Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5428 [312]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [60]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [47]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1927 [10]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
saravalli wrote:
sondenso wrote:
Year, OA is C, and with a BIG question WHY? in my head :-D

B - a ratio that compares to 42 times (of What?)
C avoids that confusion.
However I am not comfortable with CEO's
Is it CEOs ? If yes then then we have 'their' problem in C.
If No, then the sentence does not make sense to me.
....., on average, CEO’s now earn
....., on average, CEOs now earn
I see some difference here..but cannot expln what it is..can anyone help ..Thanks :-D

We are comparing between ratio nowadays and ratio in 1980. Ok, INDICATES need THAT followed. => Rule out D, E.

A:ratio of 42 times in 1980. , B: 42 times ("of" what) in 1980. ==> Eliminate A, B.
C:AS compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio in 1980.
C containS AS. C has only problem with THEIR but can be ACCEPTABLE and C is also the best choice among 5 choices.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average [#permalink]
Kudos
urchin wrote:
A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1990.

b. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times.
c. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
d. CEo's who now earn on average 419 time more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
e. CEO's now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times

Between A and B, I would go with A.
Actually I prefer to repeat " a ratio" in B than just say "compared to 42 times" in A, but the reason I didn't choose B is because B uses "compares" rather than "compared", I think the passive voice "the ratio is compared" is better than the active voice "the ratio compares" in this case.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
ywilfred wrote:
A. that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO’s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio

passive 'CEO' is inappropriate here -- so A,B,C,D are out. C and D also have ambiguous pronoun 'their'

E. CEO’s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times
E is correct.

(E) does not make sense because the sentence leaves you hanging.

"A recent review of pay scales indicates CEOs now earning [X amount], compared to the ratio in 1980..." - this is not correct.

You could say "A recent review of pay scales indicates CEOs now earn [X amount].." - that's OK. But (E) uses "earning" instead of simply "earn" - so (E) is no good.

You can see the explanation for this question here: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... question/7
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [3]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1980

that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times.
Three errors:
Meaning : CEO's earn what - an average of something or money - an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers: nonsensical. {YES/NO}
Idiom : X times more pay than Y , should be X times of Y {YES/NO}
Modifier : blue-collar workers, compared to blah blah... compared is a ed-modifier modifying workers: wrong {YES/NO}

that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times.
Meaning : a ratio that compares to 42 times; ratio 419:1 compares to 42:1 of 1980 .... compares what ? incomplete meaning. {YES/NO}

that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio.
Modifier : the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared .... the pay of xx, as compared to workers pay compared is modifying the pay and this modification is acceptable thus here it is fine.
Absolute phrase : The ratio in 1980 someway modifies the proceeding modifier's object 42:1 in 1980.
Correct sentence.

CEO's who now earn on average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio.
Meaning : A recent review of pay scales indicates NOUN CEO's : wrong
Meaning : CEO's who earn , limiting the scope of meaning to CEO's who earn earn blah blah... original meaning covers all CEO's in GENERAL. {YES/NO}
Meaning : who now earn on average of something or money - an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers: nonsensical. {YES/NO}
Modifier : than blue-collar workers, compared to blah blah... compared is a ed-modifier modifying workers: wrong {YES/NO}

CEO's now (modifier) earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times
Meaning : A recent review of pay scales indicates NOUN CEO's : wrong
Meaning : earning an average of something or money - an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers: nonsensical. {YES/NO}
Modifier: the pay ..., compared (OK) but comparison is not right 419 times the pay != the ratio of 42 times
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Anyone chose answer E for this question. IMO the 1st phrase is clearly written "CEO's earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue collar workers" + the 2nd phrase functioned rightly "compared to the ratio of specific number"

I could not even detect the grammatical error in answer E, can anyone help me on this?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
C says the exact same thing as B about the relationship between current CEO and employee pay, so there's no reason to pick one over the other on that basis. However, B goes on to say that this ratio "compares to 42 times in 1980." This isn't clear at all. What does it mean that the ratio compares to something? What are the 42 times?

C clears this up by making a comparison between the current ratio (419:1) and the 1980 ratio (42:1). There's no pronoun ambiguity, since CEO's could never have earned 42 times their own pay!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [3]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Kudos
Dear mikemcgarry, GMATNinja, sayantanc2k

this question has been discussed many times, but I still need your help to clarify " 's", although it is not the key approach, it does confuse me a lot , therefore I wasted a lot of time to check the construction of the answer choice.
at first I thought "earn" is verb in the clause, but later, I don't think so. i have no idea that " 's" is possessive or abbreviation of " is "
C version:
that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
if " 's" is possessive, then i think "earn" is noun, so i can't find the verb,
If " 's" is abbreviation of " is", then choice C is illogical, because CEO cannot be earn,
If "earn" is a verb, then why is "CEO's" , not "CEOs"

because I sunk into this confusion, i waste a lot of time.

Genuinely need your help.
Thanks in advance
Have a nice day.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3378 [4]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A, B, and E: 42 times in 1980
“42 times WHAT VALUE in 1980”?
Eliminate A, B and E.
D: “A recent review indicates CEO's”
Not the intended meaning: the review doesn't indicate the CEO'S THEMSELVES.
Rather, the review indicates an ACTION, as conveyed by the OA:
“that, on average, CEO’s now EARN 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers”.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is C.
“as compared to” conveys essentially the same meaning as “in contrast to”.
The meaning conveyed by the OA is as follows:
“419 times the pay of blue-collar workers is IN CONTRAST TO 42 times their pay, the ratio in 1980.”
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
hbs2012 wrote:
A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1990.

A. that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times

B. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times.

C. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio

D. CEo's who now earn on average 419 time more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio

E. CEO's now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times

Reached answer using POE .

A. that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
The highlighted phrase is constructed wrongly here. 42 times what ?

B. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times.
Same as in A

C. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
modifier used here is correct.

D. CEo's who now earn on average 419 time more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
'that' is required

E. CEO's now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times
'that' is required. Modifier is wrong.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [9]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos