GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 Mar 2020, 21:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Retaking the GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Retaking the GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2019, 16:19
Hello everyone, I'd like to get some advice on retaking the GMAT.

So I gave the GMAT exam last week and I got a score of 650 (Q47, V32). I was quite disappointed and I cancelled my score rather hurriedly.
I intend to give the GMAT once again in two months and was wondering if that amount of time would suffice to raise my score to anywhere between 680 and 710.

My prep until the exam was as follows:
1) I studied a little over 2.5 months
2) I gave 6 mock tests in the following order MGMAT1 (620), Veritas 1 (630), Veritas 2 (650), Kaplan 1 (670, Q47, V35 ), GMAT Prep 1 (680, Q47, V35), GMAT Prep 2 (690, Q46, V38)
3) I initially studied the OG, but then I used the MGMAT books for both Verbal and Quant.
4) I probably studied for 2 hours a day on a weekday and probably anywhere between 4-6 hours on a weekend.
5) Once I was done with studying, I solved quite a few problems from the GMAT club website.

I think it's pretty clear that I haven't spent enough time studying, and is probably the reason why I haven't attained the score that I want.
My tests have shown an upward trend which led me to believe that I would get around 680 or so.

I believe the thing i struggle with most is coming up with a good study plan and sticking to it.
Things I definitely know I'm weak in/struggle with:

Quant
1) Combinatorics: I effectively gave up here. Need some good resources for this.
2) Coordinate Geometry: I'm not particularly bad at this topic, but the 700 level questions were definitely quite tough.
3) I haven't spent enough time on 700 level questions. To get a Q score higher than 47 I believe I would have to practice more 700 level questions.
Is MGMAT advanced quant a good resource?

Verbal
1) Have not spent sufficient time solving RCs. This was easily evident from how my GMAT exam went. I started slow and then rushed in the middle to make up time.
2) CRs: I'm usually very good at solving CRs in isolation or by topic, but I feel like I messed up pretty bad on the main exam.
3) SCs: I'm typically on point with SCs. While I'm no expert by any means, I typically do well in this section.
Overall with verbal, i don't think I have enough practice with solving all three types of questions randomly. By topic I usually do pretty well.

Just to provide some background:
I live in Canada, and I'm applying to Canadian schools only.
U of T, McGill and Yorke in that particular order of preference.
I studied at McGill and I have a pretty good GPA, but I'd like to get a good GMAT score to supplement it.

I currently live and work in Toronto and U of T would be the ideal school to get into.

Thanks for reading, and any help is appreciated.
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Reviews Badge
Re: Retaking the GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2019, 17:47
Ap2190 - Welcome to GMAT Club and congratulation on getting a 650 on the GMAT. You should immediately purchase the ESR; the ESR will provide some great insights on your sub-sectional performance, including timing. A score of 650 shows that your basics are clear and you would thereby need to fine-tune certain areas to increase your score to the 700 level. That said, I would recommend that you review an excellent forum post on retake plan. The post will help you immensely to make a decision. All the best!
Recommendations and Resources for GMAT Retake: https://gmatclub.com/forum/should-i-ret ... 83339.html

New to GMAT Club? Start with the study plan!
Should I retake GMAT? Retaking GMAT Strategies!

What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2019, 06:32
Hi Ap2190,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. I see that you are not happy with your 650; however, given that your practice test scores ranged from 620 to 690, 650 (on the real GMAT) is not a total disaster, right?

Regarding how to move forward, I tend to agree with your assessment of your situation, and feel that, if you can put in some effective prep, you can improve your GMAT score to close to or above 700 in a reasonable amount of time. Certainly, if you’d like any specific advice on how to improve your quant and verbal skills, free free to reach back out.

Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
197 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2019, 12:44
Hi Ap2190,

First off, a 650/Q47 is a solid Score, so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. That having been said, there's no harm in continuing to study - and you have the opportunity to pick up some serious points in both the Quant and Verbal sections.

You're actually closer to a 700+ than you probably realize. GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your recent CAT score results - along with your Official Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 670 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Right now, you do NOT need to be focused on "700 level" questions; you need to be focused on learning and practicing the proper Tactics so that you do not let any of the 'gettable' questions slip past you on Test Day.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What application deadlines are you currently considering?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

While the Enhanced Score Report doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2019, 18:22
Hi, thanks for the quick response. I'll definitely check out the link.
Is the ESR something I can still purchase even though I've cancelled my score?
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2019, 19:27
Ap2190 - Yes, you can purchase an ESR even though you canceled your score. Please login to mba.com and visit your "My Account" page. In the past GMAT exams, you'll see an option to "Enter ESR Code". Click on the link and you'll notice a purchase option: Purchase an activation code.

Ap2190 wrote:
Hi, thanks for the quick response. I'll definitely check out the link.
Is the ESR something I can still purchase even though I've cancelled my score?

New to GMAT Club? Start with the study plan!
Should I retake GMAT? Retaking GMAT Strategies!

What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2019, 14:34
DisciplinedPrep - Thanks for the tip, I was able to get my ESR and it's quite telling.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2019, 14:36
ScottTargetTestPrep - Hi Scott! You're absolutely right, its not a complete disaster. Definitely a platform from which i can build on.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2019, 14:42
EMPOWERgmatRichC

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Ap2190,

First off, a 650/Q47 is a solid Score, so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. That having been said, there's no harm in continuing to study - and you have the opportunity to pick up some serious points in both the Quant and Verbal sections.

You're actually closer to a 700+ than you probably realize. GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your recent CAT score results - along with your Official Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 670 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Right now, you do NOT need to be focused on "700 level" questions; you need to be focused on learning and practicing the proper Tactics so that you do not let any of the 'gettable' questions slip past you on Test Day.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What application deadlines are you currently considering?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

While the Enhanced Score Report doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

Hi Rich, thanks for your message.
I agree with you on making certain consistent mistakes, which is why I've been rather reluctant to spend too much time on 700 level questions.

With regards to your questions:

1) I'm looking to submit my applications by R2 for primarily the three schools listed in my OP. U of T Jan 7th, McGill Jan 15th and Yorke Feb 1st. Ideally I'd like to give the GMAT around the 3rd week of November.
2) I'd say I could do about 3 hours a day on a weekday, more if I'm pushed for time. On a weekend, I can do from 5-8 hours a day depending on how productive I am.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2019, 14:48
Hi sorry for the multiple posts, but I was unable to attach my ESR.
It seems like I got a Q47, V31 and still a 650 which doesn't seem to be possible based on the scoring grid.
Attachments

1.PNG
1.PNG [ 69.54 KiB | Viewed 275 times ]

2.PNG
2.PNG [ 65.74 KiB | Viewed 277 times ]

3.PNG
3.PNG [ 50.31 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]

4.PNG
4.PNG [ 73.45 KiB | Viewed 275 times ]

5.PNG
5.PNG [ 71.33 KiB | Viewed 275 times ]

6.PNG
6.PNG [ 67.43 KiB | Viewed 275 times ]

7.PNG
7.PNG [ 19.96 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 21:26
Hi Ap2190,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional notes.

Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Retaking the GMAT   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2019, 21:26

Retaking the GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep