GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Sartre believed each individual is responsible to choose one course of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Sartre believed each individual is responsible to choose one course of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Aug 2018, 01:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (00:55) correct 33% (01:11) wrong based on 264 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Sartre believed each individual is responsible to choose one course of action over another one, that it is the choice that gives value to the act, and that nothing that is not acted upon has value.

(A) each individual is responsible to choose one course of action over another one

(B) that each individual is responsible for choosing one course of action over another

(C) that each individual is responsible, choosing one course of action over another

(D) that each individual is responsible to choose one course of action over the other

(E) each individual is responsible for choosing one course of action over other ones

Originally posted by milind1979 on 05 Apr 2009, 04:31.
Last edited by Bunuel on 02 Aug 2018, 01:41, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Manager
Manager
Re: Sartre believed each individual is responsible to choose one course of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2009, 10:37
B , imo

it should be "responsible for" and there are more than two actions so "over another" should be used.
Manager
Manager
Re: Sartre believed each individual is responsible to choose one course of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2009, 08:49
that clause is needed.

responsible to is required when you are responsible to a subject.

responsible for is required when you are responsible for some action. We need you use responsible for here.

Therefore, IMO B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2009, 04:08
We need that after words like belief, propose so A,E out. Idiom ‘responsible for’ right. So its B,
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2009, 13:43
urchin wrote:
Sartre believed each individual is responsible to choose one course of action over another one, that it is the choice that gives value to the act, and that nothing that is not acted upon has value.
(A) each individual is responsible to choose one course of action over another one
(B)that each individual is responsible for choosing one course of action over another
(C) that each individual is responsible, choosing one course of action over another
(D) that each individual is responsible to choose one course of action over the other
(E) each individual is responsible for choosing one course of action over other ones

Irrespective of the correct answer, can someone please throw some light on what's the difference between A and B?

Responsible for is the correct idiom Hence D/E

he believed that

Govt mandated that

EPA requires that

Such words need that. Hence B/C/D

B is the only common
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2009, 23:57
'B'

need 'that', correct idiom - 'responsible for', remove redundant 'one' from 'another one'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2009, 00:18
believe shud have 'that'

and one over another is better than one over other...

we use other only when there are only 2 things..
when there are more than one things, use another..
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2009, 07:17
B. 'that' is needed and 'one' is redundant.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2010, 06:17
"that" is needed here for two reasons.
1. inclusion of "that" makes the first sentence clearer that Sartre is expressing his opinion about the individual rather that Sartre believing individuals.
2. inclusion of "that" makes the three that clauses parallel to each other.

so A and E are out.

C is a sentence fragment
between B and D, B is idiomatic as responsible for is a better choice, also one another in choice B looks better than one other.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2010, 10:53
Again picked wrong one today D .........agree "responsible for" is correct .....so it is B ........don't know what tempted me for "responsible to"....

"that" is necessary and "one" is redundant
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2010, 07:16
B it is.

"believed" requires "that"

"responsible for" is the correct idiom.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2010, 07:35
B ..

trust your ears .. he is responsible FOR ....."not sending the samples in time ",

FOR not sending the data .....etc etc
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2010, 07:37
IMO B...
"Responsible for" is the correct idiom..
Hence, you can refine your answers to B or E.
Believed that.. subjunctive mood.. Correct choice...

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2014, 11:39
I have a question here.. If we use "believed that", shouldnt the first part of the sentence read "Sartre believed each individual is responsible .... ". I mean, if we are expressing it in the past using believed that, shoulnt we use "was" instead of "is" ?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 490 Q41 V18
GMAT 2: 610 Q45 V28
GPA: 2.75
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 14:01
urchin wrote:
(B)that each individual is responsible for choosing one course of action over another

Irrespective of the correct answer, can someone please throw some light on what's the difference between A and B?

After reporing verb believe, we need to use "that". Cross of A and E
Responsible for is the correct idiom, Cross off C and D

B stays - 35 secs :D

Heading towards perfection>>

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 00:57
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Sartre believed each individual is responsible to choose one course of &nbs [#permalink] 02 Aug 2018, 00:57

Sartre believed each individual is responsible to choose one course of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap