrase
Noun Phrase + Due to + Noun Phrase

Hope this helps!! :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2015, 08:49
You are making it far too complicated. Let's recheck it.

Retailers reported (past tense)
...moderate gains in their November sales, as much because of their sales of a year earlier (a year before that past event)
...being so bad as that shoppers were getting a head start on buying their holiday gifts.

Hmmm... seems like a textbook case for the use of the past perfect, don't you think?

Wrong. No past perfect. Contains being. Bad use of "because of."

Wrong. No past perfect. Bad use of "because of."

Wrong. No past perfect. Bad use of "because of."

Past perfect detected. Because followed by a clause. Leading candidate.

Wrong. Uses simple past rather than past perfect.
---------------------
D must be the credited response.

Why delve into which idiom is correct or incorrect when a simple tense error is staring one in the face?

GMAT Instructor
ApexGMAT
http://www.apexgmat.com/

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2015, 13:45

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager
Status: Build your own dreams,Otherwise some one else will hire you to build there's.

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Finance
Schools: BYU-Marriott'18
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.68
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 19:13
I choose D because of "had".As,this action happened earlier.Then,next action in past happeneding gifts.(head-starting for buying gifts) ---35 sec.

"Follow your heart and realize that your dream is a dream for a reason"
-Dori Roberts

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 30

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2016, 06:47

Verbal Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1012 [0], given: 81

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 11:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much because of their sales of a year
earlier being so bad as that
shoppers were getting a head start on buying their holiday gifts.

A. of their sales of a year earlier being so bad as that -- Parallelism issue -- as much because .. as that and usage of being , Sales of a year is wrong
B. of their sales a year earlier having been as bad as because -- As bad as -- the comparison element is missing , having been is awkward
C. of their sales a year earlier being as bad as because -- As bad as -- the comparison element is missing , also usage of being
D. their sales a year earlier had been so bad as because -- Correct
E. their sales of a year earlier were as bad as that -- Parallelism issue -- as much because .. as that , Sales of a year is wrong ,

Answer D

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1012 [0], given: 81

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 01:54

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 4

Schools: Schulich '16

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 05:51
mostly because of is wrong on gmat

i marked D here which is better than E.

i didn't find A,B and C concise

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 349

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 22:13
i believe identifying the As X as Y clause is the key here.

Clarity on usage of "had" :-

2 actions at different time frames are mentioned;
1st- Sales were bad last year;
2nd -Reported moderate gains this november;

Since Sales were reportedly less last year therefore the expected moderate gains in November sales were reported;
Therefore the 2 actions are co-relatable and using "had" to denote the earluer of the 2 sentences makes sense;

Now by rules of parallel structure, when 2 clauses are being compared they should start of with identical words, hence one can easily eleminate A and E; On the basis of usage of "had" we are left with only D

Kudos- in case u liked the explanation :D

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 349

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 97

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 13:28
Concepts Tested :
i) as much x as y ( x n y parallell) ==> as much because…..as because
ii) "because of" is followed by noun or noun phrase

A. of their sales of a year earlier being so bad as that --> wrong usage of "because of"
B. of their sales a year earlier having been as bad as because --> wrong usage of "because of"
C. of their sales a year earlier being as bad as because --> wrong usage of "because of"
D. their sales a year earlier had been so bad as because --> Correct both errors : "as much because X as because Y"
E. their sales of a year earlier were as bad as that --> "Incorrect structure - as much because X as that Y"

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 97

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 143

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT"19
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 06:21
Dear Mod
Is there any other way apart from as much because...as because to find out the correct option. i Was stuck between D and E

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 143

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3519 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 05:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kannu44 wrote:
Dear Mod
Is there any other way apart from as much because...as because to find out the correct option. i Was stuck between D and E

In D "a year earlier" is an adverb (adverbial phrase) referring to the verb "had been": The sales had been bad a year earlier.
In E, an adverb cannot be used - a noun is required since here the usage is as an object of preposition:
OF + noun/ noun phrase... correct
OF + adverb/ adverbial phrase... wrong.
Thus "of an year earlier" is wrong - should be "of the earlier year": "the earlier year" is a noun phrase, but "an year earlier" is an adverbial phrase.

Kudos [?]: 3519 [1], given: 22

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 997

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 21:32
D: "had been so bad" - should it not be "was so bad"?

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 997

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2017, 03:00
Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much because of their sales of a year earlier being so bad as that shoppers were getting a head start on buying their holiday gifts.

answer is D
A and C are out usage of being
their sales of a year is awkward E is out

In B we have present been present perfect continuous which is not correct
as something as already happened in past past perfect makes complete sense here
D is the best answer

Note:- Always look for time markers in the sentence ex- By the end of the year after ,before and so on

Kudos please if you feel its informative

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 10

Re: Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much bec   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2017, 03:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 65 posts ] 

Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much bec

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap