Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:42 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Re: Scientists have dated sharp-edged flakes of stone found in the fine-gr [#permalink]
this is one of those problems from which you can learn about the ways in which these sorts of constructions are used. indeed, it is precisely from these sorts of problems that you must learn about the niceties of these constructions, as the gmat's usage can, and does, sometimes vary from that of other sources.

in this sort of construction, i'm pretty sure that either "when" or "at which" would be acceptable. (clearly, the latter is acceptable -- it appears in the correct answer, after all -- but i wouldn't object to the former.)
if you want to get really subtle, i think (not 100% sure) that "the date when" is used for actual, precise calendar dates, whereas "the date at which" is used for the usually more vague dates of historical events, such as the one in this problem. but i'm sure the test is not going to depend on this sort of nuanced difference.

i think the real problem with the construction in choice (a) is that the clause following "when" is "it is known". in other words, that choice suggests that the fact is (was?) known at that date, an interpretation that clearly doesn't make sense in context.
in the correct answer, the "at which" is followed by a clause whose subject is "humans", and which describes the actual action that took place at that date. therefore, i think the idea is that this clause more accurately describes the chronology of the events: i.e., the toolmaking happened at that date, and the fact is known now.

as for your other question, this isn't really a perfect tense, because it's actually not a tense at all -- it's an infinitive.
probably the easiest way to go here is to remember this as an idiomatic usage of the construction "known to". if the action is in the present, then you use "known to VERB"; if the action is in the past, then you use "known to have VERBed". as far as i know, these are the only two possible forms.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Scientists have dated sharp-edged flakes of stone found in the fine-gr [#permalink]
Top Contributor
alimad wrote:
Scientists have dated sharp-edged flakes of stone found in the fine-grained sediments of a dry riverbed in the Afar region of Ethiopia to between 2.52 and 2.60 million years ago, pushing back by more than 150,000 years the earliest date when it is known that humans made stone tools.

(A) when it is known that humans made

(B) at which it is known that humans had made

(C) at which humans are known to have made

(D) that humans are known to be making

(E) of humans who were known to make

This question is based on Construction and Idiomatic Usage.

The adverb ‘when’ indicates the time of an action and so, it cannot modify the noun ‘date’. The simple present tense 'is known' is inappropriate as the date marks the time that humans made tools, not the time at which it was known. The simple past tense 'made' is also incorrect in this sentence as a completed action is to be indicated. The perfect tense would make more sense. So, Option A can be eliminated.

The idiomatic usage of the preposition ‘at’ is appropriate in this option. However, Option B is wordy and the past perfect tense ‘had made’ is inappropriate. The past perfect tense is used to indicate an earlier action when two actions happen in the past. So, Option B can also be eliminated.

Option C has the appropriate idiomatic usage ‘date at which’. The present perfect tense ‘have made’ is appropriate in the sentence as it refers to an action done by humans that still has an effect on the present. So, C is the best of all the options.

Option D has the modifier “that humans are known to be making”, which implies a sense of continuity in the present, that is not intended in the sentence. So, Option D can be eliminated.

This option has the phrase ‘date of humans’, which is illogical. The modifier “who were known to make” implies that there were two groups of humans, one who made stone tools, and one who didn’t. Since this meaning is also illogical, Option E can also be ruled out.

Therefore, C is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
IanStewart please could you weigh in on this one.

Also, is the past perfect tense in (B) appropriate?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9240 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos