GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Sep 2019, 21:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Roberta was born in 1967, and so in 1976 she was nine years old. It is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 4
Roberta was born in 1967, and so in 1976 she was nine years old. It is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Jun 2018, 09:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:53) correct 28% (01:45) wrong based on 114 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Roberta was born in 1967, and so in 1976 she was nine years old. It is clear from this example that the last two digits of a person’s birth year will be the same as the last two digits of the year of that person’s ninth birthday, except that the position of the digits will be reversed.

Which of the following is the best criticism of the assertions made?

A. The generalization is valid only for those birth years that do not end in two zeroes.

B. The example does not exhibit the same principle as is expressed in the generalization based on it.

C. The generalization is valid only for those birth years in which the last digit is one greater than the second-to-last digit.

D. The example cannot be shown to be correct unless the truth of the generalization is already presupposed.

E. The generalization is valid only for those birth years in which the last digit is greater than five.

Originally posted by AgarwalArpit20 on 03 Jun 2018, 07:27.
Last edited by Bunuel on 03 Jun 2018, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
Formatted.
RC Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Roberta was born in 1967, and so in 1976 she was nine years old. It is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 07:55
aanyajain20 wrote:
Roberta was born in 1967, and so in 1976 she was nine years old. It is clear from this
example that the last two digits of a person’s birth year will be the same as the last two digits
of the year of that person’s ninth birthday, except that the position of the digits will be
reversed.
A. The generalization is valid only for those birth years that do not end in two zeroes.
B. The example does not exhibit the same principle as is expressed in the generalization
based on it.
C. The generalization is valid only for those birth years in which the last digit is one greater
than the second-to-last digit.
D. The example cannot be shown to be correct unless the truth of the generalization is already
presupposed.
E. The generalization is valid only for those birth years in which the last digit is greater than
five.

Frankly speaking , I would have loved to have this in the DS Q..... :-(

Option A: Incorrect : This is correct but desnot contain the entire set of invalidity. [e.g., say the birthyear is 1988]

Option B: Incorrect : This is also partially correct. But the true principle is not specifically defined here .

Option C: Correct : Best of all the answers. [Can be tested with different birth years (failure cases): 1921, 1978, 2000 ,1999]

Option D: Incorrect : Again a very generalized statement ... similar issue as in B.

Option E: Incorrect : Similar issue as in A.
V
Roberta was born in 1967, and so in 1976 she was nine years old. It is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 10:27
Roberta was born in 1967, and so in 1976 she was nine years old. It is clear from this example that the last two digits of a person’s birth year will be the same as the last two digits 3 of the year of that person’s ninth birthday, except that the position of the digits will be reversed.

B. The example does not exhibit the same principle as is expressed in the generalization based on it.

C. The generalization is valid only for those birth years in which the last digit is one greater than the second-to-last digit.

D. The example cannot be shown to be correct unless the truth of the generalization is already presupposed.

E. The generalization is valid only for those birth years in which the last digit is greater than five.
G
Re: Roberta was born in 1967, and so in 1976 she was nine years old. It is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 22:48
Wow !! A great combination of Quant and Verbal So solve and evaluate each option. On doing so,

- incorrect. eg. 1993 + 9 = 2002.

B. The example does not exhibit the same principle as is expressed in the generalization based on it. - incorrect.

C. The generalization is valid only for those birth years in which the last digit is one greater than the second-to-last digit. - plug in numbers and you find this to be right. Keep it.

D. The example cannot be shown to be correct unless the truth of the generalization is already presupposed. - incorrect.

E. The generalization is valid only for those birth years in which the last digit is greater than five. eg. 1934 + 9 = 1943. Hence, this option is proved wrong.

Thus, C is the only right choice.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 08:09
Merged topic from earlier post

My CR Guide: Here

My RC Guide: Here

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 11:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Roberta was born in 1967, and so in 1976 she was nine years old. It is   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2019, 11:39

Roberta was born in 1967, and so in 1976 she was nine years old. It is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics