It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 02:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic worm, is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
B

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 34

Re: Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic worm, is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 10:26
neetis5 wrote:
it in it has become more widespread refers to Schistosomiasis.

its in that are the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycle refers to parasite's. So, effectively, this portion says -- ...the the freshwater snails that are the parasite's host for part of the parasite's life cycle.

Cheers! :)

Thanks neetis5! Yes, "its" is a possessive pronoun referring to the possessive "parasite's".

www.gmatninja.com

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 34

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA
CAT Tests
Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic worm, is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 11:23
Hi Expert
I am not able to figure out the antecedent for the pronoun "its" in the underlined part. Please guide.
Thanks
Sarab

Last edited by abhimahna on 24 Jun 2017, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
Merged Topics. Please search before posting

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 198

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 21:32
getzonator wrote:
Question # 92 from the Verbal Review - 2nd Edition of the Official Guide - Sentence Correction (page 310)

Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic worm, is prevalent in hot, humid climates, and it has become more widespread as irrigation projects have enlarged the habitat of the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycle.

A. the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycle
B. the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts in part of their life cycle
C. freshwater snails which becomes the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycles
D. freshwater snails which become the hosts of the parasite during the parasite's life cycles
E. parasite's hosts, freshwater snails which become their hosts during their life cycles

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I said B, which I can see how it's wrong because after reading the answers I understood they meant the life cycle is of the parasite, not the host - so my mistake was more in the meaning of the sentence rather than grammar.

The right answer is A - my questions is this: in MGMAT sentence correction book I remember reading that one should be very careful using a pronoun of a possessive term and that it's usually incorrect. So in A, they are saying that "its" refers to parasite's - this seems wrong. Does anyone else agree? Or am I misunderstanding something? To me it is not clear what "it" refers to because the term parasite is in a possessive term.

Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic worm, is prevalent in hot, humid climates, and it has become more widespread as irrigation projects have enlarged the habitat of the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycle.

A. the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycle
Seems ok ... (its referring to Parasite - so no pronoun number agreement issue)

B. the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts in part of their life cycle
"their" is incorrect since its plural it now refers to plural antecedent "snails" which is illogical

C. freshwater snails which becomes the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycles
"becomes" is singular - we need plural verb become for plural subject snails
Also, "life cycles" - plural- as in each parasite has more than one life cycle !!! Incorrect

D. freshwater snails which become the hosts of the parasite during the parasite's life cycles
same as Option C (lifecycles)

E. parasite's hosts, freshwater snails which become their hosts during their life cycles
"their" - plural pronoun does not have an antecedent ...we need an antecedent for "a parasite worm" which is singular and hence the antecedent shall also be singular. Incorrect

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 198

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 23:05
This question hinges whether parasite's can act as Subject .
Yes they can so A is the correct answer.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

Mannheim Thread Master
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 51

GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 02:10
A is the correct choice - The sentence is clear with all pronouns and verbs in agreement.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 51

Re: Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic worm, is   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2017, 02:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic worm, is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap