It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 12:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 446

Kudos [?]: 1854 [0], given: 289

Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2014, 11:08
22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (00:52) correct 55% (00:58) wrong based on 615 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire generation when it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I.

A) generation when it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I
B) generation in that it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I
C) generation, reflecting patriotically on the experiences of World War I
D) generation, for it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I
E) generation, which reflected patriotically on World War I experiences
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 1854 [0], given: 289

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 722

Kudos [?]: 872 [0], given: 724

Location: India
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2014, 21:26
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
goodyear2013 wrote:
Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire generation when it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I.

A) generation when it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I
B) generation in that it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I
C) generation, reflecting patriotically on the experiences of World War I
D) generation, for it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I
E) generation, which reflected patriotically on World War I experiences




Sentence meaning: The Sentence seems to have 2 meanings:

Meaning 1:Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol as the poetry reflected patriotically on the exp..of WW I
or
Meaning 2: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol as the entire generation reflected patriotically on the exp..of WW I..

A: generation when it reflected....Here when is indicating a time when generation reflected patriotically. We can hold this option and comeback ..Note that since this option is also creating ambiguity by giving 2 meanings..most likely it is not going to be the correct ans..

B: Generation in that it reflected.....Usage of in that is incorrect..moreover the pronoun antecedent for it seems to be poetry and not the generation.

C: This option again looks good because Verb-ing modifier is used and the modifier is modifying the whole clause...by providing extra information about poetry..
But then again a questions needs to be asked who does the action of reflecting...it is the entire generation..but C goes well too..

D: generation, for it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I....Now here it is very clear that "it" is referring to the entire generation and is indicating only 1 meaning and not 2...

E: generation, which reflected patriotically on World War I experiences....
which modifies generation and the construction seems to provide information which is not essential But I think the information is essential and hence this construction is not correct.

Out of all options...D does make sense as it conveys only 1 meaning compared to C which can be interpreted in of the 2 ways...

Experts...please comment on the analysis...
_________________


“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Kudos [?]: 872 [0], given: 724

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 831

Kudos [?]: 292 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2014, 23:52
the answer has to be D

Quote:
This option again looks good because Verb-ing modifier is used and the modifier is modifying the whole clause...by providing extra information about poetry..
But then again a questions needs to be asked who does the action of reflecting...it is the entire generation..but C goes well too..


this choice is not good .in fact the verb-ing is wrong in this SC

the only contenders in this SC are B and D and D wins because the meaning demands to reason out as why Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire generation? this is answered by "for"

Kudos [?]: 292 [0], given: 61

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 722

Kudos [?]: 872 [0], given: 724

Location: India
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2014, 04:06
aditya8062 wrote:
the answer has to be D

Quote:
This option again looks good because Verb-ing modifier is used and the modifier is modifying the whole clause...by providing extra information about poetry..
But then again a questions needs to be asked who does the action of reflecting...it is the entire generation..but C goes well too..


this choice is not good .in fact the verb-ing is wrong in this SC

the only contenders in this SC are B and D and D wins because the meaning demands to reason out as why Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire generation? this is answered by "for"



Hi Aditya8062...

Can you please elaborate a Bit more on why option C is incorrect

Thanks
_________________


“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Kudos [?]: 872 [0], given: 724

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 831

Kudos [?]: 292 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2014, 04:36
Quote:
Hi Aditya8062...

Can you please elaborate a Bit more on why option C is incorrect

Thanks


option C says : Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire generation, reflecting patriotically on the experiences of World War I

the "verb-ing" modifier after the comma must represent the result of the previous clause and must make sense with the subject of the previous clause
now what u have to appreciate is that because "Rupert Brooke's poetry" reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I so they turned him into a symbol of a entire generation .this process is not vice versa as is wrongly impled by option C

is it clear now?

Kudos [?]: 292 [0], given: 61

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 955

Kudos [?]: 1930 [0], given: 229

Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2014, 14:43
B,C and D all three are correct. We need EXPERT INTERVENTION here. This question is debatable.

Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire generation when it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I.

A) generation when it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I -- use of when expresses illogical meaning.
B) generation in that it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I -- clause following in that explains how poetry turned poet into a symbol.
C) generation, reflecting patriotically on the experiences of World War I -- participle modifier is also explaining how poet turned him into a symbol.
D) generation, for it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I -- for conjunction -- is also explaining how poetry turned poet into a symbol.
E) generation, which reflected patriotically on World War I experiences -- changes meaning it is not generation as per A that reflected patriotically.
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1930 [0], given: 229

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 831

Kudos [?]: 292 [1], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2014, 19:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Quote:
B,C and D all three are correct.


i have already explained as why C is wrong
also option B is wrong here . the expression "in that" cannot be used in this sentence . "in that" is restrictive in nature . here the meaning demands that we give out REASON as why "Rupert Brooke's poetry" turned him into a symbol of a entire generation
the meaning difference is very subtle but "in that" would be wrong here

Kudos [?]: 292 [1], given: 61

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)
Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 178

Kudos [?]: 83 [5], given: 4

Location: India
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
CAT Tests
Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2014, 20:53
5
This post received
KUDOS
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
To add to the discussion:
"In that" is typically used when you have a general class of items/people and wish to emphasise attributes that are representative of that class or group.

For e.g. Humans are mammals in that they are warm-blooded. The latter part "they are warm-blooded" is a fact that is "representative" of all mammals. The portion following "in that" thus answers "in what way" humans are mammals.

In B, "turned him into a symbol" is an event, not a fact of existence. In addition, reflecting patriotically isn't necessarily a defining characteristic of the event. (Indeed, patriotism often divides people and needn't turn people into symbols of a generation.) So the use of "in that" is not appropriate.

The modifier ", reflecting..." in C can be read thus: "...by reflecting patriotically". Again, the meaning becomes "how" the poetry turned him into a symbol. In a sense, both B and C are stating the "how" but not the "why" -- if you reject one, you might as well reject the other. Also, the use of "reflecting" is slightly problematic: a person reflects/thinks, so stating that poetry is actively reflecting on something seems to be improper personification. (They are talking about poetry here, but GMAT SC questions don't take the flights of fancy poetry takes.)

In D, "for" means "as" or "because". D works because it provides a plausible reason.


--Prasad
_________________

--Prasad
EnterMBA

Kudos [?]: 83 [5], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 955

Kudos [?]: 1930 [1], given: 229

Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2014, 01:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:
B,C and D all three are correct.


i have already explained as why C is wrong
also option B is wrong here . the expression "in that" cannot be used in this sentence . "in that" is restrictive in nature . here the meaning demands that we give out REASON as why "Rupert Brooke's poetry" turned him into a symbol of a entire generation
the meaning difference is very subtle but "in that" would be wrong here


I think in that explains how preceding action is valid or bolster the claim made in preceding clause. Refer following link e-gmat explained the use of in that. Kindly suggest if my understanding based on this article is not applicable to current question.

the-computer-company-s-present-troubles-are-a-result-of-131733.html#p1081109
a. The function of the clause following “in that” is to describe the “how” of the preceding clause.
o Bats are very good at guarding their nests in that they take turns in looking after the nests and inform the others members by making sound if they sense any danger.

Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire generation ---> how ---> in that blah blah blah...
don't you think in that also gives reason to bolster what clause says ?
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1930 [1], given: 229

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 955

Kudos [?]: 1930 [1], given: 229

Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2014, 01:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
prasi55 wrote:
To add to the discussion:
"In that" is typically used when you have a general class of items/people and wish to emphasise attributes that are representative of that class or group.

For e.g. Humans are mammals in that they are warm-blooded. The latter part "they are warm-blooded" is a fact that is "representative" of all mammals. The portion following "in that" thus answers "in what way" humans are mammals.

In B, "turned him into a symbol" is an event, not a fact of existence. In addition, reflecting patriotically isn't necessarily a defining characteristic of the event. (Indeed, patriotism often divides people and needn't turn people into symbols of a generation.) So the use of "in that" is not appropriate.

The modifier ", reflecting..." in C can be read thus: "...by reflecting patriotically". Again, the meaning becomes "how" the poetry turned him into a symbol. In a sense, both B and C are stating the "how" but not the "why" -- if you reject one, you might as well reject the other. Also, the use of "reflecting" is slightly problematic: a person reflects/thinks, so stating that poetry is actively reflecting on something seems to be improper personification. (They are talking about poetry here, but GMAT SC questions don't take the flights of fancy poetry takes.)

In D, "for" means "as" or "because". D works because it provides a plausible reason.


--Prasad


So it is all about that subtle difference between how and why.. now it makes some sense.
Thanks for contrasting the difference in meaning.

Tom broke the glass.
how or why would give different answers.
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1930 [1], given: 229

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 722

Kudos [?]: 872 [0], given: 724

Location: India
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2014, 01:35
Brilliant discussion guys...we basically dissected the question in all possible ways to arrive at the correct answer

Thanks Aditya, Piyush,Prasad and Goodyear..

Posted from my mobile device
_________________


“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Kudos [?]: 872 [0], given: 724

Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2013
Posts: 387

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 139

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2014, 05:04
+1 for D...

I was confused between B and D..both pass the grammar test and the ear test ...Go for D as it is a more common usage..Although I picked B as I was scared after seeing the correct-incorrect ratio :-D

@ Piyush..Nice analysis bro
_________________

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 139

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 955

Kudos [?]: 1930 [1], given: 229

Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2014, 09:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Guys following is one official question. We can try our hands on this, using concept learned above.

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1930 [1], given: 229

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 955

Kudos [?]: 1930 [0], given: 229

Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2014, 09:42
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month -- in that (how) -- no Olympic games can not proclaim truce.
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month -- -ing (how) -- same as above.
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month -- ambiguous reference of they
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival -- for (why) --(because/as) -- that's the one explaining why-- second half is a reason.
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival -- again it is explaining how in an awkward manner... sounds terrible.
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1930 [0], given: 229

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 831

Kudos [?]: 292 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2014, 10:04
Quote:
PiyushK wrote: world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month -- -ing (how) -- same as above.


if ur interpretation of ruling out C is based on this then this is not correct

Kudos [?]: 292 [0], given: 61

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 955

Kudos [?]: 1930 [0], given: 229

Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2014, 10:11
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:
PiyushK wrote: world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month -- -ing (how) -- same as above.


if ur interpretation of ruling out C is based on this then this is not correct


You quoted B instead of C.
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".


Last edited by PiyushK on 20 Jun 2014, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 1930 [0], given: 229

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 831

Kudos [?]: 292 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2014, 10:20
Quote:
You quoted B instead of C.


oh no. i did mean B but i wrote C wrongly (my mistake) .
the reason u have cited for B is not correct
just as a caution .this question is not just about "how" and "why" .the verb -ing is wrong here for the reason i have stated in the beginning

Kudos [?]: 292 [0], given: 61

Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2013
Posts: 387

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 139

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2014, 00:06
PiyushK wrote:
Guys following is one official question. We can try our hands on this, using concept learned above.

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival


A- world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed...ambiguous and awkward
B- Subject mismatch with modifier
C- Change in meaning
D- Correct
E- wordy,awkward and meaning change
_________________

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 139

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2013
Posts: 32

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 62

Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge
Re: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 11:21
goodyear2013 wrote:
Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire generation when it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I.

A) generation when it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I
B) generation in that it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I
C) generation, reflecting patriotically on the experiences of World War I
D) generation, for it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I
E) generation, which reflected patriotically on World War I experiences



In option D, 'it' seems to have an ambiguous antecedent. It could refer to 'Brooke's Poetry', symbol or 'entire generation'. Though symbol doesn't seem to be a logical antecedent, both poetry and entire generation seem to logically fit into the sentence.

On the other hand, the verb-ing modifier in C seems would directly relate to the subject of the preceding clause (Brooke's Poetry). In my opinion, the author of the sentence is referring to the brooke's poetry when he/she talks about reflected patriotically on the experiences of the war.

Any thoughts?

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 62

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Nov 2013
Posts: 341

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 403

GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 01:00
rishabchoraria wrote:
goodyear2013 wrote:
Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire generation when it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I.

A) generation when it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I
B) generation in that it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I
C) generation, reflecting patriotically on the experiences of World War I
D) generation, for it reflected patriotically on the experiences of World War I
E) generation, which reflected patriotically on World War I experiences



In option D, 'it' seems to have an ambiguous antecedent. It could refer to 'Brooke's Poetry', symbol or 'entire generation'. Though symbol doesn't seem to be a logical antecedent, both poetry and entire generation seem to logically fit into the sentence.

On the other hand, the verb-ing modifier in C seems would directly relate to the subject of the preceding clause (Brooke's Poetry). In my opinion, the author of the sentence is referring to the brooke's poetry when he/she talks about reflected patriotically on the experiences of the war.

Any thoughts?


C is wrong.
verb-ing modifier always represents consequence or effect and DOES NOT REPRESENT REASON OR CAUSE.
You are right upto a point where you say that the verb-ing should make sense with the subject of the preceeding clause BUT it Must also REPRESENT the RESULT of the clause or DESCRIBE THE CLAUSE'S EFFECT.
Can we say that the effect of turning into political symbol RESULTED in the Reflecting.....NO We can't.
Hence, D is right because the clause " for it reflected..... " presents the REASON.

In D " for" = because and such use of "for" is common.

Meaning always trumps grammar.

Hope the above is useful!!

I donot mind Kudos
_________________

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 403

Re: Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2015, 01:00

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Rupert Brooke's poetry turned him into a symbol of an entire

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.