Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
Re: School shortlisting [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I'm not sure what you mean by "generosity" of a school... can you clarify?

Darden has a pretty strong finance program - perhaps not quite like Wharton or Chicago, but still strong with 19 finance related courses and 12 faculty members in this department. Do some more research and see what you think! Cornell definitely identifies itself as a finance school and is continually adding courses in this department - I'd count it as a very finance-oriented program that you should consider/do more research on.

Hong Kong is definitely a financial center, so from that perspective makes sense. It's difficult for me to say where you should place your bets - your logic makes sense, but it just depends where you want to build your career. If you pick an Asia school, you'll likely build your career in Asia as it will be more difficult to get U.S. opportunities (not impossible, but more difficult). It's really a personal choice at the end of the day - wish I could help more!

Good luck,
Mili
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks again Mili for your response.

By 'generosity' I meant, a school's general trend / probability of providing scholarship or a grant given my profile, background etc. For example there might a scholarship for CFA candidates / charter holders in one of the schools. This can be an additional criteria for selecting a school and prioritizing the application to that school.

I would definitely do some more research on Johnson and Darden (I guess both of these would fit somewhere between category 1 and 2), thanks for providing your inputs regarding these schools. In the mean while, just wanted to take your opinion regarding my chances at Sloan and Chicago, I think they might be a stretch given my GMAT / general profile.

Finally, I understand that the Asia vs. Category 3 is basically a personal choice; I would most likely go for a well known Asian school rather than a low ranked US school specially when I see that HKUST is ranked 10 in the global rankings by FT.

Thanks a ton, your inputs are really helpful!!!!
IndianExpress
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi again,

Unfortunately, you'll have to do your own research on the scholarship opportunities at each school. I don't have enough information on that front to be helpful! Sorry!

I think you could definitely apply for Booth and be seriously considered there. Sloan may be a stretch as they seek a very particular type of candidate... can always through in one stretch, though!

Good luck,
Mili
Moderator:
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
1452 posts