Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [31]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [14]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 517 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink]
Kudos
HopefulOldie wrote:
What do you guys recommend ..

4 MGMAT quant books or Total GMAT Math by Jeff Sackmann. I do have OG 12 and OG Quant

I used this and that math questions and I thought the materials were very good. I started with the MGMAT books and then moved on to Sackmann's materials. In hindsight, MGMAT helped me review the basics and Sackman's materials got me over the hump on how to tackle the quant section. The materials build a great foundation for gmat type questions. I improved drastically after using Sackman's materials but I focused on the tricks and fundamentals.

If you are weak in quant sackman's materials can be a little confusing. If you have decent knowledge go with sackman only.

Let me know if you have more questions about his materials. Total GMAT Math along with his challenge sets were beneficial.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
How to get to 51 from 47/49 in Quant [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hi All,

I am comfortable with Maths. But I am observing that I am not able to make my quant score reach 51.
Though I have not been able to analyse much on the mistakes I think one of the reasons is that I tend to spend little more time on the early questions leaving less time for last ones
and thus committing mistakes in the end. but not sure as to what else can be the problem and how to improve on the same.

Attaching my 2 mcat quant timing sheets, if someone can give me some insights as to how can I improve it.

Thanks much !!!
Attachments

MCAT Quant 2.xlsx [15.29 KiB]
Downloaded 618 times

MCAT Quant 1.xlsx [14.72 KiB]
Downloaded 484 times

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [3]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Re: How to get to 51 from 47/49 in Quant [#permalink]
Kudos
Honestly, if you can get Q49 then Q51 is possible but you just need to have a fantastic day. However, it really isn't worth working towards as a goal because the ROI is so low. It only takes a couple of silly errors on the day and you will ruin your chance of Q51. Much more worthwhile to work on other weak components of your GMAT.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

It is neither too easy nor tough to get a 51 on the GMAT Quant. To develop any skill you need hard work, dedication, time and adaptive learning. Hard work and dedication is something that you can bring in with motivation.

Adaptive Learning is something that can guarantee you a 51. Now you cannot get a 51 on a bad day but we can convert all our normal days to 51. Which is why a 51 score indicates excellence. The following will help you to guarantee a 51:

1) Learning from each mistake : 33 % of the time should be spent practicing and the rest for reviewing the mistakes

2) Carrying more than one technique: You can't rely only on basic algebra skills to get you to the right answer always. There are various other techniques such as Numbers, Back Solving etc. which will help you to tackle tricky situations which can make or break a 51 score

3) Double Checking: If you give an extra 10 seconds to a question to double check your answer. There are many techniques to double check: Examples. Whenever you get an answer double check with an answer. I 'd say that 10 % of the times you will see a mistake.

4) As the famous Alex Ferguson says, " The hardest thing is doing anything the first time." So once you get a 51 once in any test then getting the second 51 won't be that tough.

If you follow all the above then only a bad day will not let you score a 51 and getting that 51 will become a habit.

Pushpinder Gill

Originally posted by CrackverbalGMAT on 16 Oct 2013, 22:32.
Last edited by CrackverbalGMAT on 17 Oct 2013, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
Hi,

It is neither too easy or tough to get a 51 on the GMAT Quant. To develop any skill you need hard work, dedication, time and adaptive learning. Hard work and dedication is something that you can bring in with motivation.

Adaptive Learning is something that can guarantee you a 51. Now you cannot get a 51 on a bad day but we can convert all our normal days to 51. Which is why a 51 score indicates excellence. The following will help you to guarantee a 51:

1) Learning from each mistake : 33 % of the time should be spent practicing and the rest for reviewing the mistakes

2) Carrying more than one technique: You can't rely only on basic algebra skills to get you to the right answer always. There are various other techniques such as Numbers, Back Solving etc. which will help you to tackle tricky situations which can make or break a 51 score

3) Double Checking: If you give an extra 10 seconds to a question to double check your answer. There are many techniques to double check: Examples. Whenever you get an answer double check with an answer. I 'd say that 10 % of the times you will see a mistake.

4) As the famous Alex Ferguson says, " The hardest thing is doing anything the first time." So once you get a 51 once in any test then getting the second 51 won't be that tough.

If you follow all the above then only a bad day will not let you score a 51 and getting that 51 will become a habit.

Pushpinder Gill

Thanks Pushpinder.
Great Inputs !!!!

Till now I have been spending time attempting to solve the questions by doing calculation faster but using the "basic skills" only.
Seems like the 3 techniques you mentioned
A) Analyzing answers. B) Finding an alternative approach to a question c) Double checking.
can be more effective. I have some questions on application of these methods

Background :
I have done question from OG 12 and Quant Review but yes not using these methods.
Questions:
a) Should I be spending time on redoing the same questions OR should I be doing fresh questions.
b) If fresh questions, Please comment of the best resources for the same. From the forums I gathered
jeff sackman extreme-challenge // Total GMAT Maths by Jeff Sackmann // Manhattan Advanced GMAT Quant // GMAT Club Test // OTHERs ?
c) How should I be doing it ?
Timing for 37 questions at a time and trying to complete it in 60 mins. ( read in one of the post on GMAT Club )
OR
Some other way ?

I think i have wasted lot of my preparation time in just doing things and NOT doing in the most appropriate way so want to make sure that I don't it again.

Regards !!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Bookmarks
nitinmehta wrote:
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
Hi,

It is neither too easy or tough to get a 51 on the GMAT Quant. To develop any skill you need hard work, dedication, time and adaptive learning. Hard work and dedication is something that you can bring in with motivation.

Pushpinder Gill

Thanks Pushpinder.
Great Inputs !!!!

Till now I have been spending time attempting to solve the questions by doing calculation faster but using the "basic skills" only.
Seems like the 3 techniques you mentioned
A) Analyzing answers. B) Finding an alternative approach to a question c) Double checking.
can be more effective. I have some questions on application of these methods

Background :
I have done question from OG 12 and Quant Review but yes not using these methods.
Questions:
a) Should I be spending time on redoing the same questions OR should I be doing fresh questions.
b) If fresh questions, Please comment of the best resources for the same. From the forums I gathered
jeff sackman extreme-challenge // Total GMAT Maths by Jeff Sackmann // Manhattan Advanced GMAT Quant // GMAT Club Test // OTHERs ?
c) How should I be doing it ?
Timing for 37 questions at a time and trying to complete it in 60 mins. ( read in one of the post on GMAT Club )
OR
Some other way ?

I think i have wasted lot of my preparation time in just doing things and NOT doing in the most appropriate way so want to make sure that I don't it again.

Regards !!

Hi Nitin,

You could go with Jeff Sackmann book. Just try to aim for accuracy. Maintain an excel sheet with the following columns:
(1) Question number
(2) Right / Wrong
(3) Feedback : Why did you get the question wrong? Scratch paper, Conceptual Problem so that you can see the big picture once you finish 50 questions.

Pushpinder Gill
Quantitative Instructor
CrackVerbal
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos