Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The "no" above was in reference to exactly that. I don't think we'll see "estimated at" in a correct answer. However, English is tricky--it depends on the intended meaning. We certainly can't say "estimated at X years old." The idiom is "estimated to be." But what about something else? I could imagine a sentence that said "The damage was estimated at $45 million dollars." This makes more sense than "to be," since a rock sample can BE millions of years old, but damages can't BE millions of dollars. Rather, millions of dollars in damages occurred.

Having said all that, I don't have an official SC question to validate that usage for the GMAT. If anyone can find a correct official answer with ANY use of "estimated at," I'd be interested to see it.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
angsha wrote:
Halley's comet is a potato-shaped lump (A) about ten miles long (B) with a mass (C) estimated at 10 billion tons,(D) most of which is water ice.(E)No error.

The answer to this question is E.It means that 'estimated at' properly used.I have read almost all posts but am still not convinced with the nuance of usage of these two idioms(Estimated at and Estimated to be). :(

This is interesting. I am reasonably sure that estimated to be is actually better.

An official sentence:

Paleontologists believe that fragments of a primate jawbone unearthed in Burma and estimated to be 40 to 44 million years old provide evidence of a crucial step along the evolutionary path that led to human beings.
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kaomanfen
Yes, evidence is always singular/uncountable. That doesn't mean that a noun that serves as evidence must also be singular. In E, we're saying that the samples (plural) are evidence (singular). Together, the set of samples serve as evidence. By contrast, in the example you provided, evidence is the actual subject, so we must use a singular noun.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT Date: 06-24-2013
Send PM
Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the size of the 6-mile-wide asteroid that eradicated the dinosaurs has been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus is evidence of the earliest known asteroid impact on Earth.

The modifier in bold red it modifying - remains of asteroid or asteroid. Also is this modified "adjective phase". If so should it have a comma before it or not?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 675 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Could you please provide your comments for option C and option E.

Dated to be vs Dated at

Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20709 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Before moving to OE
What is the correct idiom for:
estimated to be Vs estimated at?

Do refer the excerpt from Manhattan Sentence Correction Sixth Edition.
Attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 175.42 KiB | Viewed 45045 times ]

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 19.67 KiB | Viewed 45020 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 460 Q30 V23
GMAT 2: 500 Q39 V20
Send PM
I solved this question correctly but I have one question.
In parallelism, Don't the entities have to have similar verb tense?
For example in the correct choice,
(have been & .. is...) > present perfect & Simple present
Is there any rules that states that they both have to have the same tense? I studied it but can't be sure.

please advise

thanks
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Harshani wrote:
In parallelism, Don't the entities have to have similar verb tense?

Hi Harshani, indeed this is often a source of confusion.

Tenses and voice (active / passive voice) are not a part of parallelism. So, the various parallel entities of a sentence can have different tense/voice.

Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana has a handy small note on how tenses and voice are not part of parallelism. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Parallelism - Tenses.pdf [10.21 KiB]
Downloaded 311 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
Hi GMATNinjaTwo, aragonn, sudarshan22, GMATNinja, hazelnut, Vyshak, generis, daagh,

I am still not clear is "dated to be" is correct in option C or not as few experts states "dated at" is correct and few states "dated to be" is also correct.

Could you please clear my confusion.
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gmatprep550 "Dated to be" is not correct. I think people were pointing out that we say "estimated to be" and "dated at." I don't see any support for "dated to be," and I'm quite confident that this would not fly on the GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
Gmatprep550 "Dated to be" is not correct. I think people were pointing out that we say "estimated to be" and "dated at." I don't see any support for "dated to be," and I'm quite confident that this would not fly on the GMAT.

Thanks DmitryFarber for clarification I might have misread that part, Just wanted to confirm one more thing is usage of "estimated at" is correct in the GMAT?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [0]
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Mission2012 wrote:
Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the size of the 6-mile-wide asteroid that eradicated the dinosaurs has been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus is evidence of the earliest known asteroid impact on Earth.

The modifier in bold red it modifying - remains of asteroid or asteroid. Also is this modified "adjective phase". If so should it have a comma before it or not?

Hi, :)

Note that the highlighted portion doesn’t entirely consist of a single modifier.

I suggest you analyze the sentence structure to understand the role played by each element.

Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the size of the 6-mile-wide asteroid
      o that eradicated the dinosaurs
    has been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and
    thus is evidence of the earliest known asteroid impact on Earth.

The highlighted modifier presents a comparison with another “asteroid”.

So it would be logical to presume that the entire modifier is modifying “asteroid”, not “remains”.

Since this modifier is used to modify a noun, we can call it a “Noun Modifier”.

Observe that the modifier is in the non-underlined portion of the official sentence and so it should be correct as such.

Of course, enclosing it in a comma pair won’t make it incorrect. However, it would be unnecessary.

Hope this helps! :)

Regards,
Krishna

Need your help, i was reading your pdf regarding "that" usage and this question appeared in that PDF ,and in that PDF you said rock samples is the subject because "taken from" can't be verb as it is modifier because it doesn't have is/was/has/had in front of that, but after "that" which represent asteroid eradicated is verb even though it doesn't have was/is/has/had preceding that please explain?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
rishabhmishra wrote:
after "that" which represent asteroid eradicated is verb even though it doesn't have was/is/has/had preceding that please explain?

Hi Rishabh, it's the other way round. If was/is/has precedes a verb form, then it's a participle (modifier).

In this case, since eradicated is not preceded by was/is/has, eradicated is a verb.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses difference between Verb and Participle, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
rishabhmishra wrote:
after "that" which represent asteroid eradicated is verb even though it doesn't have was/is/has/had preceding that please explain?

Hi Rishabh, it's the other way round. If was/is/has precedes a verb form, then it's a participle (modifier).

In this case, since eradicated is not preceded by was/is/has, eradicated is a verb.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses difference between Verb and Participle, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

thank you for quick reply, but i took egamt course and i found that verb ed if preceded by is/was/had then we can call it as verb but if it doesn't have these is/was/had before ed verb then it is modifier. So i found this question and i asked egmat people this question
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
rishabhmishra wrote:
thank you for quick reply, but i took egamt course and i found that verb ed if preceded by is/was/had then we can call it as verb but if it doesn't have these is/was/had before ed verb then it is modifier. So i found this question and i asked egmat people this question

There seems to be an interpretation issue Rishabh. Let's take this example:

Peter is done with his job.

done is clearly a past participle (and not a verb); did is the simple past tense verb of the verb do.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
rishabhmishra wrote:

There seems to be an interpretation issue Rishabh. Let's take this example:

Peter is done with his job.

done is clearly a past participle (and not a verb); did is the simple past tense verb of the verb do.

sir lets talk about the question as an example if rock samples were taken/ have taken/ had taken then it will work as verb isn't it this is given by egamt and i agree but because there is no were/have/had they told me its a modifier? If possible i will attach a screenshot of that
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rishabh, taken is a past participle (took is the simple past tense verb of the verb take).

Thanks for the screenshot. It's best if you directly get in touch with them for clarity on this point.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts