Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:55 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Retake Question [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
jeffdill wrote:
Thanks for moving this, I realized this is a more appropriate section after I posted it!

When I say retaking may hurt apps I mean that studying would take some time away from essays, it might affect the quality, who knows. Plus the cost of retaking! I get the impression I should go round 1 with my profile, so I was hoping to still make those deadlines.

Posted from my mobile device

Well, the BIG question is: what is the REST of your profile like?

Getting into a school like HBS (or any other top school for that matter) has less to do with GMAT and more to do with pedigree + experience + essays. The GMAT is more of a "minimum requirement", and technically, a 700 is good enough to get you into any MBA program in the world. The question is rather, what does the REST of your profile look like?

Originally posted by Admissionado on 15 Jul 2013, 02:06.
Last edited by Admissionado on 16 Jul 2013, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Well, the BIG question is: what is the REST of your profile like?

Getting into a school like HBS (or any other top school for that matter) has less to do with GMAT and more to do with pedigree + experience + essays. The GMAt is more of a "minimum requirement", and technically, a 700 is good enough to get you into any MBA program in the world. The question is rather, what does the REST of your profile look like?

Thanks for the reply, Jon. I just wanted to be sure that my score is good enough to "check the box" for GMAT at a school like Harvard, Chicago, etc. I know the other aspects of my application are equally or even more important, but GMAT score is one of the few things that I can actually control at this point - I don't want it to hold me back. It sounds like you think it should be sufficient.

But as for the rest of my profile:
-25 year old American male
-Graduated in Industrial Engineering at a large state school
-3.55 undergrad GPA, 3.84 major GPA
-700 GMAT (44Q, 41V) - expect an 8 in IR and a 6 in AWA
-Four years work experience (at matriculation) in an engineering position (R&D)
-No real leadership experience in job or extra curriculars (this is the part that concerns me most, but it's not like there's anything I can do about it at this point - my letters of recommendation will have to help with this)
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Jeff,

To your original question and as Jon mentioned, a 700 puts you in the club. With a 3.5+ in an engineering program and a 700, the adcoms won't be concerned with your academic ability. It isn't a differentiator, but it's definitely in play. Also, if you're looking to move to management consulting, it clears the cut off most firms place (a lot have GMAT score requirements kind of like in undergrad firms had GPA cut offs).

My main question for you is why are you looking to apply this year? You'll have 3 years at the time of application and that's a little on the low side when you're not coming from an "accelerated" career path (e.g. I Banking, PE, Consulting, etc.). So to your concern about leadership professionally and extracurricularly, I would say there IS something you can (and should) do about that.

Honestly, I think it may be in your best interest to hold off on applications for maybe a year or two. At work, actively seek out leadership experiences and see if you can line up a promotion. If that means switching companies, that can be an option. Outside of work, find something you're passionate about and use that as an opportunity to develop the skills you may or may not have the opportunity to develop at work.

Your recommendations can only help you so much - they will only be as good as what you can give them.

I don't mean the above negatively by any means - I think your goals and target programs (e.g. Duke) make sense. They're great programs and they'll really help you make that switch. However, a program like Duke is a very tight knit community and really looks at leadership (both professionally and other) to differentiate candidates.

I think you've got a little bit of time - so take that time to strengthen the rest of your profile and, if you have the time, retake the GMAT! A higher score is always a great thing and you have the time to focus on your development areas.

Cheers,

Bhavik
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:
Hey Jeff,

My main question for you is why are you looking to apply this year? You'll have 3 years at the time of application and that's a little on the low side when you're not coming from an "accelerated" career path (e.g. I Banking, PE, Consulting, etc.). So to your concern about leadership professionally and extracurricularly, I would say there IS something you can (and should) do about that.

Honestly, I think it may be in your best interest to hold off on applications for maybe a year or two. At work, actively seek out leadership experiences and see if you can line up a promotion. If that means switching companies, that can be an option. Outside of work, find something you're passionate about and use that as an opportunity to develop the skills you may or may not have the opportunity to develop at work.

Hello Bhavik, thank you for your reply.

I understand your concern with my relatively little work experience. The reason why I want to apply this year is that I feel that in another year it will be the right time for me to move on to a different position. I have received a lot of great experiences during my time in this job, many of which will make great application topics, but there is no room for promotion within my department. I figure that since I'd have to move to go to a different position, it made sense to go for an MBA now instead of get a year into a new position and jump ship. I won't lie, I have personal reasons too - my girlfriend is starting law school this fall, so me applying for 2014 start means we would graduate at the same time. That's certainly negotiable, but logistically it makes the most sense!

Originally posted by jeffdill on 15 Jul 2013, 07:44.
Last edited by jeffdill on 15 Jul 2013, 08:25, edited 2 times in total.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Then that makes sense to me too. Each of these reasons makes perfect sense to me! If that's the case, then your entire application will need to work together to communicate key themes and you'll have to diversify the school portfolio to include some safeties. The lack of explicit leadership experiences is of concern but you do have involvement and if your work experiences are compelling, that's half the battle. Essentially, we'd want to consider the full gamut of top 20 programs. If your goal is MC, then there are a lot of things to consider that go beyond mere job placement.

I'd love to help you talk through this and we can either do that right here or we can set up time to chat. It might be easier to jump on the phone so, if you'd like, you can sign up for a consultation here. I conduct them all myself so it'd be a great way to continue this conversation!

I'll leave the medium up to you but I look forward to discussing it with you!

Bhavik
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
jeffdill wrote:
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:
Hey Jeff,

Hello Bhavik, thank you for your reply.

I understand your concern with my relatively little work experience. The reason why I want to apply this year is that I feel that in another year it will be the right time for me to move on to a different position. I have received a lot of great experiences during my time in this job, many of which will make great application topics, but there is no room for promotion within my department. I figure that since I'd have to move to go to a different position, it made sense to go for an MBA now instead of get a year into a new position and jump ship. I won't lie, I have personal reasons too - my girlfriend is starting law school this fall, so me applying for 2014 start means we would graduate at the same time. That's certainly negotiable, but logistically it makes the most sense!

Personal reasons are totally valid my friend... Sometimes they make even more sense than professional ones. (Am I allowed to say this? ). So you have good reasons, and it seems from your initial post you have four years of experience... so actually no need for you to wait. (And how cool would it be if you both got into the same school/school int he same city?)

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot