It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 07:14

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Prevent and prepare. Not repent and repair!!
Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Posts: 248

Kudos [?]: 137 [4], given: 282

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2013, 03:43
4
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:07) correct 30% (00:57) wrong based on 313 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most effective digital marketing employees because they are more likely to use social networking websites and tools themselves.

Carlos: But effective digital marketing also requires very technical expertise, such as search engine optimization, that is best learned on the job via prolonged exposure and instruction.

Carlos responds to Sania by

(A) demonstrating that Sania's conclusion is based upon evidence that is not relevant to the given situation
(B) questioning the accuracy of the evidence presented by Sania in support of her conclusion
(C) reinforcing Sania's argument by contributing an additional piece of evidence in support of her conclusion
(D) pointing out differences in the qualifications desired by different employers seeking digital marketing employees
(E) providing an additional piece of evidence that undermines a portion of Sania's claim

Type : Describe the Argument
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+


Last edited by rajathpanta on 05 Jan 2013, 06:30, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 137 [4], given: 282

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2012
Posts: 110

Kudos [?]: 75 [4], given: 90

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2013, 04:32
4
This post received
KUDOS
My answer would be E)

Sania's conclusion: The newest workers in the workforce are the most effective digital marketing
employees
Premise: they are more likely to use social networking websites
and tools themselves. weak support /evidence as they may not have experience in digital marketing techniques the do's and dont's.

Carlos provides a a strong evidence which undermines Sania's conclusion.

Elimination: C is clearly eliminated as she does not "reinforce" Sania's conclusion
D is not very relevant as qualification sought by employers is not the topic

E is best option among the remaining.

(B) questioning the accuracy of the evidence presented by Sania in support of
her conclusion ------ She doesnt question her evidence directly.

(A) demonstrating that Sania's conclusion is based upon evidence that is not
relevant to the given situation ----- She doesnt say directly state that Sania/s conclusion is based on irrelevant evidence. Carlos uses "but...also... " and goes on giving strong evidence which undermines Sania's weak evidence. Hence E.

Kudos.. if u like!!!!
_________________

Impossibility is a relative concept!!

Kudos [?]: 75 [4], given: 90

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1375

Kudos [?]: 1721 [0], given: 62

Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2013, 04:54
rajathpanta wrote:
Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most effective digital marketing
employees because they are more likely to use social networking websites
and tools themselves.

Carlos: But effective digital marketing also requires very technical expertise, such
as search engine optimization, that is best learned on the job via prolonged exposure
and instruction.

Carlos responds to Sania by

(A) demonstrating that Sania's conclusion is based upon evidence that is not
relevant to the given situation

(B) questioning the accuracy of the evidence presented by Sania in support of
her conclusion

(C) reinforcing Sania's argument by contributing an additional piece of evidence
in support of her conclusion

(D) pointing out differences in the qualifications desired by different employers
seeking digital marketing employees

(E) providing an additional piece of evidence that undermines a portion of Sania's claim

OA... after some discussions


I shall rather choose B. May be I am wrong but based on prephasing the purpose of the two statements, I feel B is the correct choice.
Here is my take.
Sania makes two statements here:
i)The newest members of the workforce are the most effective in digital marketing.
ii)It is so because these members are more likely to use social networking websites and tools themselves.

Okay while making the first statement Sania assumes that using facebook and tools themselves makes the members the most effective.

Now Carlos introduces a piece of information. Notice the use of BUT.
Carlos implies that what Sania assumes the ONLY cause is not actually the only cause. He then introduces another factor, which in addition to the Sania's assumption makes a member effective. "BUT" here doesn't undermines anything.

So in other words Carlos has questioned the accuracy of the evidence presented by Sania in support of her evidence.
+1B
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Kudos [?]: 1721 [0], given: 62

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Prevent and prepare. Not repent and repair!!
Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Posts: 248

Kudos [?]: 137 [3], given: 282

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2013, 05:04
3
This post received
KUDOS
Marcab wrote:
rajathpanta wrote:
Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most effective digital marketing
employees because they are more likely to use social networking websites
and tools themselves.

Carlos: But effective digital marketing also requires very technical expertise, such
as search engine optimization, that is best learned on the job via prolonged exposure
and instruction.

Carlos responds to Sania by

(A) demonstrating that Sania's conclusion is based upon evidence that is not
relevant to the given situation

(B) questioning the accuracy of the evidence presented by Sania in support of
her conclusion

(C) reinforcing Sania's argument by contributing an additional piece of evidence
in support of her conclusion

(D) pointing out differences in the qualifications desired by different employers
seeking digital marketing employees

(E) providing an additional piece of evidence that undermines a portion of Sania's claim

OA... after some discussions


I shall rather choose B. May be I am wrong but based on prephasing the purpose of the two statements, I feel B is the correct choice.
Here is my take.
Sania makes two statements here:
i)The newest members of the workforce are the most effective in digital marketing.
ii)It is so because these members are more likely to use social networking websites and tools themselves.

Okay while making the first statement Sania assumes that using facebook and tools themselves makes the members the most effective.

Now Carlos introduces a piece of information. Notice the use of BUT.
Carlos implies that what Sania assumes the ONLY cause is not actually the only cause. He then introduces another factor, which in addition to the Sania's assumption makes a member effective. "BUT" here doesn't undermines anything.

So in other words Carlos has questioned the accuracy of the evidence presented by Sania in support of her evidence.
+1B


In B the word 'accuracy' made this option skeptical for me. Carlos is not questioning the accuracy here.HE just adds on by telling 'digital marketing also requires'.
_________________

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Kudos [?]: 137 [3], given: 282

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1375

Kudos [?]: 1721 [0], given: 62

Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2013, 05:13
But if he doesn't questions the accuracy then whats the purpose of introducing the context of technical expertise?
Doesn't he tends to imply that Sania missed something while making the assumption and hence she may be wrong? Also what is the portion of Sania's claims that is being undermined?
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Kudos [?]: 1721 [0], given: 62

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Prevent and prepare. Not repent and repair!!
Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Posts: 248

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 282

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2013, 05:27
IT undermines the statement that the newest workers are 'most' effective DM employees. I do not see a correlation between technical expertise and accuracy. Infact Carlos is trying to add on telling Sania to consider his evidence
_________________

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 282

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2012
Posts: 110

Kudos [?]: 75 [2], given: 90

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2013, 06:08
2
This post received
KUDOS
A more technical answer in favour of E

Sania says "the most effective digital marketing
employees"and gives one evidence/reaason. SInce she says most effective, she is assuming that her evidence:
---they are more likely to use social networking websites
and tools themselves.--- is the only reason/requirement to be most effective in digital marketing.

Carlos gives another important reason/evidence that needs to be considered and that is a strong evidence/reason.

Sania uses cause-effect line of reasoning giving one evidence to be the cause and believes it to be the only cause as she mentions ...
becasue of her evidence.. the new employees are "most effective". Carlos produces a different strong evidence as a requirement which weakens
Sania's line of reasoning. Hence E.

Kudos plz... if u like ...
_________________

Impossibility is a relative concept!!

Kudos [?]: 75 [2], given: 90

3 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3421

Kudos [?]: 9488 [3], given: 1203

Re: Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2013, 06:25
3
This post received
KUDOS
rajathpanta wrote:
Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most effective digital marketing
employees because they are more likely to use social networking websites
and tools themselves.

Carlos: But effective digital marketing also requires very technical expertise, such
as search engine optimization, that is best learned on the job via prolonged exposure
and instruction.

Carlos responds to Sania by

(A) demonstrating that Sania's conclusion is based upon evidence that is not
relevant to the given situation

(B) questioning the accuracy of the evidence presented by Sania in support of
her conclusion

(C) reinforcing Sania's argument by contributing an additional piece of evidence
in support of her conclusion

(D) pointing out differences in the qualifications desired by different employers
seeking digital marketing employees

(E) providing an additional piece of evidence that undermines a portion of Sania's claim

OA... after some discussions



take away from this question (the most difficult for me on the entire CR section when we have presented 2 arguments by two people) what is important is ALWAYS reflect very carefully on EACH word in the part of the stimulus that go against or in favour of the other one.

As such,

A is wrong because it says that eveidence that are not relavant to the give situation.....BUT we are talking about just this argument. what are we talking about, otherwise ?'

B here we have \(BUT\) a contrast word; moreover, \(ALSO\) \(requires\) so Carlos add something in no way he is questioning the accurancy

C and D with\(reinforcing\) and \(pointing out differences\) nothing true

E must be the answer for the reasons that I have highlighted in B. Carlos in other words, add something to the argument.

Please provide OA

Thanks
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9488 [3], given: 1203

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3421

Kudos [?]: 9488 [1], given: 1203

Re: Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2013, 06:32
1
This post received
KUDOS
PS: In my opinion I disagree that question is an easy one, NEVER understimate even the most ridiculous question on the GMAT. Whenever you think: a-ah it is easy......80 % of time you picked it wrong.

Always attack a question as it is the last question of the test, better, the question from which depends you entire exam
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9488 [1], given: 1203

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Prevent and prepare. Not repent and repair!!
Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Posts: 248

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 282

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2013, 10:08
carcass wrote:
PS: In my opinion I disagree that question is an easy one, NEVER understimate even the most ridiculous question on the GMAT. Whenever you think: a-ah it is easy......80 % of time you picked it wrong.

Always attack a question as it is the last question of the test, better, the question from which depends you entire exam


This question to me atleast falls in the 600-700 range.
_________________

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 282

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 May 2012
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 16

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Re: Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2013, 09:39
feels good when u correctly answer a 700+ difficulty question on solid grounds.. :)
good question and nice discussion.. +1 kudos

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 16

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10184

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2014, 23:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10184

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2016, 03:55
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Status: I Declare War!!!
Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 257

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 546

Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 10:35
Hi
Experts kindly differentiate between c. And. D please
Why it's saying undermine
Thanks

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 546

Senior SC Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 1254

Kudos [?]: 1363 [0], given: 440

Location: Malaysia
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 06:44
rajathpanta wrote:
Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most effective digital marketing employees because they are more likely to use social networking websites and tools themselves.

Carlos: But effective digital marketing also requires very technical expertise, such as search engine optimization, that is best learned on the job via prolonged exposure and instruction.

Carlos responds to Sania by

(A) demonstrating that Sania's conclusion is based upon evidence that is not relevant to the given situation
(B) questioning the accuracy of the evidence presented by Sania in support of her conclusion
(C) reinforcing Sania's argument by contributing an additional piece of evidence in support of her conclusion
(D) pointing out differences in the qualifications desired by different employers seeking digital marketing employees
(E) providing an additional piece of evidence that undermines a portion of Sania's claim

Type : Describe the Argument


Step 1: Identify the question.

The “two person” structure and the focus on how Carlos responds indicate that this is a Describe the Argument question.

Step 2: Deconstruct the argument.

Sania: new empl use soc nw → most eff dig mktg ©
Carlos But eff dig mktg needs tech expertise, best learned on job

Step 3: State the goal.

I need to articulate how Carlos responds to Sania. He doesn't say that she's wrong about the newest workers using social networking tools. Rather, he says that digital marketers also need this other skill that takes a long time to learn on the job. If that's the case, this weakens Sania's claim that the newest workers are the most effective.

Step 4: Work from wrong to right.

(A) Carlos doesn't say anything negative about Sania's evidence; rather, he introduces new evidence that attacks Sania's assumption that her piece of evidence is the most important thing to consider.
(B) This is similar to choice (A); Carlos doesn't question Sania's evidence
(C) Carlos does contribute an additional piece of evidence, but his new evidence hurts Sania's argument. Carlos DOESN'T support Sania's conclusion.
(D) Carlos does point out a different way to assess the effectiveness of digital marketing employees, but he doesn't mention employers at all or differences among different employers
(E) Bingo. This is exactly what Carlos does—a new piece of information that hurts the “newest workers” portion of Sania's claim
_________________

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1363 [0], given: 440

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 393

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 71

GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 07:57
Clearly the answer is E

Sania's conclusion is "The newest workers in the workforce are the most effective digital marketing employees"
and premise is "they are more likely to use social networking websites and tools themselves"

Carlos: uses But.. a counter premise indicator .. and therefore undermines the conclusion.
_________________

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 71

Re: Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2017, 07:57
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Sania: The newest workers in the workforce are the most

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.