Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Re: Round 3 Applicant- Would a Luxury job help my application? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
fredchopin wrote:
Unique candidate. I have my own brand (on the side) and have been working as a contracted consultant for the last year (moved from management consulting to a french advertising firm doing the same job). My contract just ended and it wasn't renewed because they know I'm applying to business school.

i know for a fact that I want to make a major career move into Luxury Brand Management and study 1 of 4 semesters at HEC Paris or Essec.

I now have a bunch of free time (after I take the GMAT in the next 3 weeks) and am looking at getting a job at a luxury brand (Gucci, LV, etc.)

Would this job in retail help my application and story? I previously worked 2 years in management consulting as a project manager but want to show my career goals.

Yes this would definitely help. We do a lot of work with these boutique luxury programs and I know the folks at ESSEC quite well. I just finished an app for someone else for their luxury brand management program so feel free to reach out with questions. www.personalmbacoach.com

Good luck!

Best,
Scott
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
fredchopin wrote:
Unique candidate. I have my own brand (on the side) and have been working as a contracted consultant for the last year (moved from management consulting to a french advertising firm doing the same job). My contract just ended and it wasn't renewed because they know I'm applying to business school.

i know for a fact that I want to make a major career move into Luxury Brand Management and study 1 of 4 semesters at HEC Paris or Essec.

I now have a bunch of free time (after I take the GMAT in the next 3 weeks) and am looking at getting a job at a luxury brand (Gucci, LV, etc.)

Would this job in retail help my application and story? I previously worked 2 years in management consulting as a project manager but want to show my career goals.

Hi Fred, I imagine you know the risks of applying in R3, most of seats are gone and acceptance rates are way lower than for R1 and R2. However if you bring a lot of diversity to the school, and feel that now is better than the summer in terms of time to prepare your apps - go for it. Sorry to hear your contract wasn't renewed, and it is a wise move for you to consider how to spend your time. I will tell you that the GMAT does not always go off without a hitch the first time so make sure to keep that in mind, when planning how to use your time. My question would be - can you get exposure to the industry without working retail? It might be better to do an internship, paid or unpaid, at a corporate or region level than working in a store. However, better that nothing - I would not list it on your resume alongside the other positions if you are a sales associate. Make sure to couch it as an internship, a means to gain a close up view on how consumers make decisions in real life. Couch it as research and not the next job. Not sure where you are applying - because you said you only wanted to do one semester abroad?
recommend fashion track at NYU, SDA Bocconi and
there is a fashion focused MBA in Paris, it's very well regarded https://www.ifaparis.com/courses/postgr ... n-business
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Round 3 Applicant- Would a Luxury job help my application? [#permalink]
Also - if anyone has had a similar experience I'd love to speak with you directly via message - any advice helps

Originally posted by fredchopin on 11 Dec 2017, 16:11.
Last edited by fredchopin on 12 Dec 2017, 06:33, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
fredchopin wrote:

Hi Fred, I imagine you know the risks of applying in R3, most of seats are gone and acceptance rates are way lower than for R1 and R2. However if you bring a lot of diversity to the school, and feel that now is better than the summer in terms of time to prepare your apps - go for it. Sorry to hear your contract wasn't renewed, and it is a wise move for you to consider how to spend your time. I will tell you that the GMAT does not always go off without a hitch the first time so make sure to keep that in mind, when planning how to use your time. My question would be - can you get exposure to the industry without working retail? It might be better to do an internship, paid or unpaid, at a corporate or region level than working in a store. However, better that nothing - I would not list it on your resume alongside the other positions if you are a sales associate. Make sure to couch it as an internship, a means to gain a close up view on how consumers make decisions in real life. Couch it as research and not the next job. Not sure where you are applying - because you said you only wanted to do one semester abroad?
recommend fashion track at NYU, SDA Bocconi and
there is a fashion focused MBA in Paris, it's very well regarded

Hi! Much thanks for the detailed response. Really appreciate it.

Yes the risks I am aware of and unfortunately worried about. The contract end is really a killer for me.

Would you recommend delaying to the fall then? Perhaps find a job in that industry under my current skill set (project/account management)? This certainly gives me more time to focus on personalizing my application and probably a higher GMAT score.

My target schools are all NYC market focused - NYU & Cornell. I would definitely consider applying directly to a European school too.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
The more initiative you show in getting closer to your post-MBA career goals the better and more tightly woven your career trajectory will appear. So if this move aligns with your vision there then it feels like a good reason to go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Would you recommend trying to find a job in the industry first and then applying next fall? I am pretty set on brand management because I know it would make me most happy. The prestige of doing ER in Luxury Goods keeps hanging over my head as well.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well since you're not employed, explore all venues. It's a bit late for R2, but there's no reason to delay your application, if your profile has been good thus far. Obviously if you can get a job/gig in the luxury arena, it would be better.
GMAT Club Bot