Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:07 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Rotman vs Schulich [#permalink]
DrewF wrote:
But why is every ranking different. Some place Rotman above Schulich, some place Schulich above Rotman. I am a Finance guy. It is my understanding that Rotman is a much better school specifically for finance. However what I am really wondering is weather the $30k is money well spent? Or can I get the same role out of Schulich if I work a little harder.

If you look closely, Rotman is not even ranked in 2/4 major international rankings while Schulich is ranked on all 4. Of the rankings that they are both on, Rotman and Schulich has approximately similar rankings. At best, Rotman is viewed as equivalent to Schulich and at worst, they're not in the same league.

Personally, I don't think the finance gap is all that big between the two and until someone can prove that the difference justify paying 30k for, I'm going with the cheaper and higher ranked of the two schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
But it seems specifically for Finance all the job prospects in toronto go to Rotman. So I don't understand what these rankings are based on.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
https://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/userfiles ... Report.pdf

https://www.schulich.yorku.ca/client/sch ... Survey.pdf

look at the job reports between the two schools. Although they both place in Finance look at the difference in Capital Markets roles
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hmm, not sure if I'm looking at the right place but the only difference I see is that Schulich's average and median salary is 10k higher than Rotman in finance. Their % placement is identical at 33% each.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
look specifically at the where in finance ppl get placed. Not the salaries...more specifically equity research, sales and trading and IB and even rotational programs.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it unless that's the only thing that you want to do after graduating. Keep in mind that Schulich was about 2x the size of Rotman so the absolute number placed by each school is much closer than the %. Also with Rotman expanding their size by 33% I have a feeling their % would drop as the absolute number for placement remains the same. That's my take on it anyway.

Keep in mind that Schulich has a stronger incoming student body with higher GMAT and stronger outgoing grads with higher salary. This combines with lower costs and stronger international rep when compared to Rotman makes Schulich an attractive choice for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
All I can say, I would choose Schulich over anyone else any day. Outstanding value proposition, I dont know where the comments about slacker students are coming from. Also, nice to see the absence of "we are like Harvard" because our dean and half of faculty from there or because we adopted their teaching method. Schulich is distinct with unique value proposition and clearly defined strategy of becoming a global business school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I don’t think I am getting defensive, I’m just stating MY opinion and it’s my opinion only. As for not putting too much weight on the students comment...why not? I certainly know more about the school than you do because I go there. I bet if a student was praising Rotman you wouldn’t make such a comment. About the teaching method from Harvard, I was taking a shot at Ivey not Rotman. Nor did I ever imply that faculty from Harvard is bad. What I was getting at, is that they try to leverage Harvard's brand to help their own. However, in doing so, you acknowledge that you are inferior and playing a catch-up. Also questions the credibility of their own branding strategy.

Unlike you, I respect all Canadian schools, and no matter where one chooses to go, I think it’s a great decision to pursue MBA. My experience at Schulich was absolutely great despite what you want to think.
GMAT Club Bot