SORT BY
Most helpful
SORT BY
Recent interviewed
SORT BY
Recent posted
Debrief posted on  Apr 01 2019 [#permalink] Rotman, Full Time MBA
Skype Interviewed on: Mar 18 2019 Final Decision: Admitted

"The debrief is quite similar to the thread I've seen regarding the interview. Off the top of my head, they asked me to run through my CV and identify what I think the highlight of it is, they asked me for an instance where networking benefitted me and to talk about how I, as a leader would handle someone in a team who isn't pulling their weight. Richard (my lovely interviewer) also asked about my long term and short term goals, and why I picked Rotman. I got a call this morning from Richard, saying I've been accepted with scholarship :) So, to give you a timeline I applied on March 4th, got my invitation for an interview on March 14th, scheduled my interview for March 18th and finally got a decision today on March 22nd :)"

antonellahm93 from Ecuador
0 out of 0 people found this Debrief helpful.

Was this Debrief helpful for you?

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Mar 04 2019 [#permalink] Rotman, Full Time MBA
On Campus Interviewed on: Feb 25 2019 Final Decision: Admitted

"Hi, I've outlined my journey with Rotman below hoping to help anyone who needs it. APPLICATION: I had submitted my application on January 14th for R2 and received an interview invite a week later. My interview was scheduled for the 25th of February. I had almost a month to prepare for the interview. I went through every interview debrief and made a list of all the questions asked. I also went through the 2018 intake forum discussion to get a better insight into the questions (meticulously went through each page, reading every relevant post). As you keep researching, you do realize that they have a common set of questions that they ask every candidate they interview and only a few get questions that are out of the box. Though it's best to be prepared with a set of answers for each question, I do feel you should also go through general interview prep material. I would definitely recommend Rhythm's interview guide which I found here on gmatclub. As he says, it is really crucial to have a story prepared for each element - leadership, community, teamwork, personal failure, strengths, etc. INTERVIEW My interview was with the adcom and on campus. I hadn't been to the campus before this so I reached early just to breath it all in. It was pretty exciting just thinking that maybe this could be it. The interview was around 35-40 minutes long. She asked me pretty much the same questions (the ones I had prepared for from previous debriefs). All in all, it was pretty standard. Towards the end, she asked me if I had any questions for her and this is one section where I feel everyone should have at least 2-3 questions ready - something that's not so obvious and a little different. GETTING ADMITTED: I got a call on March 4th from the adcom that I got in with a scholarship. I was beyond excited and kept thanking her so much. My advice to anyone invited for an interview is to just be confident, research excessively on Rotman (every little thing that sets them apart) and their program and know your resume and your stories very well. Best of luck!"

Negin916 from Canada GMAT 640; WE: 48 months; Retail

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Dec 23 2018 [#permalink] Rotman, Full Time MBA
Skype Interviewed on: Dec 17 2018 Final Decision: Admitted

"Applied on Nov 1st, 2018, got invite for Skype interview on Dec 14th. Had my Skype interview on Dec 17th, got admission on Dec 19th, Should definitely dress in suit like you would do for a face to face interview. Very basic interview questions: 1. Walk me through your resume in 2 mins 2. Why MBA? Why now? Why Rotman? 3. What is your short term and long term goal? How can Rotman MBA help you? 4. What are three characters you think a leader should have? Do you have one of them and can you show me an example? 5. What is your biggest failure? 6. What is your biggest strength? 7. Did you apply to other school? did you get any offer? 8. If someone is not performing as per your expectation, what would you do? 9. Do you have any thing else you want to share with admission committee that we don't know? 10. Do you have questions for me? It last 35 mins I think. Very typical questions about the school, program, your goal, etc. You just need to be familiar with yourself and your stories. Be authentic and relaxed. They just want to confirm what the application paper shows is aligned with real people through interview. After interview, you should write a thank you letter to the interviewer . They usually give you answer by the date or even earlier than they promised. Good luck to all."

thomasedzhang from Canada GMAT 640; WE: 48 months; Retail

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Nov 07 2018 [#permalink] Rotman
Skype Interviewed on: Oct 28 2018

"I met up with my interviewer twice previously during the MBA Tours and a 1-1 Coffee Chat. My advice is to already know which schools you are aiming for before attending the MBA Tours and use your time there to network with their AdComms team voraciously, rather than go for these MBA Tours only to "find out more", unless you are not intending to apply in that intake. Keep a lookout for when your target school representatives make a visit to your country and network with their AdComms again. Make sure that they are aware of who you are and know you by name. Speak to alumni in those events only if you need to desperately know the culture of the school on that same day or to ask something which is not convenient to ask the AdComms team, because the AdComms team makes the final decision regarding whether you matriculate into the school, not the alumni. So spend as much physical time with the AdComms team, not alumni. Try to Skype the alumni instead, which is a 1-1 session and you can ask more personal questions. Be pleasant during networking - don't stand shyly at the back but don't hog the AdComms member talking to you or be aggressive towards others in the group. Your positive attributes (and negative ones) will be remembered. MBA classes are all about fit and being part of the team. The AdComms team have good memory despite seeing so many people in so many events. For my interview, I enjoyed a small chit-chat at the beginning since the interviewer already knew my story via the 1-1 Coffee Chat and what I aspire to do after the MBA. Keep up to the latest news regarding Rotman, be it from their website, or from other sources. Preferably other sources. I managed to pick up an article on Rotman that was so recent (published only hours before the interview) that it didn't appear on Google, and the chit-chat revolved around that. It showed that I wasn't merely doing a last minute Google search on Rotman before the interview to impress, but rather I was really looking out for such news on an almost daily basis. The standard questions followed: - What led you to decide to apply to Rotman? - Why Rotman instead of other schools? - Why are you picking ****** as your career goal? (the interviewer remembered my career goal from the 1-1 Coffee Chat session, so make sure that your story doesn't contradict - if you have a very strong reason for reading an MBA, your story will always be consistent) - Tell me when you faced an issue while working as a team - Tell me an instance when networking helped you - Tell me an instance when you learnt something valuable from someone (I spoke of someone I learnt a great deal from, and suddenly realised that he was one of my recommenders for Rotman when I was wrapping up my answer - crazy coincidence because I chose different recommenders for the different schools I applied to! - and just managed to mention this fact before the next question, or that moment would have been lost) - Tell me one instance when you encountered a failure - Is there anything that you wished I had asked you Then came the questions to be posed to Rotman. Target to ask around 3 questions unless you had been really eloquent in your responses and the interview is already past 45 minutes. Use your own judgement, sense how tired the interviewer already is. If the interviewer is still energetic and raring to go, go ahead and ask questions but try not to go beyond 55 minutes so that they can prepare for the next interview and/or write positive notes about you after you log off. Also, speak to alumni you are already friendly with to confirm that the problems you sighted in the programme have not been addressed (it would be a little embarrassing if the problems you thought were present had already been addressed in the recent intake)."

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Nov 03 2018 [#permalink] Rotman
Skype Interviewed on: Oct 23 2018 Final Decision: Admitted

"1) My profile: 7.5 years of work ex in corporate finance with majority in boutique IB firm in M&A consulting. I have worked on a few medium ticket size M&A transactions for international companies. CFA Charterholder. GMAT 710. 2) Spike factors: My advice on spike factors for people writing the essays is to keep them as personal as possible. Although the application does not explicitly state that spike factors gotta be personal but an interview will give you plenty of time to talk about your goals. If you can ? you can connect the spike factors with a goal in a very subtle but logical way in one of the spike factors 3)Interview: As I mentioned in one of the posts, I had an opportunity to meet Chris twice before the interview - Once over Skype Early September and next face to face in mid September in New Delhi. I guess this helped a lot in creating a basic foundation of comfort before the interview. Interview is very conversational in nature just like every other B-school interview. Interview is divided in to 4 parts - Introduction, Interview, Questions for Interviewer, and Next Steps. Get your basic stories very tight such as Why MBA ? Why Now ? Why Rotman ? and Why Canada ? you will be surprised that a lot of your interview prep will be through these 3-4 questions. Chris was picking his questions for me from my answers itself. See below a comprehensive list of questions. Keep a personal and professional instance ready for all of these situations. An interview last for 30 - 40 mins. Mine lasted for 55 mins coz I'm particularly loquacious. Remember it is your interview and you're the one in charge of guiding through it: Introduction - Run me through your resume after under-grad. Keep it succinct and be sure to include personal anecdotes here (special note to my fellow Indians). Duration 5 - 7 minutes Interview - 1) Leadership 2) An examples of networking (perhaps only professional) 3) 3 pillars of leadership (discuss any 2) 4) Failure, how did you cope up with it, and what did it teach you 5) ST/LT Goals 6) Plan B Refer to previous year's forums for more questions, I might have forgotten a few. But choose your words very carefully. Write you answers well and practice them during a mock with a friend/s. Once last thing, it is good to know your story at the back of your hand but remember you don't have to sound robotic (again as advice to my fellow Indian, it is okay to stammer and be like "um" as conversational fillers). If you wanna think about something tell the interviewer can i take 5 secs ? but be sure to not take more to avoid awkwardness. Questions for Interviewer - Don't just ask for the heck. Ask real questions to which you want answers. Interviewers have been doing it for a while and they'll know when you're being fake. My advice ? Ask people their life experiences people love to talk about their experiences Next Steps - I dont have any inputs here...Interviewer will guide you on this perfectly dont worry.. Final few words - Be confident, Be real, and take charge of your interview (but not in a cocky way). Lets get that admit. I'm sure all the serious applicants must have connected with MBA students for getting to know Rotman better. It might be a good idea to refer to those students in your interview, but remember name dropping is like good scotch only good in a limited."

VijayDinanathChauhan from India GMAT 710; WE: 90 months; Investment Banking

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Nov 12 2018 [#permalink] Rotman
Off Campus with Adcom Interviewed on: Oct 23 2018 Final Decision: Admitted

"I applied on 30th September and heard back from Leigh for an interview request on 4th October. Scheduled for interview on 23rd Oct and finally got an offer on 8th Nov. Following were some of the questions that were asked during the interview: 1. Walk me through your resume. 2. Did you ever lead a team? 3. How do you connect with people? 4. Have you ever given feedback to non-contributing team members? 5. What are your short and long term goals? 6. What are the traits you think a leader should have? 7. What is one question that you think I should have asked you, but didn't?"

tcborty2007 from Singapore

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 07 2018 [#permalink] Rotman
Skype Interviewed on: Nov 16 2017 Final Decision: Admitted

"Hi all, I just had an interview with Leigh Gauthier. It was pleasant and quite informal. The questions asked were: - Why Rotman and Canada - Walk me through your resume - (ask about a specific point on my resume) - Short term goal - Have you ever wanted something so badly, you were unstoppable - An example of networking - If you teach a class, what it would be/ Teach me something in that class - Is there anything that you wish I'd asked you"

IhpAb from Singapore GMAT 770;

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 07 2018 [#permalink] Rotman
Skype Interviewed on: Oct 24 2017 Final Decision: Matriculating

"Had my interview earlier. Some questions were really interesting/unexpected, eg. - what will be your legacy at Rotman - how did you come to learn about Rotman (Part of me wonders why they asked this. Do they think its weird I'm applying? I'm trying not to read too much into things) - most measurable impact in your career - walk through resume and explain why you made the choices you did - tell me about a time you used networking - what class would you teach, teach it in 2 minutes - where else are you applying Some others I can't recall. I liked my interviewer and really hope the feeling was mutual :-) My advice for potential interviewees: overprepare :) And make sure you have questions at the end to ask."

yes
no
Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap