Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618848 [17]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [9]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Science Academy study: It has been demonstrated that with natural meth [#permalink]
Kudos
@nightblade, what is the question stem asking
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Re: Science Academy study: It has been demonstrated that with natural meth [#permalink]
sushmitha2 wrote:
What is the question stem asking? I don't understand the meaning of "Which one of the following is the most adequate evaluation of the logical force of the critics’ response?" Are we asked to find the critic's method of rebuttal or the understanding of the Academy's argument given the critic's response?

@sushmita2, the question stem is asking us to evaluate the critic's logic. Its asking whether the logic given by critic is correct or not.
Among the answer choices only E seems to be related to the logic
Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Hi! Can you weigh in on this, please? Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Science Academy study: It has been demonstrated that with natural meth [#permalink]
Not so difficult question, if you understand the type of question.

This is a sub-type of Method of Reasoning Questions: Flaw In The Reasoning Questions

Method of Reasoning questions feature the following information structure:

1. Use only the information in the stimulus to prove the correct answer choice.
2. Any choice that describes an element or a situation that does not occur in the stimulus is incorrect.

The Flaw in the Reasoning questions is same as Method of Reasoning questions with the exception that the question stem indicates that the reasoning in the stimulus is flawed. This is a tremendous advantage because you can identify the error of reasoning in the stimulus before proceeding to the answer choices.

The correct answer will identify the error in the author’s reasoning and then describe that error in general terms. Beware of answers that describe a portion of the stimulus but fail to identify the error in the reasoning.

When pre-thinking in Method and Flaw questions, you may understand the details of the stimulus but not understand the structure of the argument. Thus, each answer may sound implausible since they are related primarily to the logical organization of the argument. Therefore, you must think about the structure of the argument before examining the answer choices.

All the options state extraneous information and are irrelevant and hence can be eliminated, except E, which describes the flaw in general terms.

My answer is based on Powerscore Book.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
what an evil question. i voted for D, but with the help of Mentortutoring above i see why i was wrong.
if i unerstand correctly you have to evaluate the critics POV.
now: the STUDY stated it is possible to use Natural sources without harming the yields.Thus, the stusy states that result X is possible.
the Critics say: farms X,Y ONLY succeeded , but not farms A,B,C,D,E but:
the STUDY didnt actually stated that Result X will always happen, only that it is possible, so the CRITICS statement is irelevant, since the STUDY sealt with CAN HAPPEN and not MUST HAPPEN.
I hope i got it right. very nice one, but tricky
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Science Academy study: It has been demonstrated that with natural methods, some well-managed farms are able to reduce the amounts of synthetic fertilizer and pesticide and also of antibiotics they use without necessarily decreasing yields; in some cases yields can be increased.

Critics: Not so. The farms the academy selected to study were the ones that seemed most likely to be successful in using natural methods. What about the farmers who have tried such methods and failed?

Which one of the following is the most adequate evaluation of the logical force of the critics’ response?

(A) Success and failure in farming are rarely due only to luck, because farming is the management of chance occurrences.

(B) The critics show that the result of the study would have been different if twice as many farms had been studied.

(C) The critics assume without justification that the failures were not due to soil quality.

(D) The critics demonstrate that natural methods are not suitable for the majority of framers.

(E) The issue is only to show that something is possible, so it is not relevant whether the instances studied were representative.

Hello VeritasPrepHailey, can you please explain the question stem and the options of this question?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts