It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 07:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the siz

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2015, 08:02
apolo wrote:
Yes, but contrary to what you say, OG explanation does not say that we have a tense problem in choice D; it says that we do not essentially have a verb for 'evidence'.

We must come to terms with the fact that OG explanations are not "very descriptive" (perhaps by intent).

So, when OG says very is "missing", what it perhaps means is that there is not "proper verb" ("are"); I mean if we "assume" the presence of "have been evidence", then the sentence is anyway incorrect (from a "tense" angle).

So, in the present form of the sentence, there really is "no" verb present. I don't see anything "contrary" in this.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2015, 11:05
VerbalHow wrote:
apolo wrote:
Yes, but contrary to what you say, OG explanation does not say that we have a tense problem in choice D; it says that we do not essentially have a verb for 'evidence'.

We must come to terms with the fact that OG explanations are not "very descriptive" (perhaps by intent).

So, when OG says very is "missing", what it perhaps means is that there is not "proper verb" ("are"); I mean if we "assume" the presence of "have been evidence", then the sentence is anyway incorrect (from a "tense" angle).

So, in the present form of the sentence, there really is "no" verb present. I don't see anything "contrary" in this.

Suppose that instead of 'thus is evidence of the earliest known asteroid impact on Earth', we had 'my toys for several days'.

Do you think that then, choice D would be correct, ignoring the idiom used?

There are two ways to think about this question:
1. Yes. 'Have been' can be the understood verb of the second part: 'and [have been] my toys for several days.'
2. No. 'Have been dated' is the verb of the first part and hence we have: 'and [have been dated] my toys for several days', which does not make sense.

I am wondering which view is correct?!
Intern
Intern
Sentence correction: idiom "dated at" [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2015, 20:13
I'm studying with the 2015 Official Guide and the very last question (#140) of the sentence correction section is this:

Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the size of the 6-mile-wide asteroid that eradicated the dinosaurs has been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus is evidence of the earliest known asteroid impact on Earth.

the correct answer was "have been dated at 3.47 billion years old and thus are."

I've always thought of this phrase to be "dated to be XXX years old." For anyone who's seen similar questions, does GMAT treat "dated at" as the correct idiom at all times?

(There is a similar question that uses the word "estimated," but this one states "estimated to be XYZ years old" to be the correct answer. )
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Sentence correction: idiom "dated at" [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2015, 15:46
daysandhours wrote:
I'm studying with the 2015 Official Guide and the very last question (#140) of the sentence correction section is this:

Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the size of the 6-mile-wide asteroid that eradicated the dinosaurs has been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus is evidence of the earliest known asteroid impact on Earth.

the correct answer was "have been dated at 3.47 billion years old and thus are."

I've always thought of this phrase to be "dated to be XXX years old." For anyone who's seen similar questions, does GMAT treat "dated at" as the correct idiom at all times?

(There is a similar question that uses the word "estimated," but this one states "estimated to be XYZ years old" to be the correct answer. )

Dear daysandhours,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

The idiom "dated at" is 100% correct and favored by the GMAT, whereas "dated to be" is awkward and unidiomatic. I discuss this in this blog:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-prep ... potpourri/

You may find helpful our free GMAT Idiom ebook:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom-ebook/
This information is also available in free Flash Card form:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/flashcards/idioms

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2015, 18:01
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 10:53
Paleontologists believe that fragments of a primate jawbone unearthed in Burma and estimated at 40 to 44 million years old provide evidence of a crucial step along the evolutionary path that led to human beings.
(A) at 40 to 44 million years old provide evidence of
(B) as being 40 to 44 million years old provides evidence of
(C) that it is 40 to 44 million years old provides evidence of what was
(D) to be 40 to 44 million years old provide evidence of
(E) as 40 to 44 million years old provides evidence of what was
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
D

What about this question ?
Director
Director
S
Sentence correction: idiom "dated at" [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 21:04
SLAYGMAT wrote:

Hi! estimated to be and dated at are both separate and correct idioms.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2015, 10:32
SLAYGMAT wrote:

Dear SLAYGMAT,
I'm happy to jump in here. :-) Yes, as EducationAisle, the idioms "dated at" and "estimate X to be" are 100% valid GMAT idioms. These and many more are included in our free GMAT Idiom Flashcards.
https://gmat.magoosh.com/flashcards/idioms
Enjoy!
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the siz [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2016, 00:46
ANSWER IS E

EXPLANATION :-
1) dated at is the correct idiom

2) the subject of the sentence is "rock samples" therefore SV agreement dictates that we use "Have". "Has" is incorrect

only E uses both "dated at" and "have"

souvik101990 wrote:

(A) has been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus is
(B) has been dated at 3.47 billion years old and thus
(C) have been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus are
(D) have been dated as being 3.47 billion years old and thus
(E) have been dated at 3.47 billion years old and thus are

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

D
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the siz [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 12:33
souvik101990 wrote:

rock samples......., have. correct match of SV.
dated at - correct idiom
have been dated ...and thus are... parallel

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Director
Director
G
Premium Member CAT Tests
Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the siz [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 02:21

Rock samples is the plural subject and thus needs a plural verb (have).
Choices A and B out.

Dated at is the correct idiom. Choice C and D out.

E is the answer. Clear winner.

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member
Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the siz [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 23:02
Hi Experts,

Could you please provide your comments for option C and option E.

Dated to be vs Dated at

Thanks
Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 23:40
PathFinder007, this difference seems to have been discussed a good deal in the thread. Do you have a specific question about it?

The short answer is that "dated to be" doesn't work. We estimate/believe/prove something "to be" a certain age, but that doesn't work with "date." You could say "I estimate that this rock is 3 billion years old." You couldn't say "I date that this rock is 3 billion years old." It just isn't the same kind of verb. Similarly, you can say "I estimate it to be 3 billion years old" and not "I date it to be 3 billion years old."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 03:55

Clause 1: Rock samples (Subject which is plural)...................has been dated and is (verbs which are singular.....ERROR)
Clause 2: 'that' (subject and refers to asteroid)......................eradicated (verb)

Correct answer is E.
Rock samples have been dated and are

The correct idiom is "dated at".

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Senior SC Moderator
D
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 01:01
TomB wrote:

First Glance

The underline starts with the verb has; other answers start with have, so look for subject-verb issues.

Issues

(1) Subject-Verb; has; is

In the original sentence, the subject is the plural rock samples and the verb is the singular has been dated. Mismatch!

A plural subject needs a plural verb; eliminate answers (A) & (B), which both use the singular has. It turns out that the sentence also contains a second verb that goes with the same plural subject: is. Only answer (A) contains this error. The remaining answer use either the plural are or eliminate the verb entirely. (Remember that split for later.)

(2) Idiom: dated to be; dated as being

If you know the correct idiom, you might spot the error in the original sentence. If you don't, a vertical scan reveals that the answers offer three different options: dated to be, dated at, or dated as being.

The correct idiom for estimating the age of something is dated at a certain age. Eliminate answers (A), (C), and (D).

(3) Structure

Tackle the are versus nothing split mentioned in the subject-verb discussion above. (Remember that you already eliminated answer (A) for using is.)

(B), (D): Rock samples have been dated and thus evidence
(C), (E): Rock samples have been dated and thus are evidence

The and creates a parallel construction. Answers (B) and (D) are missing the needed verb are and are therefore sentence fragments; eliminate them

The Correct Answer

Correct answer (E) changes both verbs to the plural form to match the plural subject rock samples. Further, this choice uses the correct idiom, dated at a certain age.
Attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 54.2 KiB | Viewed 542 times ]

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 29.06 KiB | Viewed 550 times ]

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Senior SC Moderator
D
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 04:25
souvik101990 wrote:
Before moving to OE
What is the correct idiom for:
estimated to be Vs estimated at?

Do refer the excerpt from Manhattan Sentence Correction Sixth Edition.
Attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 175.42 KiB | Viewed 539 times ]

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 19.67 KiB | Viewed 552 times ]

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 04:51
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 13:03
TomB wrote:

A "Dated to be" is an incorrect idiom.
B The phrase after "thus" is a fragment.
C "Dated to be" is an incorrect idiom.
D "Dated as being" is an incorrect idiom.
E Correct.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 460 Q30 V23

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 15:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I solved this question correctly but I have one question.
In parallelism, Don't the entities have to have similar verb tense?
For example in the correct choice,
(have been & .. is...) > present perfect & Simple present
Is there any rules that states that they both have to have the same tense? I studied it but can't be sure.

please advise

thanks
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 21:18
Harshani wrote:
In parallelism, Don't the entities have to have similar verb tense?

Hi Harshani, indeed this is often a source of confusion.

Tenses and voice (active / passive voice) are not a part of parallelism. So, the various parallel entities of a sentence can have different tense/voice.

Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana has a handy small note on how tenses and voice are not part of parallelism. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Parallelism - Tenses.pdf [10.21 KiB]
Downloaded 37 times

To download please login or register as a user

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the siz   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2017, 21:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 64 posts ] 

Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the siz

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap