Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 528 [8]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
GRE 1: Q800 V800

Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Re: School desegregation has worked well in Buffalo, New York, in part bec [#permalink]
Yeah, that's a good point. I went back and noticed that. Rushed through the problem, I think.

I'm curious if you've seen many instances of passive/active voice being tested on the GMAT. I would like to get a V51 if possible!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 528 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: School desegregation has worked well in Buffalo, New York, in part bec [#permalink]
Is option a in passive voice because federal fund is the object of the verb allocation but it is acting as a subject

what if i write option c as because each school is made unique by allocating extra federal funds to the school , would there still be object error
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
MichaelS wrote:
A and C are the only answers that are parallel. B might seem to be parallel, but in fact the because in B is followed by a noun phrase, while the two earlier becauses are followed by clauses.

So what's wrong with C? (1) It changes the meaning slightly. According to the original, the purpose of the extra funds was to make each school unique (whatever their actual affect), while according to C the extra funds did make each school unique (whatever they were intended for). (2) It is awkward. In particular, the usual direct object of the verb allocate is the stuff being allocated rather than person/agency/whatever receiving the stuff. But In C, the direct object of allocate is it (whose antecedent is each school) rather than the more standard funds.

Since vandygrad11 mentioned active/passive voice, I should point out a few thing:
-Answer A, the OA, is also in the passive voice, so voice doesn't seem to be the problem here.
-Standard Written English allows parallel clauses to have different voices, and in fact that's inevitable here, since the first of the parallel clauses (parents and teachers were given major roles) is passive, while the third (the federal judge enforced desegregation orders) is active. Neither of those is underlined, so neither of those will change, so were stuck with different voices.
-Different voices actually make sense here, since neither the parents nor the funds are agents in their clauses, while the judge is the agent in his.
-It's true that active is usually better than passive, but there are plenty of exceptions.
-It's true that consistent voice is better, but there are exceptions.
-Voice is not usually dispositive anyway. When passive is wrong, it's usually because the passive voice creates a distinct error. For instance, Thirsty after a long day of yard work, I drank the whole pitcher of lemonade. is better than Thirsty after a long day of yard work, the whole pitcher of lemonade was drunk by me. because according to the first I was thirsty, while according to the second, the pitcher of lemonade was thirsty.

Between A and C can we also say that use of "is" in C also contributes in making it incorrect as the main sentence uses "were"
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2218 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Ankit04041987 wrote:
School desegregation has worked well in Buffalo, New York, in part because parents and teachers were given major roles in designing the city’s magnet schools, because extra federal funds were allocated to make each school unique, and because the federal judge enforced desegregation orders.
(A) because extra federal funds were allocated to make each school unique
(B) because of the allocation of extra federal funds that make each school unique
(C) because each school is made unique by allocating it extra federal funds
(D) extra federal funds were allocated in order to make each school unique
(E) extra federal funds were allocated for making each school unique

why is choice c incorrect

Hi generis

Kindly underline the highlighted part

Thanks!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618580 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmat1393 wrote:
Ankit04041987 wrote:
School desegregation has worked well in Buffalo, New York, in part because parents and teachers were given major roles in designing the city’s magnet schools, because extra federal funds were allocated to make each school unique, and because the federal judge enforced desegregation orders.
(B) because of the allocation of extra federal funds that make each school unique

why is choice c incorrect

Hi generis

Kindly underline the highlighted part

Thanks!

Own Kudos [?]: 127 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Ankit04041987 wrote:

- Correct
-parallel with other elements "because parents and Y + Verb" , "because fedral judge + verb"

- wrong
- meaning error: the fund are allocated to make funds unique. Thus means the schools are already unique

- Wrong
- meaning error: this suggests that it is a general fact and normally schools are made unique.

- Wrong
"To" is better than "in order to"

- wrong
- "to make" is correct idiom..

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts