Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Retaking the GMAT after exhausting all resources [#permalink]
Yes, balance in prep is crucial. Over or under preparing really hurts one's score. And Verbal is all about having a set of strategies that you feel comfortable with and practice enough to be second nature. That is a major thing you can improve on this time around. I recommend focusing fully on the MGMAT strategies for that.

A Q49 is plenty high for your goal score. A V41 would give you a 730 with a Q49.

"In general, how should I balance my time between fundamentals, concepts/strategies, practice problems, and CATs?"
Check out GMAT Clarity. It has schedules that help out with this exact problem.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V26
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Retaking the GMAT after exhausting all resources [#permalink]
souvik101990 wrote:
newbornmuse wrote:
I have been placed on the waitlist for one of the schools (top 10) I'm applying to. I know my GMAT was one my weakness (680 Q47 V37) so I will be taking it again in 3 weeks. The last time I took it was ~3 months ago. I have already done all questions from OG13, VR2, QR2, GMAT Prep Default & Question Pack 1 (except for ~80 problems). I have also already taken all 6 MGMAT CATs (along with 3 retakes) and all 4 GMAT Prep Exams (along with 2 retakes). With all these resources exhausted, how should I prepare for my upcoming test?

I feel that the last time I took the test I may have gotten burned out because I was doing and reviewing so many problems everyday. I was also doing applications for 3 top 10 schools at the same time I was preparing for my last attempt. Leading up to the last attempt, I was also taking 2-3 CATs a week. I took the actual GMAT 4 times over 4 months. My scores with dates were:

09/14/2013 - 600 (Q39 V34)
10/15/2013 - 660 (Q44 V38)
11/16/2013 - 680 (Q47 V37)
12/20/2013 - 660 (Q49 V32)

I will take it much easier this time around, but I'm not sure how to find a balance. I also don't have an accurate gauge of my score now because I've done all the good CATs I know of. I think my main problem was that I read too many different Verbal strategies and tried to use too many tricks and shortcuts. I lost focus on my Verbal fundamentals, which probably directly caused my low Verbal score on my last attempt. I will work heavily on that part this time around.

In general, how should I balance my time between fundamentals, concepts/strategies, practice problems, and CATs?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide!

I think this is a hard place to be.
If you are aiming at a 720+ score, you quant needs to be atleast 49 up. It seems, that your quant skills needs revising.

I would suggest this,
Try the last 30 problems of PS and DS from OG 13 and the question pack 1
Try and do those using multiple methods. Try and find out EVERY possible way of solving the problem, especially plugging in numbers and testing cases for DS (I cannot stress the importance of this enough).

For Verbal, I would suggest that you concentrate on RC and CR for a quick improvement. For SC, try and figure out exactly what is wrong in the incorrect answer choices. For CR, try to find out a strengthener and a weakener in ALL the problems ON YOUR OWN.

You should analyse each problem MORE thoroughly than you did last time.

If you feel this is a good approach, let me know and I should be able to help you more.

Best,
S

Hi souvik101990,
Sorry to take the post in a different route but I really need your kind support here. Today I appeared for the 3rd time on GMAT and didn't see any improvement. Previous scores were 620(Q46,V30) 610(Q48,V25) and today 620(Q47,V29). I really worked hard in these two months, worked on my concepts, solved difficult questions and witnessed my Verbal score improve from V29 to V35+ in test preps. I took 6 Veritas & 5 Kaplan tests and the score ranged from 660 to 720. I am really shocked now and don't know what to do(was confident of scoring atleast 680).I am asking myself whether to take mock scores seriously. I have already exhausted all the study material, eGMAT scholaranium, CR/SC GMAT prep comprehensive set and OG. I am totally clueless and in need of some guidance. Request your kind help.

Regards
Manish
GMAT Club Bot
Retaking the GMAT after exhausting all resources [#permalink]