Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos

Which Questions Would you Like to see Addressed?

16% [9]
0% [0]
18% [10]
23% [13]
9% [5]
12% [7]
7% [4]
12% [7]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Re: Scheduled Chat with Current MBA Students (Wed 9 PM Eastern) [#permalink]
I found this answer to be very interesting:

Quote:
Question #6: Did you have many ECs and what if you don’t?
There were a good number of students that said they didn’t have any community service type activities. Students pointed out that extra-curricular activities don’t have to be community service oriented. It could be a hobby. The general feeling is that they are nice to haves, but not required for admission.

I was under the impression that Adcoms took ECs very seriously. Perhaps they're more important for those with less work experience?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Moss wrote:
I found this answer to be very interesting:

Quote:
Question #6: Did you have many ECs and what if you don’t?
There were a good number of students that said they didn’t have any community service type activities. Students pointed out that extra-curricular activities don’t have to be community service oriented. It could be a hobby. The general feeling is that they are nice to haves, but not required for admission.

I was under the impression that Adcoms took ECs very seriously. Perhaps they're more important for those with less work experience?

What I've heard is that the activity itself isn't as important, they want to know that you're not sitting around doing nothing. Also, ECs help when you don't have as much leadership experience at work, if you can show it in an EC, then that makes up for it some.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg
 Q50  V48
Send PM
I agree with highhopes. For me, ECs are very important to my application story because I don't have much experience managing people or leading teams at work, where I'm the most junior person. They allow me to show a different kind of leadership than I can show through my professional experiences.

Regardless of the nature of your work experience, I think it's important to show some sort of involvement to show you're multidimensional and have impact in your community as well as your workplace. But the extent of that involvement doesn't necessarily have to be that great, particularly if you're in a job where you're working very long hours or traveling extensively.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
HCGirl10 wrote:
I agree with highhopes. For me, ECs are very important to my application story because I don't have much experience managing people or leading teams at work, where I'm the most junior person. They allow me to show a different kind of leadership than I can show through my professional experiences.

Regardless of the nature of your work experience, I think it's important to show some sort of involvement to show you're multidimensional and have impact in your community as well as your workplace. But the extent of that involvement doesn't necessarily have to be that great, particularly if you're in a job where you're working very long hours or traveling extensively.

1000% agree. I think ECs give you some critical leadership experiences that you may miss out by virtue of being a junior person. I've been incredibly lucky to have some great leadership experiences at work and EC wise. Sometimes, I've felt I've gotten more responsibility at work, because my supervisors were aware of the amount of EC stuff I've done (especially within the company's junior employee forum).

Plus, it really does fulfill you and gives you a reason to get up in the morning :P They also make you strive for balance---and that is incredibly critical, especially as a bschool student.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Questions to be discussed on the next Chat Session (September 30th) will be posted 24 hours before the chat.

Please PM with your questions or post them in this thread.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Whats this week's topic...sticking with applications or going to something new like school life?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Whats this week's topic...sticking with applications or going to something new like school life?

I have tried getting some responses from the members, but no luck so far. What do you think would be a good topic to discuss at this point in the application process?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
I just posted an announcement with a poll -- I will include both of your questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I would ask what were the hardest questions they got in their interviews, and what were the least expected questions during the interview. Sometimes interviews drift into topics that are not business related, and i would like to know if this is usual too in top bschool interviews.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
fmckee wrote:
I would ask what were the hardest questions they got in their interviews, and what were the least expected questions during the interview. Sometimes interviews drift into topics that are not business related, and i would like to know if this is usual too in top bschool interviews.

already added to the list of questions - please vote!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Strategy
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Does one need a certain number of posts to vote? I would love to see both interview questions and last minute app checks discussed. I'm just mortified by all the things that can go wrong without me realizing it.

Great job on the first transcript btw (+1)
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Deepauk wrote:
Does one need a certain number of posts to vote? I would love to see both interview questions and last minute app checks discussed. I'm just mortified by all the things that can go wrong without me realizing it.

Great job on the first transcript btw (+1)

I am sorry for the confusion - the poll questions on this thread were part of the first chat.

The questions for the second chat are here --

current-student-chat-wednesday-09-30-9pm-est-84518.html
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2