GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Sep 2019, 18:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in our company

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
Reviews Badge
Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in our company  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Aug 2019, 21:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

79% (01:54) correct 21% (02:20) wrong based on 184 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in our company restaurants was much higher than it was the year before. Obviously, consumers find our meals desirable.
Accountant: If you look at individual restaurants, however, you find that the number of meals sold actually decreased substantially at every one of our restaurants that was in operation both last year and the year before. The desirability of our meals to consumers has clearly decreased, given that this group of restaurants---the only ones for which we have sales figures that permit a comparison between last year and the year before---demonstrates a trend toward fewer sales.

If the sales figures cited by the accountant and the sales manager are both accurate, which one of the following must be true?

(A) The company opened at least one new restaurant in the last two years.
(B) The company's meals are less competitive than they once were.
(C) The quality of the company's meals has not improved over the last two years.
(D) The prices of the company's meals have changed over the past two years.
(E) The market share captured by the company's restaurants fell last year.

Originally posted by vikasp99 on 16 Feb 2017, 17:09.
Last edited by gmat1393 on 24 Aug 2019, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted
Director
Director
P
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in our company  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 11:17
Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in our company restaurants was much higher than it was the year before. Obviously consumers find our meals desirable.
Accountant: If you look at individual restaurants, however, you find that the number of meals sold actually decreased substantially at every one of our restaurants that was in operation both last year and the year before. The desirability of our meals to consumers has clearly decreased, given that this group of restaurants---the only ones for which we have sales figures that permit a comparison between last year and the year before---demonstrates a trend toward fewer sales.

If the sales figures cited by the accountant and the sales manager are both accurate, which one of the following must be true?

(A) The company opened at least one new restaurant in the last two years.
(B) The company’s meals are less competitive than they once were.
(C) The quality of the company’s meals has not improved over the last two years.
(D) The prices of the company’s meals have changed over the past two years.
(E) The market share captured by the company’s restaurants fell last year.

The argument does not speak about Competition or Quaility or prices or market share. Option B,C,D and E are clearly out Option A is correct because as the company observes that the sales decrease year by year and only this restaurant has the sales greater then the other restaurantes that means that the restaurant is new and will see the decrease in the sales next year onwards.
Current Student
B
GPA: 3.37
Re: Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in our company  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 17:15
If the number of meals sold increased, but each of the stores that were open LY and TY (comp stores) sold less meals then new stores must've opened. Because we dont know any relative numbers we know at least one store must've opened in order for both statements to be true.
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 06:19
Sales Manager is saying the total number of meals increased. ==> They find it desirable.

Accountant is saying: Every operating restaurant saw a decrease in number of meals.

==> There must be more operating restaurants last year than the year before.

(A) The company opened at least one new restaurant in the last two years. : Correct. Same as we thought.
(B) The company’s meals are less competitive than they once were. OFS. No relation to what has been said.
(C) The quality of the company’s meals has not improved over the last two years. Quality is also OFS.
(D) The prices of the company’s meals have changed over the past two years. Price is also OFS as we are talking about the quantity.
(E) The market share captured by the company’s restaurants fell last year. Market Share is irrelevant.
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 04:15
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in our company   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2019, 04:15

Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in our company

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics