Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Management
Schools:Harvard, Penn, Maryland
 Q45  V41 GMAT 2: 760  Q48  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Concentration: Management
Schools:Harvard, Penn, Maryland
 Q45  V41 GMAT 2: 760  Q48  V47
Send PM
Re: Retake GMAT - shattered 600(no improvement)-- Need suggetion [#permalink]
the 5.5 years experience will definitely help you out with getting accepted. A big deal is also your undergrad GPA and how well you can write your essays. I would look at Top-100 business schools and do some research on ones that's median GMAT score is like 580-620 and see what you come up with. I know once you get out of the top 25 information becomes hard to find tho. You can also e-mail the school administrators to get information, they are usually pretty helpful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Send PM
I don't agree with DK94588 on the issue that 3 rd attempt is not worth unless its result is extremely high (750+).
IMO, any number greater than ur previous score must give impression to adcom that u didn't give up, tried and eventually found ur spot. Is it logically true? Besides, all the Universities - top 1-30, 31-100, say they will consider the highest score of the applicant. None of them mention about averages or low scores.

Maverick2008, I am on the same boat as u are. But wondered urs is 600 (q49,v25) but mine is 630 (q50, v25): don't u think there is something strange round off and round up?

Anyway, i suggest u to retake. Believe me u will be pleased to do so.
With High score on GMAT u ' ll (other things being equal)
1) may be accepted to top schools
2) feel satisfied at least personally. After proving u can also nail it.
3) feel urself confident.

We can be study partners. I am sure 3rd attempt will be the last
one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2293 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 V25
Send PM
Thanks UMB for such a support.

I too scored low in GMAT 580(v25,q44) on 15th September. As maverick I have also the same feeling about test center. I strongly feel that quant score is not correct which I deserve actually because in my last attempt I scored 540(v17,q48), and now quant score deduced due to lot of strength to distracted material such as MGMAT quant. Believe me, don't rely on MGMAT CAT quant at all; they have all lengthy problems which will never pop up on your screen during exam. GMAT goes with tricky but tiny problems, which gives you 'aha' feeling of satisfaction.
Apart from that I need to work on Inference and evaluate type questions. I have problems on those and GMAT caught me there; I found almost 4-5 inference questions on exam. Anyway I want start for the next and last attempt.
Let me know if I can join you duo. Please PM me.

Thanks once again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Friends,
I took GMATtoday in India (Bangalore). Got 580 ( Q 40 , V 30). Couldnt digest the fact that I scored just 40 on Quant. In fact I worked enough on Quant. After completing Quant , during the break , I never had a feeling that my quant went bad. Quant was tough ofcourse. However , I thought I will get atleast 45. I really dont understand the logic of evaluation. Do they stress on 1st 15 questions ? I really suspect the score computation process...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Send PM
dear venkygin,

Maybe u made some careless mistakes. GMAT is designed to give u impression that u are making evth OK. Questions are way tricky: slightly losing concentration may have costed u too much.

I would forget doubts about computing method of GMAT. Good news is u have enough room to improve.

Accept this day as a bad one and give another shoot. This time be careful and know wether u r ready.
Good luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot UMB and dk94588 for inspirational stuffs. I am also gearing up for my 3rd attempt. But I have lost the confidence on the test center in my location. In my last both the tests, I took test from same center and same terminal. Some people may say this is trivial issue , but for me I have lost full confidence on that test center. Since my mock tests were going so well , the final scores are really shocking to me. In fact I am confused what was going wrong. GMAT is not an illusion I believe. If you do well consistently in your practice test , you can expect same performance in the final test as well .
UMB and dk94588 , let me know your 3rd test plan. Since application deadline for most of the b-school are drawing in , we may need to take the final one by december end.
Let me know your study plan as well.
Best of luck all of you.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1029 [0]
Concentration: General
 Q50  V34
Send PM
guys.....
only one thing from my side...donno if it will be helpful.
when you prepare, prepare like u are giving your life. when you go to the exam, go with the mindset that you will get #@$%ed outright. dont relate your gmatprep score and actual exam score. you may get either more or less. always go to the exam with the mindset that you will do badly. Then , if you really do well, consider it a bonus, otherwise, you are anyway not disappointed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
just my $0.02...i spent about 2 months preparing. first month i focused on learning the strategies for each problem type (using a Kaplan book, and problems to enforce my knowledge), and the second month i focused on working as many problems as i could from the official guide (on mba.com, the big orange book and two free downloadable full-length tests). the thing that helped me the most was not only to *do* the problems, but to really *understand* why i was getting particular problems wrong. did i miss the subject-verb agreement, or for quant did i miss a certain value that disproved my answer? that way i knew what to think about next time around. when you think about it, the subject matter isn't hard, but the questions are super-tricky, and what you're training yourself on is spotting the tricks.

the other thing for actual test day is a little more psychological: relax!!! don't study the day before--you won't learn anything new. just relax, watch a movie or something. on test day, wake up early, and read a newspaper to get your mind going. make sure to get 8 hours of sleep the night before and eat a big high-protein breakfast, and lots of caffeine. i surprised myself with a 750 (Q49,V46,A6.0) on my first try (scored much lower on the practice exams).

good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
You should definitely retake it. Believe in yourself and study hard in the next month or two.

I got the same exact score on my first two attempts (640).
Then I decided to seriously study for the exam and got a 710 6.0 on my third try.

B-schools take your HIGHEST score so don't be afraid to take the exam multiple times.
GMAT Club Bot