Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Verb Tense/Formx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V37
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya [#permalink]
solidcolor wrote:
Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement, the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them.

A. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them
B. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete it
C. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete
D. 700,000 artisans took more than 36 years to complete
E. to complete them took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years

I am having a tough time trying to understand the meaning here. the army.......is more than 2000 years old and took 700,00 artisans more than 36 years to complete. But complete what? The army itself?

generis, Sorry for the tag. I waited for a couple of days but got no response from the community. Can you help me with this one?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 556 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya [#permalink]
solidcolor wrote:
Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement, the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them.

Edit: This topic is found in earlier versions of OG, such as OG 12. Since then, GMAC has altered this question slightly over the years. The version in OG 2018 is HERE

Can someone please explain the meaning of in his afterlife in the sentence and what it is modifying in the sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Send PM
Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinja and other experts.
There is a doubt in the verb-ed modifiers. The correct choice when plugged in with the sentence appears as:-
Quote:
Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement, the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete.

After deconstructing the sentence I got confused with the role of "took" . Is it "the army of terra-cotta warriors" that took the artisans more than 36 years?

or is the sentence being said from a third person perspective? Else "took" looks as if modifying "the army of terra cotta warriors" rather and how could "the army of terra cotta warriors" does the action of taking?

There is one more example of OG where the correct choice is as follows:-

Quote:
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

Here, the sentence,
Quote:
the Neanderthals appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path

sounds as if it has been said by a 3rd person , else how can neanderthals themselves appear?

Please clear this doubt I am stuck with such kind of sentence correction question and I cant decipher the action in the sentence.

Thanks,
Ankush
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya [#permalink]
Expert Reply
nkshmalik1 wrote:
After deconstructing the sentence I got confused with the role of "took" . Is it "the army of terra-cotta warriors" that took the artisans more than 36 years?

Yes that's a correct interpretation.

Quote:
or is the sentence being said from a third person perspective? Else "took" looks as if modifying "the army of terra cotta warriors" rather and how could "the army of terra cotta warriors" does the action of taking?

took will always be a verb (and never a modifier). The modifier (past participle) of the verb take is taken (and not took).

So, no element of confusion here :) .

It's a common usage Ankush. For example, following is correct:

The homework took me 5 hours to complete.

Again, took is used as as simple past tense verb. From what I know, this is pretty much the only usage of took.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement, the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China's first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them.

(1) pronoun/antecedent error: “the army [of terra-cotta warriors]” = singular but “them” is plural; moreover, we know “army” is singular with the subsequent/corresponding verb “is,” which is not underlined; (2) unnecessary/redundant pronoun: it’s already clear what took 36 years to complete

(1) unnecessary/redundant pronoun: it’s already clear what took 36 years to complete

bingo

(1) lack of parallelism: “…the army of terra-cotta warriors…is more than 2000 years old…AND [missing a verb after the parallelism trigger – ‘and’] 700,000 artisans took…”

(1) lack of parallelism: “…the army of terra-cotta warriors…is more than 2000 years old…AND to complete them…” – “is” is not parallel to “to complete”; (2) pronoun/antecedent error: “the army [of terra-cotta warriors]” = singular but “them” is plural; moreover, we know “army” is singular with the subsequent/corresponding verb “is,” which is not underlined
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM

Meaning: army of terra-cotta is more than 2000 y.o. and took 700k artisans more than 36 years to complete

A. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them "them" wrongly refers to army of terra-cotta which is a singular noun
B. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete it "took" has "army of terra-cotta" as its subject already, no need to refer to "it" again
C. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete Correct
D. 700,000 artisans took more than 36 years to complete lack verb
E. to complete them took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years them wrongly refer to "army of terra-cotta"
Quote:

Request Expert Reply:
Hi Experts,
created to protect Qin Shi Huang--> is it essential or non-essential modifier? I'm a bit confused about the classification!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM

A. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them-> The army.....took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete. "Them" is incorrect.
B. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete it->The army.....took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete. "it" is incorrect. Because it refers to singular noun the Army, but we don't need it.
C. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete-> It is better. Let's keep it.
D. 700,000 artisans took more than 36 years to complete-> Now, subject is 700,000 artisans. Which should be The army.
E. to complete them took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years-> "them" need singular pronoun as subject is singular.

So, I think C. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 312
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.87
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
solidcolor wrote:

Edit: This topic is found in earlier versions of OG, such as OG 12. Since then, GMAC has altered this question slightly over the years. The version in OG 2018 is HERE

The Question tested both parallelism and pronoun vague:

A. it is wrong, because of vague pronoun (THEM)
B. it is wrong, because of vague pronoun (IT)
c. The right answer "parallel" as below:

the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete

D. Not parallel
E. it is wrong, because of vague pronoun (THEM)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: International Business, Technology
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja / egmat
could please explain the meaning of the sentence?

Sentence Structure
------Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement,
the army of terra-cotta warriors
-----created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife
is more than 2,000 years old and
took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them.

As per my understanding
- Army is more than 2000 years old (making sense)
- Army took 700,000 artesian (or is it ? "700,000 artesian took more than 36 year to complete the army) ------- (z)

although option (D) appears to have punctuation error in case of (z) as two ICs are not connected properly (missing ,), but kind of conveying the correct meaning.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30788 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Green2k1 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja / egmat
could please explain the meaning of the sentence?

Sentence Structure
------Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement,
the army of terra-cotta warriors
-----created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife
is more than 2,000 years old and
took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them.

As per my understanding
- Army is more than 2000 years old (making sense)
- Army took 700,000 artesian (or is it ? "700,000 artesian took more than 36 year to complete the army) ------- (z)

although option (D) appears to have punctuation error in case of (z) as two ICs are not connected properly (missing ,), but kind of conveying the correct meaning.

Hello Green2k1,

Thank you for the PM. :-)

You are confused about the usage "the army... took 7000,000 artisans to complete." This expression is correct. We often say that the project took 10 members to finish. The meaning conveyed here is that it took 10 members to finish the project. More simply, 10 members finished the project. So yes, these are all different expressions to convey the same idea. All these expressions are correct.

Yes, Choice D uses a simple more familiar expression, but it has the blatant structural error. Hence, it is incorrect.

Let me know if you need further clarification on this question. :-)

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
i chose C since it doesn't offer the pronoun isuue of the army completing it others
A has them on it
B has it in it
C feels consice and nice
D subject turns to the artisians rather than the army
E this isn't entirely suitable
hence IMO C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
egmat DmitryFarber

In this sentence, I get that verb is "army" but what I didn't get was why we are using "took"?
As doer of "took" shouldn't be army right? As the army can't complete itself, someone else did. Thus how "took" has "army" as a doer?

If the doer of "took" is not "army" then "took" should be a v-ed modifier.

Please help me understand, what exactly I am missing
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Hi AndrewN,

Could you please help me with a doubt.

In the correct answer choice (C), I found the following structure maddening:
The army took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete.

The meaning comes out strange. Subject "The army" takes the verb "took" here. So, the army took more than 700,000 artisans to complete. Fair enough. But the addition of "more than 36 years" makes it weird. No?

This sounds normal: The project took 10 men to complete. Or, I took more than 3 hours to complete the project.
This doesn't: The project took 10 men more than 3 months to complete.
This should be correct: 10 men took more than 3 months to complete the project.

The construct in (C) as it stands currently looks weird. And (D) looks like a better choice to me, but (D) joins two independent clauses with just a conjunction "and". Also, the object should be placed after "complete" in (D). So, (D) too has issues.

Please, share your thoughts on the matter.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
MissBong wrote:
Hi AndrewN,

The meaning comes out strange. Subject "The army" takes the verb "took" here. So, the army took more than 700,000 artisans to complete. Fair enough. But the addition of "more than 36 years" makes it weird. No?

This sounds normal: The project took 10 men to complete. Or, I took more than 3 hours to complete the project.

The construct in (C) as it stands currently looks weird. And (D) looks like a better choice to me, but (D) joins two independent clauses with just a conjunction "and". Also, the object should be placed after "complete" in (D). So, (D) too has issues.

I think you are getting bogged down in the details, MissBong, by which I mean the numerical information. Would the following look strange to you?

The project took them a long time to complete.

It looks and sounds fine to me, even though I do not advocate relying on your ear for SC. The sentence above is just a generic version of what we see in answer choice (C): subject-verb-object-modifier (for took)-infinitive. Compare:

1) The project took them a long time to complete.

2) The army took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete.

The second sentence adds a few details, but the same basic grammatical information is on display and is just as functional.

Perhaps the answer choice makes more sense now. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
MissBong wrote:
Hi AndrewN,

I think you are getting bogged down in the details, MissBong, by which I mean the numerical information. Would the following look strange to you?

The project took them a long time to complete.

It looks and sounds fine to me, even though I do not advocate relying on your ear for SC. The sentence above is just a generic version of what we see in answer choice (C): subject-verb-object-modifier (for took)-infinitive. Compare:

1) The project took them a long time to complete.

2) The army took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete.

The second sentence adds a few details, but the same basic grammatical information is on display and is just as functional.

Perhaps the answer choice makes more sense now. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew

Thank you AndrewN for your response. Could you share on what grounds did you discount (D) except for the lack of "comma" between the two independent clauses?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
MissBong wrote:
Thank you AndrewN for your response. Could you share on what grounds did you discount (D) except for the lack of "comma" between the two independent clauses?

Hello again, MissBong. I eliminated answer choice (D) because, although it might seem virtually the same as (C), the rearrangement of information fails to deliver on the basic X and Y parallel construct. Consider a barebones version of the latter part of the sentence:

(D) The army is {age} and artisans...

If you want to argue that the clause about artisans is meant to be a separate, independent clause, you would then expect to see another reference to the army, since artisans took {so many} years to complete is not an independent clause. In this sense, the it that we see at the end of (B) is more fitting (although that option messes up in the beginning).

Now, consider the same type of stripped-down sentence to test (C):

(C) The army is {age} and took artisans {so many years} to complete.

The parallel verbs is and took introduce different continuations of the same stem, the army _____, and the clause works either way. When you know how to spot the types of issues that are commonly tested, you can navigate even a long-winded sentence such as this one with confidence. Just stick to the basics.

Show SpoilerMy Timer Result
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 14.49.46.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 14.49.46.png [ 76.29 KiB | Viewed 1206 times ]

Thank you for following up.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts