It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Posts: 247

Kudos [?]: 404 [1], given: 22

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2012, 03:29
1
This post received
KUDOS
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

66% (02:33) correct 34% (02:13) wrong based on 248 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals
sold in our company's restaurants was much
higher than it was the year be{bre. Obviously
consumers find our meals desirable.

Accountant: Ifyou look at individual restaurants,
however, you find that the number of meals
sold actually decreased substantially at every
one of our restaurants that was in operation
both last year and the year before, The
desirability of our meals to consumers has
clearly decreased, given that this group of
restaurants-the only ones for which we have
sales figures that permit a comparison between
last year and the year before-demonstrates a
trend toward ferver sales.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously
calls into question the accountant's argument?
a) The company's restaurants last year dropped
from their menus most of the new dishes that
had been introduced the year before.
b) Prior to last year there was an overall
downward trend in the company's sales.
c) Those of the company's restaurants that did
increase their sales last year did not offer large
discounts on prices to attract customers.
d) Sales of the company's most expensive meal
contributed little to the overall two-year sales
increase.
e) Most of the company's restaurants that were in
operation throughout both last year and the
year before are located in areas where
residents experienced a severe overall decline
in income last year,

I want to discuss the pattern of this question type.
to weaken we generally we find alternate reason for the conclusion.but here right answer is based on the alternate reason for the premise- decrease in sales-

Pls explain
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Kudos [?]: 404 [1], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: May The Force Be With Me (D-DAY 15 May 2012)
Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 272

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 16

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Reviews Badge
Re: Pattern recognition [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2012, 03:40
Hi,

Can someone explain this reasoning?

I cant understand how the premise is weakened if the restaraunts were located in a area where the income of the people declined.

Understandable that the no of meals would go down as disposable income would not be available to those residents but you could have an increase in out of town / area people who balance this decrease in number of meals served or generate even higher sales.
_________________

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 16

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Posts: 247

Kudos [?]: 404 [1], given: 22

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Pattern recognition [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2012, 05:47
1
This post received
KUDOS
boomtangboy wrote:
Hi,

Can someone explain this reasoning?

I cant understand how the premise is weakened if the restaraunts were located in a area where the income of the people declined.

Understandable that the no of meals would go down as disposable income would not be available to those residents but you could have an increase in out of town / area people who balance this decrease in number of meals served or generate even higher sales.


people out of town will be out of scope.
Conclusion : no of meals will decrease
Premise : decrease in sales.
_________________

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Kudos [?]: 404 [1], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: May The Force Be With Me (D-DAY 15 May 2012)
Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 272

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 16

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Reviews Badge
Re: Pattern recognition [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2012, 09:21
GMATD11 wrote:
boomtangboy wrote:
Hi,

Can someone explain this reasoning?

I cant understand how the premise is weakened if the restaraunts were located in a area where the income of the people declined.

Understandable that the no of meals would go down as disposable income would not be available to those residents but you could have an increase in out of town / area people who balance this decrease in number of meals served or generate even higher sales.


people out of town will be out of scope.
Conclusion : no of meals will decrease
Premise : decrease in sales.


Hi,

Thanks !!! Ya I kinda rushed through the question & forgot the out of scope clause the GMAT throws in. Nice question :-D
_________________

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 16

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Employed
Joined: 17 Nov 2011
Posts: 98

Kudos [?]: 165 [2], given: 10

Location: Pakistan
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Re: Pattern recognition [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2012, 21:02
2
This post received
KUDOS
The answer should be E. Here is how.

The conclusion to the argument by the Sales Manager is that "Desirability of meals has increased".
Accountant concludes that "Desirability has decreased" because the number of meals sold at certain restaurants has decreased.

Now you have to see that the accountant is referring to a "particular" group of restaurants, he is not talking about the overall sales.
He is only talking about restaurants that have been open for two years. The cumulative "number of meals" from all restaurants (including the ones that just opened or opened last year are higher, we already know that from the Sales Manager's contribution to the argument). Now the accountant says that desirability has decreased based on numbers from restaurants that have been open for at-least 2 years. So in order to override his argument we need to find a reason to establish that the low sales in these restaurants are not attributed to "desirability" but "something else is responsible for the low sales (for this particular group of restaurants)".

E. Most of the company's restaurants that were in
operation throughout both last year and the
year before are located in areas where
residents experienced a severe overall decline
in income last year
.

Option E does just this, it takes the blame off of desirability and puts it on the lack of disposable income.
_________________

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

Kudos [?]: 165 [2], given: 10

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10105

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 05:35
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 897

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 865

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 20:48
this question is interesting because it is a mix question of weaken and logic-responding question.
the argument structure can still be found.
the shift of scope is "the year and the year before" from "restaurants whose sales decreased."

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 865

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 59

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 13

Re: Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 23:32
1
This post received
KUDOS
Imo

E is correct because even though the incomes of customers was down, they opted to go to restaurants. Obviously their desire to go there, may be because of the quality, taste,etc.. has driven the restaurants to be in business.

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 13

Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 897

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 865

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 11:42
omerrauf wrote:
The answer should be E. Here is how.

The conclusion to the argument by the Sales Manager is that "Desirability of meals has increased".
Accountant concludes that "Desirability has decreased" because the number of meals sold at certain restaurants has decreased.

Now you have to see that the accountant is referring to a "particular" group of restaurants, he is not talking about the overall sales.
He is only talking about restaurants that have been open for two years. The cumulative "number of meals" from all restaurants (including the ones that just opened or opened last year are higher, we already know that from the Sales Manager's contribution to the argument). Now the accountant says that desirability has decreased based on numbers from restaurants that have been open for at-least 2 years. So in order to override his argument we need to find a reason to establish that the low sales in these restaurants are not attributed to "desirability" but "something else is responsible for the low sales (for this particular group of restaurants)".

E. Most of the company's restaurants that were in
operation throughout both last year and the
year before are located in areas where
residents experienced a severe overall decline
in income last year
.

Option E does just this, it takes the blame off of desirability and puts it on the lack of disposable income.


All of what you said is correct, I want to add more something.
First, the question is quite long and it has many confusing details, and so do options.
Secondly, B,C,D are out of scope. => A is wrong b/c A only talks about last year, and new dishes have nothing to do with desirable meals.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 865

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Mar 2017
Posts: 40

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Location: Zimbabwe
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 17:29
Once you summarise the conclusion of a CR question, especially for weaken/strenghten or assumption questions, they find the correct answer is made relatively easy.

In this one, the conclusion is that the desirability of meals has decreased because sales have decreased. Cause and effect. To weaken this, we need to find another reason why sales have decreased. Answer E provides this.
_________________

Kudos if you like my response please

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Re: Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2017, 17:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.