GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 02 Jul 2020, 09:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ross vs Mccombs($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Ross vs Mccombs($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 06:40
Hi..I am an Indian applicant and have been admitted to Ross and Mccombs($40k).

My primary post-mba goal is Investment Banking coming from a trading background. I am also open to exploring other finance options(corp fin/IM). I know neither of these programs is very strong at finance but I was waitlisted at Stern..so I have to make the next best bet!

I dont have any geographical biases as such and my main concern is the huge cost difference between the two(Mccombs is $90k cheaper).
Being an international applicant..is it wise to take a risk worth $90k more in this case? How much difference is it going to make vis-a-vis recruiting opportunities at both these programs and whether the difference is worth $90k?

Would really appreciate some insights from current students as well as forum members as I have to make this decision in next 40 hours!

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 19:39
Congrats on your admits!!!

IB is very tricky to recruit for. It’s more realistic now that it’s not a super hot industry or position but still few companies recruit on campus for IB.

I kind of feel you need to go to top 10 school to recruit to IB but it’s all about networking

Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Ross vs Mccombs($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2019, 01:34
I agree with bb on this one. IB starts very early and is a tough nut to crack. Most Rossers who recruit IB/IM/PE/HF are almost nowhere to be seen in the first fall quarter. That said, a lot of people at Ross recruited IB and got incredible jobs. Looking up at the recruitment outcome spreadsheet, 47/361 got into Finance/Banking and 24 out of those got IB offers for the summer.

Tl; Dr - Pick Ross. Go Blue.

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2019, 01:47
Thanks for the reply souvik! Can you please tell how many of these 47- finance and 24- IB people were internationals or indians for that matter?

Alum
V
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2019, 01:57
cooldude21 wrote:
Thanks for the reply souvik! Can you please tell how many of these 47- finance and 24- IB people were internationals or indians for that matter?

ooh, that's tough for me to address, but I have one Indian who recruited IB and landed a sweet gig last year. He is graduating but I can give you his linkedin if you want to reach out to him. PM me.
Schools: Duke '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2019, 08:17
BB, I think that most large banks actively recruit at each of the top 16 schools (ending with Cornell/UCLA). From my understanding, about 70+% of US citizens going out for IB from that subset of schools get an offer (it may be lower tier or middle market, etc., but an offer nontheless).

Ross is definitely a member of this club, the difference between them and Darden/Duke/Tuck/Yale is that instead of 10-15% going into banking, about 8% do. That's the same % as Texas, and the lower number is slightly self perpetuating and mostly self selection at Ross. All of this is to say--you no longer need a "top 10" MBA for better-than-even odds of getting IB, but rather top 16ish and some recruiting even extends fairly well into the certain top 20ish (from UNC all the way to Gtown and Vandy).

While McCombs is not part of that top 16 group, they place EXTREMELY well in Houston for energy banking. OP, if you have no geographic preference, would this be appealing?

The biggest wildcard for you is the international aspect. I have heard this is tougher but I have no idea about numbers. Have you been able to reach out to any students in your position at these schools?
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2019, 09:54
mradamsmith thans for the reply! The houston IB that you are talking about doesnt care much about internationals and is a strict no. East coast though is a possibility..but we all know how much reputation Mccombs holds outside of texas!
I have also talked to current students at both the schools..and going by the internship trends this year..indian students at Mccombs have had a hard time getting one..most of them in tech firms..nobody tried for finance that much.

Current Student
S
Schools: Duke '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2019, 10:44
Got it--well I'm sorry to hear of the struggles with international placement. When will you hear about Stern? It sounds to me that Michigan will give you the "best" shot at IB but given the prospects for internationals, that might not be a "great" shot. As you mentioned, the Texas name is as strong as they come in the region but dissipates quickly outside. Ross is a more national brand with more even geographic placement.

I would make sure you can connect with ANY internationals pursuing IB at those schools and making sure they give you candid feedback before making a decision. Congrats again and good luck.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2019, 10:52
Redfield was in a similar situation last year: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ross-no-vs-m ... 62312.html though I think his goals were slightly different. I feel there is a pretty strong overlap between Ross and McCombs in terms of Rossers using McCombs as a safety so almost anyone at Ross can probably weigh on why Ross and potentially vice versa.
G

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2019, 19:53
I just feel that CFA + MBA increases your chances of getting into IB. I know a few who had CFA + Pitt Katz MBA, they ended up at GS, Jeffries, Guggenheim...
Despite me being in consulting, I feel IB is a better career choice - more $ and less travel. I kick myself each day for not getting a CFA and not trying to get into IB

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ross vs Mccombs($$)   [#permalink] 13 May 2019, 19:53

Ross vs Mccombs($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate