Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Re: Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much bec [#permalink]
GMATNinja

Hello GMATNinja would you like to shed some light over here?
A prompt question regarding this SC problem and specifically about answer choice D, is the use of past perfect the best option (wouldn't simple past be much better)? We have an "earlier" that explains the order of elements and as far as I know , whenever the time order is obvious the use of past perfect is redundant (I'm not sure whether it could be even considered wrong)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much bec [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
GMATNinja

Hello GMATNinja would you like to shed some light over here?
A prompt question regarding this SC problem and specifically about answer choice D, is the use of past perfect the best option (wouldn't simple past be much better)? We have an "earlier" that explains the order of elements and as far as I know , whenever the time order is obvious the use of past perfect is redundant (I'm not sure whether it could be even considered wrong)

You’re right to point out that the past perfect is for talking about something that happened in the past BEFORE something else. For example: “I had already eaten the cake when she got home.” She got home AFTER the cake had been eaten.

In choice (D), the word “earlier” helps us understand WHEN the sales were so bad—they were so bad a year earlier. Even though the time marker AND past perfect might seem redundant, it's actually totally fine to use both.

In fact, the past perfect helps clarify the timing of the actions in choice (D). If you have the past simple (“because their sales of a year earlier were so bad as because shoppers were getting a head start…”), it's somewhat ambiguous when the shoppers had their head start--did they have it the year earlier too?

Take a look at this stripped-down version of (D):

“Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales because shoppers were getting a head start on buying their holiday gifts.”
    • Notice that the shoppers got a head start in November of the current year.
    • But the bad sales happened a year before that.

Looking back at the full sentence, the timing of the two actions in (D) would be pretty confusing if we used simple past for both. The past perfect helps us understand that the bad sales happened the year before the shoppers got a head start.

Generally speaking, there are no ironclad rules for when you should and should not use the past perfect (for more on that, check out this post). Also, you'll never have to look at a single sentence in a bubble and decide whether to use past perfect or simple past.

Your job is to select the best option out of the five available choices. And in the only option that uses simple past (choice E), the structure of the comparison is way off. So we're stuck with past perfect, whether we like it or not :).
Quote:
Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much because of their sales of a year earlier being so bad as that shoppers were getting a head start on buying their holiday gifts.

(A) of their sales of a year earlier being so bad as that
(B) of their sales a year earlier having been as bad as because
(C) of their sales a year earlier being as bad as because
(D) their sales a year earlier had been so bad as because
(E) their sales of a year earlier were as bad as that

Request Expert Reply:
Hi Honorable Experts,
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, GMATGuruNY, AjiteshArun, VeritasPrepHailey, AnthonyRitz, BrightOutlookJenn,
I'm facing problem with the use of idiom for this question.
The correct choice D is:
Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much because their sales a year earlier had been so bad as because shoppers were getting a head start on buying their holiday gifts.
We see as much as and so as idiom. Which one has been used here? Appreciating your help.
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Quote:
Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much because of their sales of a year earlier being so bad as that shoppers were getting a head start on buying their holiday gifts.

(A) of their sales of a year earlier being so bad as that
(B) of their sales a year earlier having been as bad as because
(C) of their sales a year earlier being as bad as because
(D) their sales a year earlier had been so bad as because
(E) their sales of a year earlier were as bad as that

Request Expert Reply:
Hi Honorable Experts,
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, GMATGuruNY, AjiteshArun, VeritasPrepHailey, AnthonyRitz, BrightOutlookJenn,
I'm facing problem with the use of idiom for this question.
The correct choice D is:
Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much because their sales a year earlier had been so bad as because shoppers were getting a head start on buying their holiday gifts.
We see as much as and so as idiom. Which one has been used here? Appreciating your help.

Since "as much" is not underlined, we have to use "as much... as" here, or else we leave the "as much" dangling. The "so" is not a part of an idiom. "so bad as" means "sufficiently bad to produce the following result" -- it's like "so bad that." Such a reading would make no sense here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
AndrewN - Request your expert guidance here.

While I clearly understand the application of "because" (takes a clause) and "because of" (takes noun/noun phrase), I am not clear how do we know if these options are actually taking "clause" or "noun/noun phrase". I also get the correct parallelism and idiom usage in Option D, so no issues with the correct answer D.

For example:
Quote:
A. of their sales of a year earlier being so bad as that
- Because of should take a noun or noun phrase but here Because of is taking a clause hence incorrect.

Consider the complete sentence:

Isn't this sentence (highlighted in blue), which is followed by "because of", a noun phrase as it doesn't have a verb?

akhil911 wrote:
This questions tests a very popular structure that the Gmat loves to test - Because and Because of.
Notice here that there is a split of 3:2 between because and because of in the answer choices.

Usage of "Because"
Jack came late to office because he was working till late last night.

Because X , Y - here X is a dependent clause and Y is the independent clause.

There are two main uses of Because
1) Because -> Modifies a clause.
2) Because -> Takes a clause.

Difference between "Because of" and "Due to"

Delay in the match was due to heavy rain

So the construction of "Due to"
1) Due to modifies noun or noun phrase (here Delay)
2) Due to takes noun or noun phrase

Match was delayed because of heavy rain

So the construction of "Because of"
1) "Because of" modifies Clause
2) "Because of" takes noun or noun phrase

Lets come back to the answer choices now

- Because of should take a noun or noun phrase but here Because of is taking a clause hence incorrect.

B. of their sales a year earlier having been as bad as because

C. of their sales a year earlier being as bad as because

D. their sales a year earlier had been so bad as because
- Because takes a clause and here that is correct.
Also here the parallel structure Because X ... as Because Y is there hence this seems a correct choice.

E. their sales of a year earlier were as bad as that
- Because is taking a clause correctly but the structure - Because X ... as that Y is not correct hence this is the incorrect answer choice.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Pankaj0901 wrote:
AndrewN - Request your expert guidance here.

While I clearly understand the application of "because" (takes a clause) and "because of" (takes noun/noun phrase), I am not clear how do we know if these options are actually taking "clause" or "noun/noun phrase". I also get the correct parallelism and idiom usage in Option D, so no issues with the correct answer D.

For example:
Quote:

Consider the complete sentence:

Isn't this sentence (highlighted in blue), which is followed by "because of", a noun phrase as it doesn't have a verb?

Yes, Pankaj0901, you are correct. The snippet of text in question—their sales of a year earlier being so bad—serves in the capacity of a noun, and it cannot be labeled a clause in the absence of a proper verb: being is a participle that modifies sales. Sure, there are other problems with the original sentence, but sometimes these quick analyses are a little too quick and dismissive and may be somewhat misleading (even though I am sure they were written with good intentions).

I would add to this dialogue that this is an older question, and in 2011, when it would have appeared in the OG 12, idioms were more commonly tested than they are today. This is not to say that the question is not worthy of attention, but to suggest that you should study it as more of a niche topic and file that information away for potential use later.

I hope that helps clarify the matter in this particular case. Remember to go by what is on the screen. If something looks off to you but you are unsure about it, you can keep that answer choice in the running in your first pass of the options. Compare to alternative answer choices to see how they might fix the issue. Narrow the pool of choices and select the one that is hardest to argue against.

Thank you for thinking to ask me about this one.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja - Can you please break this one down for us?
is sales "of" a year acceptable in A and E ?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
enigma1504 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja - Can you please break this one down for us?
is sales "of" a year acceptable in A and E ?

Hello enigma1504,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Yes, the phrase "sales of a year earlier" is surely unidiomatic in Choices A and E.

This sentence uses the phrase "as much X as Y" in which entities X and Y must be parallel. Also, the idiom must be worded correctly.

Choice A is incorrect because it uses the idiom "as much because of... (X) as that... (Y)". Clearly, entity X is not parallel to entity Y. X = a phrase while Y - a clause.

Choice B repeats the same parallelism error. Also, the usage of "having as bad" is not correct. Again, the correct idiom is "as bad as something". But this letter part is missing in this choice.

Choice C again repeats both errors of Choice B.

Choice D is indeed the correct answer. The compared entities are perfectly parallel.

Choice E has the error that you pointed out. In addition, it has the error of "as bad" usage. Also, "as" must be followed by "because, not "that".

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Schools: IIMA WBS '22
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
affordable = inexpensive.
In A, the usage of affordable implies that devout Muslims are obligated to visit Mecca only if the visit will be INEXPENSIVE.
Not the intended meaning.
The intended meaning is that devout Muslims are obligated to visit Mecca if THEY CAN AFFORD TO DO SO.
Eliminate A.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/affordable

from Beat the GMAT forum
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 630 Q46 V31
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
varadmaheshwari wrote:
Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much because of their sales of a year
earlier being so bad as that
shoppers were getting a head start on buying their holiday gifts.
D. their sales a year earlier had been so bad as because

hi'
the Q tests parallelism ..
as much because X as because Y
here X and Y should be parallel
"as much because" is already in nonunderlined portion, so underlined portion should have 'as because"..

the choices
D. their sales a year earlier had been so bad as because...correct

Hey, why is the "of" in options A,B,C incorrect?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM