GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Jul 2020, 11:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ross (20k) vs Anderson vs Tepper (60k)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Ross ($20K) vs. Tepper ($60K) vs. Anderson $0

• 52% [22]
  • 40% [17]
  • 7% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Insurance)
Ross (20k) vs Anderson vs Tepper (60k)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2020, 08:39
SageJiraiya wrote:
parik92 wrote:
Hi,

I am an Indian applicant currently working in the Semiconductor Industry as a Micro-controller Design Engineer. Post MBA I want to get into Product Management roles in the High Tech industry in companies such as Google, Apple, Amazon.
Currently I have admits from Ross( 20k) ,Tepper (60k) and Anderson (No $) . In these uncertain times the 40k difference between Ross and Tepper is definitely a factor worth considering but I am not sure if Ross' brand value will offset that down the line. The only reason I have Anderson still in consideration is because of its location. Any suggestion here would be highly appreciated .

bb souvik101990 Will it please be possible to share your opinion on this ?

Regards
Parikshit

Hi Parik92
That’s a great list of admits you have there!
I am sort of in a similar position (actually plan on submitting a post of my own later, but that’s beside the point).

Honestly, both the schools will open the doors to top tech companies.
Both have great resources, especially for tech.

CMU is a very big name in tech. Their MS program is top tier and the community is closely knit for sure.
I don’t think UM undergrad is as big a name as CMU in tech at least. Now that might not directly affect you, but it speaks something about the caliber of people you will interact with and make connections with.

That being said, Like someone has mentioned above, you’ll only probably get 1 MBA.
I’d suggest taking other factors into consideration as well.
1. The community - Talk to current and admittedly students. See where you feel like you could grow more personally.

2. Resources - which specific resources of each b school appeal to you. How do you plan on utilising these resources to reach your goals.

3. Alums - try reaching out to a few alums and see how receptive they are. Get their takes if possible.

4. Post MBA goals - where do you wanna work post MBA. Both schools are widely known in the US, but see which school is perceived better in your place of choice.

As far as the brand factor is concerned, I don’t think it matters a lot if you’re planning to work in the US. Both schools are pretty well known. BB has a great post on the importance of brand of a school. Would definitely encourage you to check that out.
But, The current scenario is something you can’t ignore. I think in this scenario, a better brand makes a bit more sense than it generally does. But don’t take my word for it, look at the detailed report of the 2010 and 2009 stats on P&Q.

TL;DR
1. Both schools will open the doors for you.
2. 40k difference is significant, but shouldn’t be the operatives factor imho.
3. You get one MBA, think of the whole experience. In this area, Ross sort of beats Tepper for me.

All the best and please keep us posted!

Posted from my mobile device

CMU is definitely strong in tech in the sense that the university is a top 3 program in Computer Science, but your assessment about UMich undergrad is not quite valid. Their BBA program is top 3 in the country and it's Engineering program is top 5, based on US News. Oddly enough, the UMich undergrad program is actually quite a bit stronger than the MBA program in terms of talent. The BBAs who pursue an MBA end up at programs like Harvard, Wharton, Kellogg, Tuck. It's hardly below the Top 10 (Ross usually being on the outskirts of that). They're incredibly smart and driven students, which all Ross MBAs were actually quite impressed, and at times intimidated, by at the Winter Garden when you hear the quality of their work and discussions. Many who do tech out of the BBA also don't even pursue an MBA because they become a PM in 2-4 years after undergrad as either their first or second job from graduation.

The Michigan brand as a university is massive, not just speaking as homer if you think that. Take a Google search to see how big our alumni network is and how many CEOs we have. Also, go on LinkedIn and search how many Product Managers our entire university has and compare it to CMU and other programs. It's quite staggering how well Michigan in general does. If anything, the Ross MBA program has a humble ranking compared to UMich's BBA, Engineering, Law, and Medical School rankings (to name a few programs).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Re: Ross (20k) vs Anderson vs Tepper (60k)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2020, 08:48
bigge2win wrote:

Bigge2win, I agree with your assessment here - I think US News is fraud, they should have ranked The Stephen M. Ross School of Business #1

Wharton Moderator
G
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2020, 08:50
bigge2win wrote:
SageJiraiya wrote:
parik92 wrote:
Hi,

I am an Indian applicant currently working in the Semiconductor Industry as a Micro-controller Design Engineer. Post MBA I want to get into Product Management roles in the High Tech industry in companies such as Google, Apple, Amazon.
Currently I have admits from Ross( 20k) ,Tepper (60k) and Anderson (No $) . In these uncertain times the 40k difference between Ross and Tepper is definitely a factor worth considering but I am not sure if Ross' brand value will offset that down the line. The only reason I have Anderson still in consideration is because of its location. Any suggestion here would be highly appreciated .

Regards
Parikshit

Hi Parik92
I am sort of in a similar position (actually plan on submitting a post of my own later, but that’s beside the point).

CMU is a very big name in tech. Their MS program is top tier and the community is closely knit for sure.
I don’t think UM undergrad is as big a name as CMU in tech at least. Now that might not directly affect you, but it speaks something about the caliber of people you will interact with and make connections with.

That being said, Like someone has mentioned above, you’ll only probably get 1 MBA.
1. The community - Talk to current and admittedly students. See where you feel like you could grow more personally.

2. Resources - which specific resources of each b school appeal to you. How do you plan on utilising these resources to reach your goals.

3. Alums - try reaching out to a few alums and see how receptive they are. Get their takes if possible.

4. Post MBA goals - where do you wanna work post MBA. Both schools are widely known in the US, but see which school is perceived better in your place of choice.

As far as the brand factor is concerned, I don’t think it matters a lot if you’re planning to work in the US. Both schools are pretty well known. BB has a great post on the importance of brand of a school. Would definitely encourage you to check that out.
But, The current scenario is something you can’t ignore. I think in this scenario, a better brand makes a bit more sense than it generally does. But don’t take my word for it, look at the detailed report of the 2010 and 2009 stats on P&Q.

TL;DR
3. You get one MBA, think of the whole experience. In this area, Ross sort of beats Tepper for me.

CMU is definitely strong in tech in the sense that the university is a top 3 program in Computer Science, but your assessment about UMich undergrad is not quite valid. Their BBA program is top 3 in the country and it's Engineering program is top 5, based on US News. Oddly enough, the UMich undergrad program is actually quite a bit stronger than the MBA program in terms of talent. The BBAs who pursue an MBA end up at programs like Harvard, Wharton, Kellogg, Tuck. It's hardly below the Top 10 (Ross usually being on the outskirts of that). They're incredibly smart and driven students, which all Ross MBAs were actually quite impressed, and at times intimidated, by at the Winter Garden when you hear the quality of their work and discussions. Many who do tech out of the BBA also don't even pursue an MBA because they become a PM in 2-4 years after undergrad as either their first or second job from graduation.

The Michigan brand as a university is massive, not just speaking as homer if you think that. Take a Google search to see how big our alumni network is and how many CEOs we have. Also, go on LinkedIn and search how many Product Managers our entire university has and compare it to CMU and other programs. It's quite staggering how well Michigan in general does. If anything, the Ross MBA program has a humble ranking compared to UMich's BBA, Engineering, Law, and Medical School rankings (to name a few programs).

Yeah! You're right. Point taken.
Actually, I think the phrasing of my sentence was very bad. What I meant to say was, CMU in tech is ahead of UMich.
I wasn't insinuating that UMich's undergrad is bad or anything. It has one of the greatest living alumni network. That is the reason why I applied to Ross tbh.
In terms of tech though, I think CMU has UMich beat easily!
That is all what I wanted to convey! Sorry for the misunderstanding!

There is just one thing about rankings - Don't just take the rankings on the face value (I am not saying that you personally do that, just a PSA).
For instance, USNews has ranked UMich #17 on the best global universities ranking and #25 on the best national universities.
On a deeper look, it turns out that their global ranking data is collected by a third party and has a big element of perception in it.
For their national rankings, they process the data themselves!
B

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2020, 09:25
SageJiraiya wrote:
bigge2win wrote:
SageJiraiya wrote:
parik92 wrote:
Hi,

Regards
Parikshit

Hi Parik92

TL;DR

Actually, I think the phrasing of my sentence was very bad. What I meant to say was, CMU in tech is ahead of UMich.
I wasn't insinuating that UMich's undergrad is bad or anything. It has one of the greatest living alumni network. That is the reason why I applied to Ross tbh.

There is just one thing about rankings - Don't just take the rankings on the face value (I am not saying that you personally do that, just a PSA).
For instance, USNews has ranked UMich #17 on the best global universities ranking and #25 on the best national universities.
On a deeper look, it turns out that their global ranking data is collected by a third party and has a big element of perception in it.

There's no misunderstanding. I was refuting your point that CMU is better than UMich in tech. I didn't interpret you saying UMich as being bad. Sure, the rankings aren't to be taken at face value, but they are still an indicator of employer perception of students for recruiting. That's the reality of it.

If anything, evidence and data you search on LinkedIn will tell you that Michigan has CMU "beat easily" in Tech, Bay Area, Product Managers, etc. Just do that simple search and you'll see that UMich (not Ross specifically) has CMU beat by at least 2x however you slice it.

My evaluation criteria would obviously shift from the number of people in Tech, Bay Area and PM to other data points if compared to schools like Harvard/Stanford/MIT, who obviously have more entrepreneurs who start companies and get VC funding (and actually have UMich beat easily or by a landslide). But unless I'm not aware, CMU isn't at that level with Harvard, Stanford, MIT to be evaluated that way.
Wharton Moderator
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2020, 09:50
bigge2win wrote:
SageJiraiya wrote:
bigge2win wrote:
SageJiraiya wrote:
parik92 wrote:
Hi,

Regards
Parikshit

Hi Parik92

TL;DR

There's no misunderstanding. I was refuting your point that CMU is better than UMich in tech. I didn't interpret you saying UMich as being bad. Sure, the rankings aren't to be taken at face value, but they are still an indicator of employer perception of students for recruiting. That's the reality of it.

If anything, evidence and data you search on LinkedIn will tell you that Michigan has CMU "beat easily" in Tech, Bay Area, Product Managers, etc. Just do that simple search and you'll see that UMich (not Ross specifically) has CMU beat by at least 2x however you slice it.

I thought I wasn't clear that I was specifically talking about tech.
We'll have to agree to disagree here.
I don't think UMich is better than CMU in terms of tech. Not atleast in their MS courses.
Overall, considering BBA and everything, I'd say that UMich is better than CMU, but purely in tech, I don't believe that is the case.

Also, the number of alums might not be the best metric here because UMich has a bigger class size.
CMU's SCS has 90 students in MS CS.
UMich has 100+
Not a big difference surely, but I honestly don't think there is a 2x difference in the search results on Linkedin either.
Also, for the MS in CS atleast, CMU has a higher selectivity than UMich (90/1700+ vs 100+/1200+).

If you do have some sources, except for linkedin, I'd be happy to go over them and get a better understanding of your view!
B

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2020, 15:13
JohnJohnJ wrote:
bigge2win wrote:

Bigge2win, I agree with your assessment here - I think US News is fraud, they should have ranked The Stephen M. Ross School of Business #1

LOL. Someone has great reading comprehension skills.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2020, 15:36
SageJiraiya wrote:
bigge2win wrote:
SageJiraiya wrote:
bigge2win wrote:
SageJiraiya wrote:
Hi Parik92

TL;DR

I thought I wasn't clear that I was specifically talking about tech.
We'll have to agree to disagree here.
I don't think UMich is better than CMU in terms of tech. Not atleast in their MS courses.
Overall, considering BBA and everything, I'd say that UMich is better than CMU, but purely in tech, I don't believe that is the case.

Also, the number of alums might not be the best metric here because UMich has a bigger class size.
CMU's SCS has 90 students in MS CS.
UMich has 100+
Not a big difference surely, but I honestly don't think there is a 2x difference in the search results on Linkedin either.
Also, for the MS in CS atleast, CMU has a higher selectivity than UMich (90/1700+ vs 100+/1200+).

If you do have some sources, except for linkedin, I'd be happy to go over them and get a better understanding of your view!

Yes, we'll have to disagree. The metric or interpretation of who's "better" for tech is pretty subjective, since it depends on how you define "better."

If you're talking about selectivity to the Masters of CS program, yeah, that's CMU. Or reputation of Computer Science, yes, CMU again. If you're talking about volume of PMs in the Bay Area, that's UMich. For the PM-specific instance, LinkedIn search of PMs from UMich comes out to ~40,000. For CMU, it's ~16,000. (Hence, my 2x number) There's obviously some noise in the data if some people call themselves PMs if they're truly not (if they want their titles/headlines to come up in PM recruiter searches) or if it's population set bias if a larger proportion of UMich PMs have a LinkedIn profile vs. the proportion of CMU PMs who have a profile. But this network (knowing that both are very good schools) is essentially like your lead generation for running a company. The more leads you got, the more chances of success. And where else would you go to contact alumni? Most universities don't have very updated information about their alumni since it's self populated, so LinkedIn is the place to go.

When we define the value of the MBA, we very much tie it to the value of the alumni network (at least to me). And that value is also tied to the greater university. Now, I usually agree with you and anyone else when it comes to evaluating effectiveness of an MBA program, company strategy, athlete performance, etc. by measuring based on the percentages (and proficiency/efficiency of performance), and not volume. But the way I'm looking at this is how wide and expansive the network is, considering CMU and UMich are both incredibly great schools with smart, talented people in the workforce. Suppose the alumni network for both programs has a response rate of 30%, it's safe to say that 30% of a larger alumni base will help build a larger network and getting more contacts at more companies. Now, if CMU has a larger penetration of CMU alums being Directors of PM and in leadership roles throughout the tech industry versus UMich, I'd change my opinion and side with you immediately since those CMU alums would make their alma mater a target school (much like Tim Cook with Fuqua).

Now, if your profile alone is so strong (whether you go to CMU, UMich, or no MBA), go with the cheapest option, since you'll assume success any path you take.
Wharton Moderator
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2020, 16:59
bigge2win wrote:
Yes, we'll have to disagree. The metric or interpretation of who's "better" for tech is pretty subjective, since it depends on how you define "better."

If you're talking about selectivity to the Masters of CS program, yeah, that's CMU. Or reputation of Computer Science, yes, CMU again. If you're talking about volume of PMs in the Bay Area, that's UMich. For the PM-specific instance, LinkedIn search of PMs from UMich comes out to ~40,000. For CMU, it's ~16,000. (Hence, my 2x number) There's obviously some noise in the data if some people call themselves PMs if they're truly not (if they want their titles/headlines to come up in PM recruiter searches) or if it's population set bias if a larger proportion of UMich PMs have a LinkedIn profile vs. the proportion of CMU PMs who have a profile. But this network (knowing that both are very good schools) is essentially like your lead generation for running a company. The more leads you got, the more chances of success. And where else would you go to contact alumni? Most universities don't have very updated information about their alumni since it's self populated, so LinkedIn is the place to go.

When we define the value of the MBA, we very much tie it to the value of the alumni network (at least to me). And that value is also tied to the greater university. Now, I usually agree with you and anyone else when it comes to evaluating effectiveness of an MBA program, company strategy, athlete performance, etc. by measuring based on the percentages (and proficiency/efficiency of performance), and not volume. But the way I'm looking at this is how wide and expansive the network is, considering CMU and UMich are both incredibly great schools with smart, talented people in the workforce. Suppose the alumni network for both programs has a response rate of 30%, it's safe to say that 30% of a larger alumni base will help build a larger network and getting more contacts at more companies. Now, if CMU has a larger penetration of CMU alums being Directors of PM and in leadership roles throughout the tech industry versus UMich, I'd change my opinion and side with you immediately since those CMU alums would make their alma mater a target school (much like Tim Cook with Fuqua).

Now, if your profile alone is so strong (whether you go to CMU, UMich, or no MBA), go with the cheapest option, since you'll assume success any path you take.

You hit the nail right on its head on everything there! And yes, maybe it's just me but I focus a lot more on selectivity. Maybe that's not the right metric, but I assume that speaks a lot about the value of the brand. But so does the quality and volume of alums so, like you said, it really is subjective and will differ for everyone.

I also have similar thoughts about the alumni network. I think the value of a strong network can never be overstated and UMich definitely leads here by miles!
I am not sure why there is such a big difference in these numbers. All factors considered, there shouldn't be that big a difference, but then again "Largest living alumni network" is the key benefit of UMich. So, I get what you mean. Point taken!

You make great points. Would love to get your thoughts on Fuqua vs Ross (on my own post, don't wanna hijack this thread).
B

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2020, 16:23
SageJiraiya wrote:
bigge2win wrote:

You hit the nail right on its head on everything there! And yes, maybe it's just me but I focus a lot more on selectivity. Maybe that's not the right metric, but I assume that speaks a lot about the value of the brand. But so does the quality and volume of alums so, like you said, it really is subjective and will differ for everyone.

I also have similar thoughts about the alumni network. I think the value of a strong network can never be overstated and UMich definitely leads here by miles!
I am not sure why there is such a big difference in these numbers. All factors considered, there shouldn't be that big a difference, but then again "Largest living alumni network" is the key benefit of UMich. So, I get what you mean. Point taken!

You make great points. Would love to get your thoughts on Fuqua vs Ross (on my own post, don't wanna hijack this thread).

I don't see your other post anywhere in the Forum or under your profile. Mind linking?
Wharton Moderator
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2020, 05:53
bigge2win wrote:
I don't see your other post anywhere in the Forum or under your profile. Mind linking?

Hi, sorry I hadn't posted it yet.
I have tagged you, but here is the link to the post - https://gmatclub.com/forum/duke-fuqua-v ... 22869.html
Re: Ross (20k) vs Anderson vs Tepper (60k)   [#permalink] 03 May 2020, 05:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

Ross (20k) vs Anderson vs Tepper (60k)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate