It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 19:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sales of wines declines in the late 1980s, but they began to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3652 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s, but they began to grow agai [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 15:22
warrioroflight wrote:
Please help me to identify clauses and subject verb in the question stem.
Please review below:
Sales- Subject
of wines- prepositional phrase
declined- verb
in the late 1980s- prepositional phrase
Sales......1980s- this is IC
IC, but IC- after but we need an independent clause

After but- 'they' refers to sales- they is subject?
began- Is this verb here?
to grow- is not a verb
again...1991 report - prepositional phrase
that- Subject?
linked- verb?

Please confirm

After but- 'they' refers to sales- they is subject?... yes - it is the subject of the second IC.
began- Is this verb here?.... yes - it is the verb of the second IC.
to grow- is not a verb
again...1991 report - prepositional phrase
that- Subject?.... yes - it is the subject of the relative clause "that linked moderate consumption ... reduced risk of heart disease."
linked- verb?... yes - it is the verb of the above-mentioned relative clause.

Kudos [?]: 3652 [0], given: 22

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1074 [0], given: 90

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s, but they began to grow agai [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 21:50
Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s, but they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease.

A)they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease- Correct
B)after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again - Modifier " moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, ..." is incorrect - "(particularly) red wine" is not an example of "alcohol consumption". note that it's an example of alcohol itself, but not an example of alcohol consumption.
C)in a 1991 report, moderate alcohol consumption, and particularly of red wine, which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, caused them to begin to grow again-
moderate alcohol consumption did not grow in the 1991 report
D)with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report with moderate alcohol consumption, in particular red wine, they began growing again- Modifier in particular red wine does not modify anything . Red wine is not a type of alcohol consumption but is an alcohol
E)a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption in a 1991 report, and in particular red wine, started them growing again - in particular red wine isn't parallel to anything . If we remove the modifier a reduced ... report, we get a nonsensical sentence

Answer A

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1074 [0], given: 90

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 23:08
MY CHOICE A

MODERATE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION IS LOGICAL

THAT OF RED WINE

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 18

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 19:53
Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s, but they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease.

A)they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease
B)after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again
C)in a 1991 report, moderate alcohol consumption, and particularly of red wine, which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, caused them to begin to grow again
D)with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report with moderate alcohol consumption, in particular red wine, they began growing again
E)a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption in a 1991 report, and in particular red wine, started them growing again

The first sentence is correct because 'they' refer to the sales while in the first sentence we can specifically identify that they is referring to the sales and in the other sentences the word they can be referring to any of the many nouns present in the sentence.

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 18

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 136

Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 03:25
daagh wrote:
(A) they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease-------- perfect foil

(B) after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again --------The absence of the preposition turns the red wine without proper link to the mainstream; In addition, the placement of the reduced risk before the moderate consumption blurs the sequence of cause and effect.

(C) in a 1991 report, moderate alcohol consumption, and particularly of red wine, which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, caused them to begin to grow again --- moderate consumption caused them to begin to grow again— distorted meaning

(D) with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report with moderate alcohol consumption, in particular red wine, they began growing again ---- The reduced risk seems to be linked with moderate consumption only in the report. In addition, the improper sequence of cause and effect is a problem.

E. a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption in a 1991 report, and in particular red wine, started them growing again----The reduced risk seems to have started them growing again; wrong meaning

The original is the best bet

Hi Daag Sir,

I had a severe confusion between A and B and was not able to make a choice. I was not fully able to support option A as a correct sentence because of the below reason,

Analyzing the meaning of the sentence in 1991 report the 'moderate consumption of alcohol' was linked with 'a reduced risk of heart disease'. The 'Consumption of Red wine' was a modifier and bear an example of particular type of alcohol consumption. So why this 'AND' required here? Is not it an incorrect sentence which OG is asking us to choose over other incorrect sentences?

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 136

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 06:04
I3igDmsu wrote:

A)they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease
B)after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again
C)in a 1991 report, moderate alcohol consumption, and particularly of red wine, which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, caused them to begin to grow again
D)with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report with moderate alcohol consumption, in particular red wine, they began growing again
E)a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption in a 1991 report, and in particular red wine, started them growing again

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA:A, please explain differences.. B looks ok

A Correct
B "Red wine" is not an example of "alcohol consumption."
C "Which" modifies "[consumption] of red wine," but the report linked "moderate consumption of alcohol" with the "reduced risk."
D "Red wine" is not an example of "alcohol consumption."
E "Red wine" is not an example of "alcohol consumption."

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s, but they began to grow agai [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 06:04
This topic have been merged with: http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic-79438.html

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Sales of wines declines in the late 1980s, but they began to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 06:47

(A) they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease

(B) after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again
--> red wine is not as the same type as consumption --> using noun modifier red wine to modify consumption is incorrect.

(C) in a 1991 report, moderate alcohol consumption, and particularly of red wine, which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, caused them to begin to grow again

(D) with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report with moderate alcohol consumption, in particular red wine, they began growing again

(E) a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption in a 1991 report, and in particular red wine, started them growing again[/quote]

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 165

Concentration: Marketing, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q43 V31
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 11:23
Even though I got the right answer, want to understand proper explanation from an expert.

"The fool didn't know it was impossible, so he did it."

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 165

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 1265 [0], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 16:18
sam2016, can you clarify what you'd like help on? The problem has been discussed pretty thoroughly, and the OA is correct, but I'm happy to elaborate on anything that's still bothering you.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1265 [0], given: 30

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 31

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 07:01
I don't understand why 'and' is present in option A.
I think without the 'and' the sentence would be correct, that's why I eliminated it.
What am I missing here?

A kudo a day keeps the doctor away.

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9453 [0], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 13:01
DIII wrote:
I think without the 'and' the sentence would be correct, that's why I eliminated it.
What am I missing here?

Hello DIII,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The reason we see and in the correct answer choice is that there is a list in the sentence. The parallel elements in the list are of alcohol and (particularly) of red wine.

Please note that particular;y is just a modifier associated with the core parallel element of red wine. Such modifiers of the core parallel elements do not affect the parallelism. As long as the core parallel elements are grammatically and logically correct, they make a perfect list.

Since every list has a connector, this one has too - and.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9453 [0], given: 348

Manager
Manager
S

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member CAT Tests
Sales of wines declines in the late 1980s, but they began to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 18:56
egmat wrote:
DIII wrote:
What am I missing here?

Hello DIII,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The reason we see and in the correct answer choice is that there is a list in the sentence. The parallel elements in the list are of alcohol and (particularly) of red wine.

Please note that particular;y is just a modifier associated with the core parallel element of red wine. Such modifiers of the core parallel elements do not affect the parallelism. As long as the core parallel elements are grammatically and logically correct, they make a perfect list.

Since every list has a connector, this one has too - and.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

I think I was confused about the parallelism because red wine is type of alcohol so I though it can't be parallel to alcohol.
Thank you, now I understand but will the sentence be correct without the 'and', making the statement "particularly of red wine" a non-essential modifier?

A kudo a day keeps the doctor away.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 31

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 01:28
Hi experts,
I am confused that "and particularly of red wine" modifies the "consumption of alcohol" or is an event which parallels to the "consumption of alcohol"?

Please help clarify

thanks in advance

Have a nice day
>_~

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 31

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 03:02
can someone please help me with this. At first i thought option A is incorrect since it uses and the conjunction meaning that the report linked the moderate alcohol consumption and the red wine to be a associated with the reduced risk of heart attack. can someone please help me with this . Thanks in advance

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 18:55
Need expert Advice. Can someone please explain why option B is incorrect.mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo

Re: Sales of wines declines in the late 1980s, but they began to   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2017, 18:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 56 posts ] 

Sales of wines declines in the late 1980s, but they began to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap