Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2293 [311]
Given Kudos: 6
 V25
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [52]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3825 [13]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [6]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.

(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them
(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are
(C) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of who are
(D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers, many of which
(E) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many are

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Pronouns + Grammatical Construction + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• “who” is used to refer to a subject and “whom” is used to refer to an object.
• The pronoun “which” cannot be used to refer to a human being.
• Semicolons and the “comma + conjunction” construction are used to link two independent clauses; commas are used to link an independent clause with a dependent one; comma cannot be used to join two independent clauses.

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the singular noun "patchwork" with the singular verb "bustles" and to the plural noun "fields" with the plural verb "surround". Further, Option A correctly refers to the noun "farm workers" with the pronoun "them" - a pronoun that can be used to refer to human beings. Additionally, Option A correctly uses a comma to link the independent clause "the patchwork...bustles with farm workers" and the dependent clause "many of them in the area just for the season". Besides, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: Trap. This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "fields" with the singular verb "surrounds". Further, Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrase "many of whom are", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses "who" to refer to the object of the sentence - "farm workers"; “who” is used to refer to a subject and “whom” is used to refer to an object.

D: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "patchwork" with the plural verb "bustle". Further, Option D incorrectly refers to "farm workers" with "which"; remember, the pronoun “which” cannot be used to refer to a human being.

E: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "fields" with the singular verb "surrounds". Further, Option E incorrectly uses a comma to link the independent clauses "the patchwork...bustles with farm workers" and "many are...in the area just for the season"; remember, semicolons and the “comma + conjunction” construction are used to link two independent clauses; commas are used to link an independent clause with a dependent one; comma cannot be used to join two independent clauses.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the use of punctuation on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1622 [9]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
It is A because its green fields that surround the valley and patchwork bustles with farmworkers.
I'd got it wrong I too and had looked up the reason at that time.

pierrealexandre77, I'd used https://thousandsc.blogspot.com
Well organized
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3223 [5]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The subject is not "patchwork".

The word "that" suggests that the subject is "green fields" (plural) and hence the verb should be "sorround" (plural).....It is the green fields that sorround not patchwork......

patchwork of green fields (singular).......bustles (singular).......

That leaves A, C and D

C has...."many of who"....who refers to an individual...in the sentence it is "farm workers" (plural)

D has..."many of which"....which refers to a thing not to people.

That leaves only (A)

In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.

(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them
(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are
(C) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of who are
(D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers, many of which
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Kudos
Isnt "of .." the middle man here, which can be eliminated.

Hence bustles describes patchwork and surround should go with greenfields.

379. In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.
Eliminate of
In good years, the patchwork {eliminate middleman} bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.
Thus surround describes green fields.

Hence the right choice would be A
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [45]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey All,

This is a very bizarre question, and I'm afraid I have to disagree with everyone who's saying the answer is "obviously" A. I see nothing wrong with B (which makes this problematic as an official answer). Also, there are serious problems with GMAT Tiger's explanation, which many people have been describing as sensible.

He wrote:

A is correct. "That" in the sentence refers to "green fields", which is plural and so does "that" too. [What in the world does this mean? How can something "do 'that'"?

When "that" is plural, the verb that follows "that" should be also plural (surround), which is only in A and D. [THAT is a relative pronoun, and has no plurality. There is no such thing as a singular or plural "that".

"many of them" is better than "many of whom". -- [This is NOT true. "Them" is a subject pronoun and "whom" is an object pronoun. They have totally different uses. In fact, our ears prefer "them", so GMAT will often encourage you towards "whom".]

OKAY! Now that we've dealt with that bit of confusion, we can look at the question.

PROBLEM: The writing of this sentence makes it impossible to work out what the subject of surrounds is. It could be fields (because relative pronouns like "that" typically modify whatever they touch), but it could also be patchwork (because "of green fields" is a modifier, just as we could say the King of Spades IS a good card). This sentence is extra confusing because "surround" and "bustle" are both verbs. The A folks in the room seem to want to argue that the "fields" surround the valley, but the "patchwork" bustles. But why? The same subject could just as easily do both.

CORRECT: Whom is correct here, because we need the object of a preposition ("of"). I prefer this answer myself, but I see no actual reason to cross it off.

PROBLEM: You can't say "many of who", you need an object pronoun to be the object of the preposition "of".

PROBLEM: This verb arrangement is odd, as is "many of which". We prefer who/whom for people.

PROBLEM: This starts a new sentence after the comma, which isn't allowed.

Hope that helps, and I'm definitely up for argument! : )

-tommy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: masters in finance
 Q50  V48
GPA: ok this is the sad part
Send PM
Kudos
doesnt 'that' make the object of preposition the subject of the next clause?

Discrimination in wages paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have given rise to substantial differentials between the wage of housepainters and secretaries and between the wages of parking-lot attendants and library assistants.

in the example above though the subject is 'disrimination', 'that' makes 'occupations' the subject of the next clause.

PS: i have seen dimilar instances that i am not able to find with preposition 'of' also. please explain
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM