Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Assumptionx   Numbers & Percentx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 269
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.59
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [0]

Send PM
Re: Roland: The alarming fact is that 90 percent of the people in this cou [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Mehemmed wrote:
Dear GMATNinja,

Initially, I selected C as the answer. After reading your explanation above I understood that there can be periods where unemployment rate is more or less than 5%. Also, the word "always" should have grabbed my attention.
However, I still don't understand B. How can we infer that Sharon assumed geographical distributions of workers, and Roland says The alarming fact is that 90 percent of the people in this country now report that they know someone who is unemployed. Doesn't he assume the whole country in his argument?

Yes, Roland is referring to the entire country (90 percent of the people in this country now report that they know someone who is unemployed).

Forget about Roland for a second and think about normal unemployment (5%--i.e. 1 in 20 workers are unemployed). Now let's imagine that unemployment is spread evenly across the country. In that case, if you know 20 workers, there's a good chance that you know an unemployed person (since, on average, 1 in 20 are unemployed). And if you know 50 workers, 1 or more will very likely be unemployed. This is Sharon's argument.

But that argument ONLY works if we assume that unemployment is spread evenly across the country... why? Consider a country with 1 million workers and normal unemployment (so 50,000 unemployed workers). What if ALL 50,000 of those unemployed workers live in the same city? In that case, everyone who lives in that city will likely know someone who is unemployed, but everyone else in the country will NOT know someone who is unemployed.

That is obviously an extreme example. The point is that if unemployment is concentrated in a few isolated areas, then people OUTSIDE of those areas will be less likely to know someone who is unemployed. If unemployment is at 5% and distributed evenly, then anyone who knows 50 workers will likely know an unemployed worker (Sharon's argument). If unemployment is at 5% and NOT distributed evenly, then only the people in the high-concentrations areas will likely know someone who is unemployed. Outside of those areas, people who know 50 workers are MUCH LESS likely to know an unemployed person.

So if unemployment is evenly spread and 90% of people in the country know someone who is unemployed, then the data can be explained by normal unemployment figures. However, if unemployment is concentrated and, still, 90% know someone who is unemployed, then unemployment is likely higher than normal.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: Roland: The alarming fact is that 90 percent of the people in this cou [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
The heart of Sharon's argument is pretty straightforward: she thinks that what Roland sees is somewhat "normal", and not "alarming".

Let’s break down the reasoning behind her argument:

1. A "normal" unemployment rate is 1/20.
    2. So if you know 20 typical workers, odds are good that one will be unemployed.
    3. And then if you know 50 workers, at least 1 of them will probably be unemployed.
    4. Therefore, it’s likely at any given time that 90% of people in the country know at least 1 unemployed person.

In her reasoning, Sharon refers to nationwide levels of unemployment. When she jumps to step 4 of her argument, she assumes that the employment patterns of the 50 workers each of us knows personally will resemble the nationwide employment patterns. In order to accept this assumption, we need evidence that the normal unemployment rate in any given area will roughly match the normal rate of unemployment for the entire country. Otherwise, it could be the case that the unemployed workers are overwhelmingly concentrated in a few parts of the country, and most people elsewhere might NOT know any unemployed workers.

So Sharon's argument relies on which of these assumptions?

Quote:
(A) normal levels of unemployment are rarely exceeded

It makes no difference whether normal levels of unemployment are exceeded rarely or frequently. As long as the current level of unemployment is normal, then Sharon’s argument is valid.

In other words, normal levels of unemployment could be exceeded frequently. But according to Sharon, the data cited by Roland is evidence that unemployment levels are normal right now. Sharon’s argument does not rely on choice (A), so eliminate this one.

Quote:
(B) unemployment is not normally concentrated in geographically isolated segments of the population

Choice (B) gets to the heart of Sharon’s assumption. If unemployment is evenly distributed across the population as opposed to being concentrated in certain states, cities and industries, then we’ll have an easier time agreeing with Sharon. If (B) is true, then any person who knows approximately 50 workers -- anywhere in the country -- is likely to know at least one unemployed worker, even if unemployment levels are moderate.

If (B) were NOT true and unemployment levels were moderate, then we would expect people in the geographically isolated segments to know several unemployed workers. In that case, most people in other parts of the country would NOT likely know at least one unemployed worker. If (B) were not true, then Roland’s evidence would be "alarming", and Sharon’s argument would fall apart.

Let’s keep choice (B) for now and try to eliminate the rest.

.... (B) is our answer.

Hi GMATNinja ,

Thanks for this detailed explanation.

I have a general and a specific doubt related to this question.

Specific Doubt -
As per me , Sharon is making 2 assumptions at two different stages of her reply.
1 - She assumes that what ever she is going to reply will contradict/explain what Roland has said, i.e. 90% people of the country know someone unemployed
2 - In her reply itself, she assumes that , as lucidly explained by you, the unemployment is not geographically concentrated.

My problem was that I concentrated on the 1st assumption(if it can qualify as an assumption of Sharon) that 90% can be explained by the 1/20 logic . And if an answer choice says that , well, not every time it is 1/20 then it simply damages that assumption.

General Doubt -
In cases like the current question. Where there Is 1st person and the 2nd person replies to the 1st by giving a statement which -
a) Is making an assumption that the reply as a whole addresses the problem.
AND
b) The reply content itself is assuming something.

Then in such a case which assumption to target. first one or the second one?

I hope I am able to express my line of thought.

Thanks
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
testprep11 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
The heart of Sharon's argument is pretty straightforward: she thinks that what Roland sees is somewhat "normal", and not "alarming".

Let’s break down the reasoning behind her argument:

1. A "normal" unemployment rate is 1/20.
    2. So if you know 20 typical workers, odds are good that one will be unemployed.
    3. And then if you know 50 workers, at least 1 of them will probably be unemployed.
    4. Therefore, it’s likely at any given time that 90% of people in the country know at least 1 unemployed person.

In her reasoning, Sharon refers to nationwide levels of unemployment. When she jumps to step 4 of her argument, she assumes that the employment patterns of the 50 workers each of us knows personally will resemble the nationwide employment patterns. In order to accept this assumption, we need evidence that the normal unemployment rate in any given area will roughly match the normal rate of unemployment for the entire country. Otherwise, it could be the case that the unemployed workers are overwhelmingly concentrated in a few parts of the country, and most people elsewhere might NOT know any unemployed workers.

So Sharon's argument relies on which of these assumptions?

Quote:

It makes no difference whether normal levels of unemployment are exceeded rarely or frequently. As long as the current level of unemployment is normal, then Sharon’s argument is valid.

In other words, normal levels of unemployment could be exceeded frequently. But according to Sharon, the data cited by Roland is evidence that unemployment levels are normal right now. Sharon’s argument does not rely on choice (A), so eliminate this one.

Quote:
(B) unemployment is not normally concentrated in geographically isolated segments of the population

Choice (B) gets to the heart of Sharon’s assumption. If unemployment is evenly distributed across the population as opposed to being concentrated in certain states, cities and industries, then we’ll have an easier time agreeing with Sharon. If (B) is true, then any person who knows approximately 50 workers -- anywhere in the country -- is likely to know at least one unemployed worker, even if unemployment levels are moderate.

If (B) were NOT true and unemployment levels were moderate, then we would expect people in the geographically isolated segments to know several unemployed workers. In that case, most people in other parts of the country would NOT likely know at least one unemployed worker. If (B) were not true, then Roland’s evidence would be "alarming", and Sharon’s argument would fall apart.

Let’s keep choice (B) for now and try to eliminate the rest.

.... (B) is our answer.

Hi GMATNinja ,

Thanks for this detailed explanation.

I have a general and a specific doubt related to this question.

Specific Doubt -
As per me , Sharon is making 2 assumptions at two different stages of her reply.
1 - She assumes that what ever she is going to reply will contradict/explain what Roland has said, i.e. 90% people of the country know someone unemployed
2 - In her reply itself, she assumes that , as lucidly explained by you, the unemployment is not geographically concentrated.

My problem was that I concentrated on the 1st assumption(if it can qualify as an assumption of Sharon) that 90% can be explained by the 1/20 logic . And if an answer choice says that , well, not every time it is 1/20 then it simply damages that assumption.

General Doubt -
In cases like the current question. Where there Is 1st person and the 2nd person replies to the 1st by giving a statement which -
a) Is making an assumption that the reply as a whole addresses the problem.
AND
b) The reply content itself is assuming something.

Then in such a case which assumption to target. first one or the second one?

I hope I am able to express my line of thought.

Thanks

testprep11, I wouldn't say that Sharon's reply depends on an assumption "that 90% can be explained by the 1/20 logic." Sharon is simply saying that with normal, moderate levels of employment, 1 in every 20 workers is unemployed. Given only that information, on average, anyone who knows 20 workers, probably knows 1 unemployed worker. Anyone who knows 40 workers probably knows about 2 unemployed workers, on average. So anyone who knows 50 workers is LIKELY to know at least 1 unemployed worker.

This could explain why "90 percent of the people in this country now report that they know someone who is unemployed." But Sharon's logic is independent of the statement by Roland. The point is that, given the information provided by Sharon, the 90% is not necessarily alarming.

But without the assumption in choice (B), Sharon's argument would not make us doubt whether the 90% figure is indeed alarming.

As for your general doubt, let us know if you have any other relevant examples. In general, I wouldn't try to rely on memorizing approaches to various questions that you've seen. In this case, Roland cites a statistic and says that it is alarming. According to Sharon, we can't simply conclude that this statistic is alarming. I don't quite think that Sharon is "making an assumption that the reply as a whole addresses the problem."

I hope that helps!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
Premise:
1. unemployment is 5%. means 1 out of 20 would be unemployed.
2. so if a person know 50 people then chances are that he know atleast 1 to 2.5(avg) unemployed people.
3. How Roland's statement fit into sharon's - Many people are talking/know same unemployed person.

Pre-thinking:
For this all to be hold true many assumptions are needed. such as
1- What if many group of people that do not know each other.Suppose group of 20 people isolated with each other and every group has 1 unemployed. Can Roland statement still holds true. So we have to say that we must not have this kind of isolated groups.
2. Which bring us to ultimate assumption - Many group of people know same person as unemployed.

Sharon's argument relies on the assumption that

(A) normal levels of unemployment are rarely exceeded --- it makes no affect on conclusion or either of the statements.

(B) unemployment is not normally concentrated in geographically isolated segments of the population --- This one is more on the lines we have thought about. Concern is that if it does the grouping will be more on isolated people and 90% statics will not be successful completely. Though it is talking about a very edge of the situation and not exactly.

(C) the number of people who each know someone who is unemployed is always higher than 90% of the population --- This will make whole thing go imbalance.

(D) Roland is not consciously distorting the statistics he presents ---- well this could be an assumption for roland. but sheron's argument does not depend on it.

(E) knowledge that a personal acquaintance is unemployed generates more fear of losing one's job than does knowledge of unemployment statistics --- irrelevant
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
GMATNinja, gmat1393, GMATNinjaTwo, nightblade354, iamsiddharthkapoor

Hello experts - Could you let me know if my logic for eliminating A is accurate

Argument from Sharon -- Not a big deal ...Unemployment is normally at 5 % so if someone knows 20 people -- they will at-least know someone who is unemployed. No big surprise !

Negated A :

-- Normal levels of unemployment are frequently exceeded

Implication :

-- If unemployment levels are normally high : this actually supports Sharon argument even more ..i.e. people will always know someone who is unemployed

The negated A -- rather than breaking the argument is actually strengthening the argument

Is my negation thought process accurate for A specifically ?
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5739 [2]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta@umail.iu.edu wrote:
GMATNinja, gmat1393, GMATNinjaTwo, nightblade354, iamsiddharthkapoor

Hello experts - Could you let me know if my logic for eliminating A is accurate

Argument from Sharon -- Not a big deal ...Unemployment is normally at 5 % so if someone knows 20 people -- they will at-least know someone who is unemployed. No big surprise !

Negated A :

-- Normal levels of unemployment are frequently exceeded

Implication :

-- If unemployment levels are normally high : this actually supports Sharon argument even more ..i.e. people will always know someone who is unemployed

The negated A -- rather than breaking the argument is actually strengthening the argument

Is my negation thought process accurate for A specifically ?

Frequently is not the negation of rarely. These are words that are just meant to throw you off. Rare = some. The negation of some = none. This should help clear things up.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 590 Q47 V26
Send PM
Roland: The alarming fact is that 90 percent of the people in this country now report that they know someone who is unemployed.

Sharon: But a normal, moderate level of unemployment is 5 percent, with 1 out of 20 workers unemployed. So at any given time if a person knows approximately 50 workers, 1 or more will very likely be unemployed.

Sharon's argument relies on the assumption that

(C) the number of people who each know someone who is unemployed is always higher than 90% of the population

(D) Roland is not consciously distorting the statistics he presents

(E) knowledge that a personal acquaintance is unemployed generates more fear of losing one's job than does knowledge of unemployment statistics

Given:
R-90% PPL Now rpt that they know someone unemployed--Alarming fact according to him
S-Normal level of unemployment is 5%. If a person know 50 PPL then amongst these ppl atleast 1 person will likely to be Unemployed

Prethinking:

=> S 's argument started with 'But' it means she is trying to say that she do not agree with R. Or by providing some facts she is trying to say that the fact that R has presented may not be 'Alarming'.
=> If Sample is 100 , 5 PPL are unemployed => A person can know 50 ppl from 95 employed PPL, or from a combination of employed and unemployed ppl. Clearly S is assuming that the sample of 50 PPL is comprising of both employed and unemployed ppl and they are distributed evenly in the country.

A) Incorrect- Negation: Normal Level of unemployment never exceeded.
Rarely= Sometimes==> Negation: Never (Some->None)
If normal level is not exceeding then this fact is irrelavent and more or less strengthening the Sharon's argument.

B) Correct: Matches with the prethinking.

Negation: Unemployment is normally concentrated in geographically isolated segments of the population.
If unemployment is concentrated in geographically isolated segments of the population then the fact that sharon has presented is doubtful.
If the sample that sharon has selected is from geographically isolated area then a person may know many people who are unemployed. Similarly if the sample is from the other section of the population then it's possible that a person knows no one who is unemployed.Therefore, negation of the statement is breaking down the sharon's argument.

c) Incorrect- Negation: The number of people who each know someone who is unemployed is not always higher than 90% of the population.
=> Atleast sometime it's not higher than 90%.
Sharon's argument is not about 90% of the population, it was roland who cited this fact. Sharon is simply providing facts stating that the unemployment rate is normal.Hence irrelevant.

d) Incorrect-
Negation: If Roland is consciously distorting the statistics that he presents then the fact that he has cited about the 'alarming level of unemployment' may not be true. Which is what Sharon is trying to say. So negation statement is supporting Sharon's argument and not undermining it. Moreover Sharon's argument is independent of Roland's argument. Hence incorrect.

e) Incorrect- Sharon's argument is not about fear of losing job. so out of context.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
can any of the experts explain option c in detail ?

GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo nightblade354

even though Mr gmatninja has explained the question really well and a lot of good explanations about why B is correct are here in this discussion, I can't seem to wrap my head around option C. I know that it is not the correct option, but i am not able to articulate the option in my mind. So please any of the experts, Please help

Regards,
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [4]

Send PM
Kudos