GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Mar 2019, 20:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that lives only

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that lives only  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2007, 11:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:08) correct 21% (01:21) wrong based on 461 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that lives only in a small region of Central America and is active only at night. During the day, it rests in treetops, where its green color matches the foliage perfectly. Therefore, the scientists must have discovered the butterfly at night.

The argument depends on which of the following assumptions?

A) The newly discovered butterfly is not related to any other species of butterfly.
B) There is no way for the scientists to detect the butterfly during the day.
C) No other butterfly species lives in this region of Central America.
D) The foliage in the butterfly's habitat is completely green.
E) The butterfly cannot survive in areas outside of Central America.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that lives only  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2007, 17:11
Im going to go with B. If I assume that scientists cannot discover the butterfly on daytime, then it must have been discovered at night.

If that wasn't enough, Option D clearly paraphrases a premise in the passage (it rests in treetops, where its green color matches the foliage perfectly), thus, it can't be an assumption.

What's the OA?
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: UCLA Anderson School of Mgmt (FEMBA Class of 2013)
WE 1: 7.5 years in Engg. Consulting
Re: Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that lives only  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2007, 20:49
Hard to decide b/w B and D. But I am going with D my reasons are as follows:
1) Assumptions must be true that is we should be abel to defend the assumption with the statements, either implicitly or explicitly.

2) If B is the answer there was no reason to bring up a new premise which is butterfly turns to green and the foliage is green.

So when making this premise the author assumed that all the foliage is green and this has to be true for the conclusion to be true.

But B is kind of a conclusion and does not look like an unstated premise to me. I could be wrong. Lets wait for the OA.

Soomodh
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2007, 07:30
jimjohn wrote:
Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that lives only in a small region of Central America and is active only at night. During the day, it rests in treetops, where its green color matches the foliage perfectly. Therefore, the scientists must have discovered the butterfly at night.

A) The newly discovered butterfly is not related to any other species of butterfly.

I'll go with B because if butterfly's green color matches the foliage perfectly there are still possibilities (ways, instrucments) to detect its existence during the daytime. There are so many specifies we are not able to see naked eyes but we have instruments to find them out. This is only B that states that there was no other way for scientists to detect the butterfly during the day that concludes the scientists must have discovered the butterfly at night.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2007, 08:56
jimjohn wrote:

I'd go for B. This is one where thinking about the negation of answer choices can be helpful. Suppose D is false, and some of the foliage is not green. The passage's argument could still hold up: the butterfly just camouflages itself in the green parts of the foliage.

But if B is false, and there is a way for scientists to detect the butterfly during the day, then the argument doesn't make sense. It may be hard to see the butterfly, but if scientists have another method, then we can't conclude that they discovered the butterfly at night.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2007, 11:12
the OA was B

(B) CORRECT. In order for this argument to work, one has to assume that there is no way for the scientists to detect the butterfly during the day, despite its camouflage. If there is a way for the scientists to detect the butterfly during the day, the conclusion is no longer logical.

(D) Whether the foliage is completely green or partially green is irrelevant as to when it was discovered
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2012, 00:39
• The newly discovered butterfly is not related to any other species of butterfly. - Irrelevant information - Incorrect
• There is no way for the scientists to detect the butterfly during the day. - Only when there is no way of detecting the butterfly during the day, it can be detected at night. - Correct
• No other butterfly species lives in this region of Central America. - We are not talking about any other butterfly species - Incorrect
• The foliage in the butterfly’s habitat is completely green. - Already stated in the arguement - Incorrect• The butterfly cannot survive in areas outside of Central America. - Irrelevant - Incorrect
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2012, 02:34
Answer is B.

In forming its conclusion, the argument is making the bold assumption that the scientists do not have any way of catching the butterflies in the day time. If the scientists did, then clearly the argument that the butterflies were definitely caught at night is smash to a thousand and one pieces.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2012, 16:47
B

Conclusion: the scientists must have discovered the butterfly at night

Premise: active only at night
Premise: During the day, its green color matches the foliage perfectly

• The newly discovered butterfly is not related to any other species of butterfly.
--> Out of scope we are not discussing about any other species

• There is no way for the scientists to detect the butterfly during the day.
--> Additional premise that will strengthen the conclusion [keep it]

• No other butterfly species lives in this region of Central America.
--> out of scope as same as A

• The foliage in the butterfly’s habitat is completely green.
--> Already a premise cannot use it "its green color matches the foliage perfectly"

• The butterfly cannot survive in areas outside of Central America.
--> out of scope
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2013, 11:27
The correct answer is B. The conclusion of the argument is that "the scientists
must have discovered the butterfly at night." Why? Because the butterfly's color
matches the green of the foliage, and the butterfly is active only at night. In order
for this argument to work, one has to assume that there is no way for the
scientists to detect the butterfly during the day, despite its camouflage. If there is
a way for the scientists to detect the butterfly during the day, the conclusion is no
longer logical.
Current Student
B
Schools: HKU MBA"19 (A)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 23:17
I will use the @empowergmat technique.
the argument says- Butterfly, green camouflague ->Disc only at night
What i want to know- Any way to disc in day.

• The newly discovered butterfly is not related to any other species of butterfly. Are we discussing the relation? NO remove
• No other butterfly species lives in this region of Central America. Are we discussing where they live? No Remove
• The butterfly cannot survive in areas outside of Central America. Are we discussing where they can survive.

I had to think deep to remove d.
D says about foliage, it does not tell anything about when they can be discovered. In day or night. Therefore we do not know. @empowergmat is D is the best incorrect answer.

So we have B as the answer.

My document says 700. But i guess with time this has become a Sub 600 question
Retired Moderator
B
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2016, 00:05
lee2390 wrote:
I will use the @empowergmat technique.
the argument says- Butterfly, green camouflague ->Disc only at night
What i want to know- Any way to disc in day.

• The newly discovered butterfly is not related to any other species of butterfly. Are we discussing the relation? NO remove
• No other butterfly species lives in this region of Central America. Are we discussing where they live? No Remove
• The butterfly cannot survive in areas outside of Central America. Are we discussing where they can survive.

I had to think deep to remove d.
D says about foliage, it does not tell anything about when they can be discovered. In day or night. Therefore we do not know. @empowergmat is D is the best incorrect answer.

So we have B as the answer.

My document says 700. But i guess with time this has become a Sub 600 question

We do not know how green the foliage is. It could be as green as the butterfly (thus making the butterfly undetectable) or it could also be more green or less green than the butterfly (thus making the butterfly detectable). Now it is already given explicitly in the stem that the tree on which the butterfly sits perfectly matches the butterfly - so this cannot be the assumption. More importantly, the fact that the butterfly's foliage matches the tree is more tangible to us than the butterfly being green (because as mentioned earlier we don't know if the butterfly can be camouflaged based on the previously mentioned logic).
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2017, 03:56
mandald wrote:
Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that lives only in a small region of Central America and is
active only at night. During the day, it rests in treetops, where its green color matches the foliage perfectly.
Therefore, the scientists must have discovered the butterfly at night.

• The newly discovered butterfly is not related to any other species of butterfly.
• No other butterfly species lives in this region of Central America.
• The butterfly cannot survive in areas outside of Central America.

The conclusion of the argument is that "the scientists must have discovered the butterfly at night." Why? Because the butterfly's color matches the green of the foliage, and the butterfly is active only at night. In order for this argument to work, one has to assume that there is no way for the scientists to detect the butterfly during the day, despite its camouflage. If there is
a way for the scientists to detect the butterfly during the day, the conclusion is no longer logical.

Answer B

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 20:33
Conclusion :- "Scientists must have discovered the butterfly at night".
Negating answer choice B :- "There is a way for the scientists to detect the butterfly during the day."{Now, if there is a way for the scientist to
discover a butterfly during day time then they must not have discovered the butterfly at night destroying the conclusion"}.
Hence choice B is correct.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 03:44
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that lives only   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2019, 03:44

Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that lives only

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap