It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 10:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Roland: The alarming fact is that 90 percent of the-OG10#139

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

15 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 267 [15], given: 0

Roland: The alarming fact is that 90 percent of the-OG10#139 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2004, 14:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Roland: The alarming fact is that 90 percent of the people in this country now report that they know someone who is unemployed.

Sharon: But a normal, moderate level of unemployment is 5 percent, with 1 out of 20 workers unemployed. So at any given time if a person knows approximately 50 workers, 1 or more will very likely be unemployed.

Sharon's argument relies on the assumption that

(A) normal levels of unemployment are rarely exceeded
(B) unemployment is not normally concentrated in geographically isolated segments of the population
(C) the number of people who each know someone who is unemployed is always higher than 90% of the population
(D) Roland is not consciously distorting the statistics he presents
(E) knowledge that a personal acquaintance is unemployed generates more fear of losing one's job than does knowledge of unemployment statistics

Note: There is another question (conclusion question) which is based upon the same argument. For reading and further discussion on that question, please use the following link:
roland-the-alarming-fact-is-that-90-percent-of-the-og10-8416.html

Kudos [?]: 267 [15], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Roland: The alarming fact is that 90 percent of the people [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2012, 10:06
Hi All,

Please help answer below

1. Could you tell me how the negation test works here.

Please let me know I am confused.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 70

Re: Roland: The alarming fact is that 90 percent of the-OG10#139 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2013, 01:46
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 70

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur

Kudos [?]: 668 [0], given: 80

GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2013, 23:08
B is fair enough but what is exactly wrong with D? Could someone please explain

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

GPA: 3.5
WE: Brand Management (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2014, 02:38
Geographical concenteration is not indicated in argument,doesn't it make out of scope,and secondly by negating how the argument gets harmed.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 70

Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2014, 06:19
" B " WILL BE THE CORRECT ANSWER.......
THE MATHEMATICAL INDUCTION WILL ONLY WORK IF THE SAMPLE IS MIX AND RANDOM SAMPLES ARE CHOSEN.....IF THOSE UNEMPLOYED ARE SEGREGATED SECTION, THE SAMPLES CANT BE RANDOM AND IF WE CHOOSE SAMPLES FROM THE "EMPLOYED" SECTION , THE ARGUMENT WILL NOT HOLD TRUE.... HENCE "B"....

(B) unemployment is not normally concentrated in geographically isolated segments of the population... CORRECT

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 70

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 66

Schools: IIMA
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2014, 01:22
B for sure; as you reverse the argument present in b, it will reverse the conclusion :)

I found it is good was for assumption type of question to mark conclusion first and then check with option ; fo assumtion you reverse the argument it will reverse conclusion too.

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 66

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 13:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur

GPA: 3.32

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 03:02
The quesstion is fairly simple if you understand what it treis to test:

Sharon says a fact and she assumes that the fact can be generaaly applied to the entire population.
So if Roland's facts are outliers or falls outside the subset of sharon's generalization then Sharon's argument will fall.
Option B says that

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 19:39
I chose A. I can see the argument for B, but I think it's a poorly designed answer.

A - this is an assumption. She is assuming that a "normal, moderate" level of unemployment has not been exceeded.

B - this is a silly answer, though I commend people for seeing it as the best choice! Geography is not the key driver of social connections. Whether you know someone who is unemployed or not is driven far more by your socio-economic status than geography.

Sometimes I really feel like GMAC is quite out of touch. Rant over, thank you.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 22

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 7

Roland: The alarming fact is that 90 percent of the people in this cou [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 18:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello,

Can someone please help understand the answer to this question?! I dont get it. OG 12 problem 71

Roland: The alarming fact is that 90 percent of the people in this country now report that they know someone who is unemployed.

Sharon: But a normal, moderate level of unemployment is 5 percent, with one out of 20 workers unemployed. So at any given time if a person knows approximately 50 workers, one or more will very likely be unemployed.

Sharon’s argument relies on the assumption that

(B) unemployment is not normally concentrated in geographically isolated segments of the population
(C) the number of people who each know someone who is unemployed is always higher than 90 percent of the population
(E) knowledge that a personal acquaintance is unemployed generates more fear of losing one’s job than does knowledge of unemployment statistics

I dont get how B can be correct? There in no mention of geographically isolated populations?!? I know we have to assume something that is attached to the argument, but this makes no sense to me. Why not A or C? :`(

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 7

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 3

Re: Roland: The alarming fact is that 90 percent of the people in this cou [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2015, 04:53
This post received
KUDOS
Here as per Sharon's argument.

She says that since the country's unemployment rate is at 5 percent, any person in the country who knows at least 50 other people. will know at least some unemployed person - Meaning that there is no way that all these 50 people are employed. And it assumes that this rule applies equally for the whole country.

But maybe one part of the country has a very high unemployment rate and the other part doesn't have any unemployment at all. If all the people a person knows are from the region that is doing well then there is a possibility that all the 50 are employed.

Option B says this. The argument assumes that the unemployement rate is equal for everyone and it is not concentrated in certain regions and not in others.

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2015, 19:59
haas_mba07 wrote:
Confused?? Can someone explain in a little more detail?

Here it is.
R : 90% people know some unemployed person. (and I thought, what if there are only few U/E people, say 100, but 90% of the people somehow know those 100.)
S: U/E = 5% only.

So, B says, U/E people are not in isolated region, means they are distributed over the area (among the 90% people), so that is how "90% of the people somehow know those 100."

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 48

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 211

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 09:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
GMAT is about pattern recognition.
The argument relies on statistics presented by two opponents.
Roland said something is Alarming.
Sharon's argument is: Hei Roland that's not really alarming.
Both guys based their opinions on statistical facts.

Whenever you see arguments based on statistics facts, as u already know, the validity of the conclusion is weakened if it is shown that the statistics is spurious or dubious.
Lack of Structural Stability of data or statistics makes a statistical result unreliable. I.e if the average doesn't closely show what's happening in MOST data points, the result is unreliable. In another language, a data that skews badly off its mean will make the mean result unreliable. e.g if the average of a set of numbers is 5, that average will be more reliable if the numbers are (3, 4, 5, 6, 7) or (4,4,5,6,6) than if the numbers are (0, 0, 0, 12, 13) or (1, 1, 2, 10, 11).
each has average of 5.

Assume the numbers above represent unemployment rates in 5 cities)
In the two later sets the high or alarming numbers are concentrated at some cities.
Even though all sets show that the national unemployment rate is 5 which is Normal, It is alarming in some places.

Some macroeconomic indicators rely on arthmetic average.
But the trouble with arithmetic averages is already known.
It doesn't show you what's happening in the whole country.

Option B therefore defends Sharon's point from a most potent weakener: unreliable statistics, Abnormally distributed data. etc

Always bear in mind that CR questions involving data or statistics will test simple knowledge of validity of statistics anytime.

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 211

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
Re: Roland: The alarming fact is that 90 percent of the people in this cou [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 01:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 58

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q32 V48
GRE 1: 311 Q160 V151
WE: Design (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 07:28
Why isn't option A right. Isn't Sharon assuming that Option A (normal levels of unemployment are rarely raised).

Also, I didn't get the relation between one in 20 and one in 50 people. How are these two related? Though It is slightly clearer on how Sharon assuming option B to make that statement, Option A could also be true.

please explain

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 58

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 08:46
balaji4799 wrote:
Why isn't option A right. Isn't Sharon assuming that Option A (normal levels of unemployment are rarely raised).

Also, I didn't get the relation between one in 20 and one in 50 people. How are these two related? Though It is slightly clearer on how Sharon assuming option B to make that statement, Option A could also be true.

please explain

Sharon said that the normal unemployment rate is 5%, which means 1 out 20 or 2.5 out of 50 people (or "one or more" in Sharon's words) can be unemployed. For why A is not correct, I think Sharon only deducted some facts from the normal unemployment rate and the assumptions for her deductions have nothing to do with whether that normal rate changes or not.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3096 [4], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 12:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
balaji4799 wrote:

please explain

I found the following excerpt while going through my preparation notes:

correct B: negate this one and you get:
unemployment is normally concentrated in geographically isolated segments of the population
What is the implication of the above? If unemployment is concentrated in certain areas, how can we say that if someone who knows 50 persons will very likely know more than 1 person who is unemployed?
Let's take a simple number example. Country A has two cities: X and Y
City X: population = 100 --> 10 are unemployed
City Y: population = 100 --> 0 are unemployed
Total unemployment rate for country A: 10/200 = 5% --> as claimed by Sharon
As you can see in my example, unemployment is concentrated in a geographical location: city X
Hence, if that someone who Sharon is talking about lives in city Y, is it right to say that that person is likely to know more than one person who is unemployed? No, because that person lives in a city where there is no unemployment whatsoever.
Conclusion: We need to assume that unemployment is not isolated in geographically isolated segments of the population. If not, the argument falls apart.

As for A: Sharon just states the normal level of unemployment. There is nothing in her statement that indicates that she assumes that the normal levels are exceeded (or they don't).

Kudos [?]: 3096 [4], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 116

Akhilesh: Das
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V24
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 10:05
sayantanc2k thanks for the explanation. :-D
It really helped to understand why option B is correct. I chose choice A as I did not analyze choice B to this level.

Thanks & Regards,
Akhilesh

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 116

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 91

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 06:42
The question deals with the concept of samples. i.e, sharon assumes that the sample space taken into consideration is homogeneous. No other option comes as close as C

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 91

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 72 [1], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 14:14
This post received
KUDOS

Sharon: But a normal, moderate level of unemployment is 5 percent, with one out of 20 workers unemployed. So at any given time if a person knows approximately 50 workers, one or more will very likely be unemployed.

Sharon’s argument relies on the assumption that

THis answer choice strengthens the claim by sharon,but the claim is not based on this fact.Also even if the unemployment level are not exceeded then the claim will still be valid.
This is the correct answer choice since if the unemployment population was concentrated in one region then the correct slection of the sample space of the sample data will never be accurate.The correctness of the claim can only be measured if the unemplyed people are equally distributed.
(C) the number of people who each know someone who is unemployed is always higher than 90 percent of the population
The choice is incorrect first because it uses a very stong work 'always' which can be avoided in such questions and second even if the 90 is not exceeded the calim will still be valid at 90%.
no such indication ,also the data given by roland is appropriate
(E) knowledge that a personal acquaintance is unemployed generates more fear of losing one’s job than does knowledge of unemployment statistics
out of scope.

Kudos [?]: 72 [1], given: 18

Re: Roland: The alarming fact is that 90 percent of the people in this cou   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2017, 14:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 84 posts ]