GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 Apr 2018, 22:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If a song is played on the radio often,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT ToolKit User
If a song is played on the radio often, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 09:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:07) correct 58% (01:00) wrong based on 508 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If a song is played on the radio often, a practice favored by popular radio stations,it increases the chance that the singer will become famous.

(A) If a song is played on the radio often, a practice favored by popular radio stations, it
(B) If a song is played on the radio often, and favored by popular radio stations, it
(C) A practice favored by popular radio stations, a song played on the radio often,
(D) A song played on the radio often, a practice favored by popular radio stations,
(E) The playing of a song on the radio often, and a practice favored by popular radio stations,

I think I am missing something here , Please help to understand why OA is correct .

Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: If a song is played on the radio often, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 09:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I may have to disagree with the OA. ; A modifier cocooned within a parenthesis is additional info and can be dispensed with, not affecting the essence of the core sentence.
Let’s do that.

If a song is played on the radio often, a practice favored by popular radio stations, it increases the chance that the singer will become famous.

(A) If a song is played on the radio often,a practice favored by popular radio stations, it -- The ‘it’ has no referent. It cannot refer to the song, playing often increases the chance. Secondly, a present conditional will need a future tense for the main clause as the cause happens now and the effect happens in the future.

(B) If a song is played on the radio often, and favored by popular radio stations, it --- Same as in A. meaning is also that the song is favored rather than the practice is favored.

(C) A practice favored by popular radio stations, a song played on the radio often,--- meaning changed

(D) A song played on the radio often, a practice favored by popular radio stations, ----- This carries the intended meaning correctly. The best choice.

E. The playing of a song on the radio often, and a practice favored by popular radio stations, --- 1. SV error; 2. Meaning changed

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 09:50
Thanks for the reply daagh , I also rejected A,B for similar reason , but chose C because "a practice " is what increases the chances that the singer will be famous .While D says "a song " increases the chances . Is not C more logical than D ? .

Thanks
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 10:07
The meaning leans in favor of a song that is played often that increases the chance; In D, the sentence without the modifier is complete while in C a practice without the accompanying song being repeated isn't full-fledged. if C were to say-- A practice favored by popular radio stations of playing a song on the radio often-, that would be correct.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 03:59
I too picked D
Waiting for OE
A seems incorrect as it is ambigous
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '19 (II)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 04:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I think (A) is correct. The thing is, even if you remove the words between the two commas, you'll still need to keep ONE comma because of the "if". That's what we do even in normal situations with "if" and we shouldn't just mechanically remove both commas. If the preceeding sentence structure so requires, we should keep one comma.

(b) is incorrect because of "and" - we are not joining two independent clauses, nor are we creating a list
(c) is incorrect because of the comma at the end which makes it an incomplete sentence. Also, it distorts the meaning in the original - the frequent playing makes the artists popular, not the favoured practice or the song itself.
(d) invalid because a song is not a practice. you can't use one to describe the other in the appositive
(e) invalid for the same reason as (b)

If you like this post, be kind and help me with Kudos!

Cheers!

Current Student
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.89
WE: Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 10:07
A is correct-mostly cause the other ones are garbage and have multiple issues. I'm going to try and bust out some grammar speak to explain why A is correct but I might mangle it, so be kind.

If a song is played on the radio often, a practice favored by popular radio stations, it increases the chance that the singer will become famous.

In this case, "if a song is played on the radio often" is the subject that "it" refers to. Ask yourself what increases the chance that a singer will become famous -> if a song is played on the radio often.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 16:16
Hi,

If we think "played on radio often" as the modifier then The Song becomes the subject and after masking all the modifiers, the core sentence becomes something like this, which I am not sure if conveys the correct meaning. Please advice.

A song played on the radio often, a practice favored by popular radio stations, increases the chance that the singer will become famous.

daagh wrote:
I may have to disagree with the OA. ; A modifier cocooned within a parenthesis is additional info and can be dispensed with, not affecting the essence of the core sentence.
Let’s do that.

(A) If a song is played on the radio often,a practice favored by popular radio stations, it -- The ‘it’ has no referent. It cannot refer to the song, playing often increases the chance. Secondly, a present conditional will need a future tense for the main clause as the cause happens now and the effect happens in the future.

(B) If a song is played on the radio often, and favored by popular radio stations, it --- Same as in A. meaning is also that the song is favored rather than the practice is favored.

(C) A practice favored by popular radio stations, a song played on the radio often,--- meaning changed

(D) A song played on the radio often, a practice favored by popular radio stations, ----- This carries the intended meaning correctly. The best choice.

E. The playing of a song on the radio often, and a practice favored by popular radio stations, --- 1. SV error; 2. Meaning changed
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.89
WE: Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 16:35
This post received
KUDOS
neeraj609 wrote:
Hi,

If we think "played on radio often" as the modifier then The Song becomes the subject and after masking all the modifiers, the core sentence becomes something like this, which I am not sure if conveys the correct meaning. Please advice.

A song played on the radio often, a practice favored by popular radio stations, increases the chance that the singer will become famous.

daagh wrote:
Let’s do that.

I don't believe "a song" is the subject. "If" introduces a scenario and so the entire scenario becomes the subject. Hence, "it" refers to the entire first clause.

If [a scenario occurs] it increase the chances that [cause from scenario]. D introduces no condition and changes the meaning. Plus it is very awkward.
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 22:22
A song can increase smth - this is illogical.
the practice of playing the song often - increases the chance of the artist to become famous.
I say C is better worded, but only the first part...
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
P
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 16:13
This post received
KUDOS
mvictor wrote:
A song can increase smth - this is illogical.
the practice of playing the song often - increases the chance of the artist to become famous.
I say C is better worded, but only the first part...

well well well...after 1year+, i solved it in the same way...clearly it is a bad question for practice for the above mentioned reasons.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 10:19
In option A, the pronoun "it" is ruining the party.Go for D.

Posted from my mobile device
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 12:52
Agreed. 'D' should be the answer. There is no clear referent of it in the answer choice 'A'.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 09:55
If a song is played on the radio often, a practice favored by popular radio stations,it increases the chance that the singer will become famous.

(A) If a song is played on the radio often, a practice favored by popular radio stations, it
(B) If a song is played on the radio often, and favored by popular radio stations, it
(C) A practice favored by popular radio stations, a song played on the radio often,
(D) A song played on the radio often, a practice favored by popular radio stations,
(E) The playing of a song on the radio often, and a practice favored by popular radio stations,

Lets do the process of elimination

According to me option A seems correct and coherent with the remaining sentence therfore keeping it for now,
In B the meaning of the sentence is changed as originally by playing the song many times the radio stations are favouring the song but in B the song is played multiple times and is favoured seperatly as well so not correct.
In C the structure of the sentence is changed and the subject is now th practice that favours the songs increases the chances.In this the second phrase is not coherrent with the sentences therfore wrong.
in D the changes in meaning makes the choice eliminated as it means that just by playing a song on the radio often increases the chance of the singer to become famous. worng
In E the meaning of the sentence is changed here also as it means that playing of a song often and a practice together increases the chances of the singer to be popular is wrong.

So we are left with A which is correct

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 02:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here is my approach: modifiers :)

(A) If a song is played on the radio often, a practice favored by popular radio stations, it - Correct: noun modifier a practice correctly modifies the clause a song is played on the radio often

(B) If a song is played on the radio often, and favored by popular radio stations, it - to join two identities, we do not need comma before conjuntion and

(C) A practice favored by popular radio stations, a song played on the radio often, - here a song incorrectly modifies A practice. How can a practice could be a song!!!

(D) A song played on the radio often, a practice favored by popular radio stations, - same error as C

(E) The playing of a song on the radio often, and a practice favored by popular radio stations, - to join two identities, we do not need comma before conjuntion and. Furthermore, we need a singular noun instead of a coumpoud noun to make S + V agreement (increases).

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 03:14

answer is D
a practice favored by popular radio stations is a modifier if we remove sentence should make sense
If a song is played on the radio often increases the chance that the singer will become famous.
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 10:38
OA should be D.
1) "It" can refer only to noun but not the "action/verb" . So options A & B out.
Options C --"increases the chance that the singer will become famous" is result of "A song is played" but not "a practice....." --- So option C out.

Option E--Awkward construction and also verb is missing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 22:54
please can some expert confirm if OA is indeed correct.

- Stne

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 01:57
Can "it" refer to the noun and modifiers "a practice favored by..." in this case? btw it can sometimes refer to clauses too and not only nouns. E.g. It worries many doctors that many patients are obese. It in this case stands in for the "that" clause
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 11:14
stne wrote:
please can some expert confirm if OA is indeed correct.

I agree with daagh above -- this question is pretty suspect, and really doesn't sound like an official GMAT question to me. So unless somebody can confirm that this is a legit, official question, I wouldn't recommend spending any more of your time and energy on this one.

And just another friendly reminder: please please please always include the question source when you post in the verbal forum!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- Wednesdays, February 14 - April 4!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Re: If a song is played on the radio often,   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2017, 11:14

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

If a song is played on the radio often,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap