GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 May 2020, 13:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Sloan MIT School Moderator
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2019, 07:18
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Noburu,

Think of the logic. He's not the one who got completed, he's the Japanese guy who built the warriors. It's the warriors that were completed, and they're plural.

-t

TOM, Could you help me by explaining the question with a logical approach, also, I chose C over B due to redundancy of "it". HOWEVER, I truly believe that it is correctly referring to the collective noun army
Free Admissions and GMAT consulting "GMAT Club special"
No spams No bullshit; Purely FACT BASED SOCIAL SERVICE
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2019, 21:28
Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement, the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them.

Here as I can see GMAT is testing pronoun error.

A. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them

Sub:”the army of terra-cotta warriors” took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them.

Ok But “the army” is singular, How Them will refer to the army ( them use for plural ) so (WRONG)

B. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete it

Again It —> I did not get the logic behind it. Sub is the army and it never refer to the army (WRONG)

C. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete

CORRECT. No issue of pronoun either them or it.

D. 700,000 artisans took more than 36 years to complete

Complete what.meaning is changing

E. to complete them took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years

To complete them? Them is ambiguous to whom its refer. Army ?

the army of terra-cotta warriors to complete them took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years.

Ha ha I don’t know the meaning of this. So WRONG
VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Premium Member CAT Tests
Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2019, 18:13
solidcolor wrote:
Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement, the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them.

I am having a tough time trying to understand the meaning here. the army.......is more than 2000 years old and took 700,00 artisans more than 36 years to complete. But complete what? The army itself?

generis, Sorry for the tag. I waited for a couple of days but got no response from the community. Can you help me with this one?

Why You Don’t Deserve A 700 On Your GMAT

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2020, 21:45
solidcolor wrote:

Edit: This topic is found in earlier versions of OG, such as OG 12. Since then, GMAC has altered this question slightly over the years. The version in OG 2018 is HERE

Can someone please explain the meaning of in his afterlife in the sentence and what it is modifying in the sentence.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2020, 21:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics