Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1466 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Re: Delete [#permalink]
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... l#p1680625 please visit this url i hope this may help you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
1) How long did you study before taking the GMAT? How much studying have you done since you took the GMAT?
I studied about 4 months prior to taking the test in March. Since then I've been busy wrapping up college so I haven't studied for the GMAT.

2) What study materials have you used?
I have a Kaplan book, the GMATPrep free tests, and a few books from the Princeton Review.

Goals:
3) Why do you think you 'need' a 560 specifically?
It's the cutoff point for a specific school.

4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
I already applied and received an email asking if I could get my score to a 560.

5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
Applied to U of A, IU, and a few others.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jtylka,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long did you study before taking the GMAT? How much studying have you done since you took the GMAT?
2) What study materials have you used?

Goals:
3) Why do you think you 'need' a 560 specifically?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jtylka,

Your score goal is absolutely achievable, but since you haven't studied for some time, you will likely need to (re)learn certain concepts as well as learn/practice some new ones. With the proper materials, you could potentially hit your goal score in a month, but the more likely situation will require 2 months of consistent, guided study.

1) What is the deadline by which you have to submit a new GMAT Score? And what happens if you can't make that deadline (would the School's "offer" still be available even at a later date?)?

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jtylka,

A June 10th deadline would give you about 6 weeks of potential study time. That could potentially be enough time, but you'll have to be really efficient about this next round of studies. I suggest that you take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) sometime soon. That score will give us a better sense of your current skills, so that we can plan out what you need to focus on to hit your score goal.

Rich
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
jtylka wrote:
I have to submit a new score by June 10th. If I can't make that deadline I'm not sure if the same terms will still hold for future start dates.

I have broken out my old books and have started to go over things again. I think my problem is that I've never had to study for anything really in college, therefore it's more difficult for me to study on my own.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jtylka,

Your score goal is absolutely achievable, but since you haven't studied for some time, you will likely need to (re)learn certain concepts as well as learn/practice some new ones. With the proper materials, you could potentially hit your goal score in a month, but the more likely situation will require 2 months of consistent, guided study.

1) What is the deadline by which you have to submit a new GMAT Score? And what happens if you can't make that deadline (would the School's "offer" still be available even at a later date?)?

Rich

Take a practice CAT and review the results. Identify strengths and weaknesses. Work on your weaknesses and then take a different CAT.

Repeat as necessary

You have plenty of time. You could even take a different CAT every week and still make your deadline!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I took one of the free GMAT Prep CATs and received a 490 today. Q 34 and V 24. I'm definitely weak in DS questions as well as questions dealing with rates and inequalities. On the verbal side I don't know what happens but I've done great in English classes in college, but just not on the GMAT in general.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jtylka,

A June 10th deadline would give you about 6 weeks of potential study time. That could potentially be enough time, but you'll have to be really efficient about this next round of studies. I suggest that you take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) sometime soon. That score will give us a better sense of your current skills, so that we can plan out what you need to focus on to hit your score goal.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jtylka,

This recent CAT score is almost identical to the Official Score that you earned back in March, which means that whatever work you've done in the last month (or so) has not led to any type of meaningful improvement. By extension, you probably cannot afford to continue studying in the same ways (and with the same materials). Thankfully, there are a variety of different 'score combinations' that will get you to a 560+, so you could pick up all of the missing points that you're looking for in just the Quant, just the Verbal, or a 'mix' of the two.

Based on everything that you’ve described - including the limited timeframe that you have - I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in well under 2 months, but it's possible that you would not be able to compete the full Study Plan. Thankfully, you won't have to to hit your score goal. There's a good chance that learn and practicing the Stage 1 Tactics would be enough to help you pick up the missing points that you're looking for. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Well !! First things first. Increasing your point from 480 will take some dedicated efforts but it is possible to increase this score to a 560. But it can be achieved.

1) If you have a solid base and your basics are clear, it becomes very easy to increase the score from a 480 to 560. For basics, you can go through the GMAT Club (as you have less time). Check out the following:

a) All you need for quant (it has some valuable information)
b) Bunuel's posts
c) GMAT study plan for verbal by souvik101990

There are many other useful posts by GMAT club users that would help you.

2) After understanding the basics for example you studied numbers today, solve official guide (number properties questions and ANALYZE every single step given in the official guide). In addition, search for that question on this forum and see the different ways in which GMAT club users have answered the same question. FIND YOUR WAY AFTER GOING THROUGH ALL THIS.

3) Very important: No matter you get a question right or wrong, see explanations for every question.
Benefits of doing so:
a) For the questions you got correct, you can see and analyze if your way was the quickest way or not as you have on an average 2 minutes to solve a question.
b) For the questions you got wrong, you have to understand that what is it that you missed. For example, was it a basics problem or you did not understand the question as to what it was trying to ask.

See the basics are same (2+2=4) but in a 500 level question, the question asked would be direct and in a tougher question the language would be indirect.

4) You can make an error log or use google doc to maintain your performance and practice the questions you got wrong every weekend.

5) Don't rush to solving 50 or 100 questions. Even if you solve just 10 or 20, you should be confident on what you just solved (the basics, the language, etc.).

6) You can watch some webinars conducted by e-gmat (e-gmat because I loved their webinars). IMPORTANT: They are free!! :)

7) Just know your strengths and weaknesses. Keep practicing and revising.

8) Also take practice tests (as mentioned above by members) and review your mistakes and plan accordingly.

In the end, NO ONE KNOWS YOU BETTER THAN YOU AND THUS NO ONE CAN DEVISE A STRATEGY FOR YOU BUT YOU. So Good luck.

(You can also go through some debriefs on this forum)

Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Bot