Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS, Kellogg, MIT, Cornell, Texas, SMU, Washington (Olin)
 Q49  V48
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Re: Scholarship Offers v. Top School [#permalink]
I don't think a 20-30 ranked school would be beneficial enough to your career (assuming it's a great career, since you got into Kellogg) to merit taking the time off, moving, etc.

However, if it weren't so late in the cycle, it might be worth applying to some 10-20 ranked schools to see if they would offer significant scholarships.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
falibay wrote:
If you are an international students and you are planning to work in the US or Europe, I would select Kellogg without question. If the economy is still so-so in 2011, you will have no chance with a no-name school. Kellogg will open doors to the best "available" jobs and to the company that actually sponsor visas.

Look at it that way, if there is a lot of competition for jobs, who are the company going to hire and who are they going to sponsor?

My 2 cents, I know it is tough to phantom the 150K debt but it seems to be the right thing to do long-term.

Thanks. upon some thought I agree. The offers are so compelling but I am not leaving my business behind in order to go to a school I did not apply to - even if it is for free.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Kellogg is too good to give up and will def give you better opportunities for the long run.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
I don't think a 20-30 ranked school would be beneficial enough to your career (assuming it's a great career, since you got into Kellogg) to merit taking the time off, moving, etc.

However, if it weren't so late in the cycle, it might be worth applying to some 10-20 ranked schools to see if they would offer significant scholarships.

Thanks. You guys are right. It was a moment of weakness:)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Just my $0.02 (and obviously I can't be 100% unbiased) -

You only get 1 shot at an MBA..how would you feel 5, 10, 20 years from now? Would you regret passing on the chance to go to your dream school? For me it would be a more difficult choice if the schools offering $$ were top 10-15. But a top 5 school is a totally different league than a school in the lower 20s-30s ranking. If they're offering you scholarships without you even applying to the school, it's a pretty safe bet there won't be many other students there as talented as you are. Leaving school with no or very little debt certainly is attractive, but is it attractive enough to not pursue your dream at Kellogg?

I made a similar decision, turning down a 50% tuition scholarship offer from Duke to attend Kellogg. As much as I liked Duke, Kellogg from the outset was my top choice. As I thought about it, I realized that eventually I would pay off the extra $46k I will need to borrow to attend Kellogg, but I would always have second thoughts about choosing Duke over my top choice school.

Edit: wow, 6 responses while I was typing this. I need to work on my typing skills...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
if you dont mind me asking, how r u going to pay for school and life expenses? Are you considering takin loans for inter students in the US?

if ur wife is not american she wont be able to work on student-spouse visa...

also, where do u want to work after ur mba? if u r not us citizen u will need to look not only for a company who will employ u but also for a company who is ready to sponsor ur h-1b working visa.

Kellogg is really famous school so I guess you can land a nice job afterwards.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg
Send PM
How do you know you aren't getting any scholarships at Kellogg? Did you already apply for financial aid and get the results? I am very curious about it, because now that I got into Kellogg my main concern will be scholarships. Unfortunately, I already have significant student loan debt because I have a professional degree. My worst fear is to have to borrow another 100-150K.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Thanks for all the replies! It was a moment of weakness but I quickly knocked some sense back into myself:)

I doubt I am getting a scholarship from Kellogg - I understand there are not many for internationals and I have made a relatively reasonable amount in my last job...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks for sharing and these great recommendations..
GMAT Club Bot