Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3891 [34]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [23]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 463 [1]
Send PM
Re: The first time that Larry walked down the ramp, laden with packages [#permalink]
Kudos
reply2spg wrote:
The first time that Larry walked down the ramp, laden with packages, he tripped and nearly dislocated his shoulder.

(A) Larry walked down the ramp, laden with packages,
(B) Larry walked, laden with packages, down the ramp
(C) Larry walked down the ramp, with laden packages,
(D) Larry, laden with packages, walked down the ramp
(E) Larry, laden with packages, had walked down the ramp,

D
A is incorrect since a ramp cannot be laden with packages.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 682 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: The first time that Larry walked down the ramp, laden with packages [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I too for D.
A should not be the answer reasons-
The first time that Larry walked down the ramp, laden with packages, he tripped and nearly dislocated his shoulder.
A says first time that larry walked..means that for the first time in the life larry walked..and another--ramp was loaded with packages..

E also should not the answer reasons-
The first time that Larry, laden with packages, had walked down the ramp,he tripped and nearly dislocated his shoulder.
Here we are using parallelism.. see the three actions happened one after another and almost similar..
walked down the ramp
he tripped
dislocated his shoulder
I guess if we can remove the part he tripped from the sentence..then one might argue for the past perfect ..had walked down the ramp..let me know if someone has other ideas on this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT Date: 07-04-2012
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi,

(A) Larry walked down the ramp, laden with packages,
(B) Larry walked, laden with packages, down the ramp
(C) Larry walked down the ramp, with laden packages,
(D) Larry, laden with packages, walked down the ramp
(E) Larry, laden with packages, had walked down the ramp,

I am not sure but I guess for 'D' to be a correct , a comma is required at the end of option D.............

and option A is written beautifully,correctly explaining the scenario and 'laden with packages' correctly modifying Larry..............

Please correct me if I am wrong !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT Date: 07-04-2012
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
arunmehta89 wrote:

I am not sure but I guess for 'D' to be a correct , a comma is required at the end of option D.............

and option A is written beautifully,correctly explaining the scenario and 'laden with packages' correctly modifying Larry..............

Hi Arun,

It is clear that you get the intended meaning of the sentence. You agree that “laden with packages” should modify “Larry”.

According to GMAT, the verb-ed modifier is a noun modifier that should be placed to the entity it modifies as close as possible. Generally, verb-ed modifiers modify the immediate preceding noun or noun phrase.

In this sentence, “laden” is a verb-ed modifier which is places next to ramp. Even if it separated from “ramp” by comma, “ramp” is the immediate preceding noun and per the GMAT, “laden” will modify “ramp”. But this is certainly not the intended meaning of the sentence. Hence, we must put “laden” close to Larry so that there is no modification error.

You can also read this post for the correct usage of verb-ed modifiers:
verb-ed-modifiers-vs-verb-ing-modifiers-125611.html?fl=similar

I do agree that in Choice D, we need a comma after “ramp”. However, placement of comma alone has never been the deterministic issue for eliminating an answer choice. GMAT exclusively does not test the correct placement of punctuations. Moreover, to avoid a punctuation error, which is not even an error per GMAT, we are committing a graver error of modification by choosing A. Now modifiers are certainly deterministic errors to eliminate an answer choice.
Hence, we must choose the most ideal answer choice and that is choice D.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Thnx alot Shraddha for the explaination.....

From What I have understood, I am writing a few examples.......
Please let me know whether my understading is correct.

1. If we have a sentence with a prepositional phrase with in noun clause preceding the modifier then the modifier modifies the noun of the sentence

ex : Sachin is one of the best players of badminton game, surpassed only by James and Amie.

2. If we have a sentence without a prepositional phrase preceding the modifier then the modifier modifies the closest noun..
ex : Sachin is the best player,playing for Indian Badminton team.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Straight D.

"Laden with packages" should modify Larry, and nothing else.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q161 V163
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
egmat wrote:
arunmehta89 wrote:

Hi Arun,

It is clear that you get the intended meaning of the sentence. You agree that “laden with packages” should modify “Larry”.

According to GMAT, the verb-ed modifier is a noun modifier that should be placed to the entity it modifies as close as possible. Generally, verb-ed modifiers modify the immediate preceding noun or noun phrase.

In this sentence, “laden” is a verb-ed modifier which is places next to ramp. Even if it separated from “ramp” by comma, “ramp” is the immediate preceding noun and per the GMAT, “laden” will modify “ramp”. But this is certainly not the intended meaning of the sentence. Hence, we must put “laden” close to Larry so that there is no modification error.

You can also read this post for the correct usage of verb-ed modifiers:
verb-ed-modifiers-vs-verb-ing-modifiers-125611.html?fl=similar

I do agree that in Choice D, we need a comma after “ramp”. However, placement of comma alone has never been the deterministic issue for eliminating an answer choice. GMAT exclusively does not test the correct placement of punctuations. Moreover, to avoid a punctuation error, which is not even an error per GMAT, we are committing a graver error of modification by choosing A. Now modifiers are certainly deterministic errors to eliminate an answer choice.
Hence, we must choose the most ideal answer choice and that is choice D.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha ,

I'm just thinking out loud here, but why can't the answer choice be B. -- Larry walked, laden with packages, down the ramp . In this sentence , is it not possible to interpret it as Larry fell down the first time he walked with packages down the ramp. Or are there any indicators in the sentence that I am missing ?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
arvind410 wrote:
Hi Shraddha ,

I'm just thinking out loud here, but why can't the answer choice be B. -- Larry walked, laden with packages, down the ramp . In this sentence , is it not possible to interpret it as Larry fell down the first time he walked with packages down the ramp. Or are there any indicators in the sentence that I am missing ?

Hi Arvind,
This is the sentence with choice B:

The first time that Larry walked, laden with packages, down the ramp he tripped and nearly dislocated his shoulder.

This choice is incorrect for two reasons:

1. “laden” is a verb-ed modifier. These modifiers are noun modifiers and hence must be placed as close to the entity they modify as possible. In this choice, “laden” is placed after the verb “walked”. This is not accepted in GMAT.
2. “walked down” is a verb phrase. It does not make sense to split this phrase by inserting a modifier in between. This structure makes the entire sentence awkward.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Originally posted by egmat on 16 Jul 2012, 08:54.
Last edited by egmat on 16 Jul 2012, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Why isn't the answer E? Wouldn't we want to show the difference between in timing of two events?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Kudos