GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 Apr 2018, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing its resista

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA , IIMC
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35
Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing its resista [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 07:21
solitaryreaper wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
MarketingGuru wrote:
Hi Meghna,

Please help me by resolving the conflict in my assumption in this question-

Profit depends on cost and selling price. Here the author is saying that the switching would unlikely increase profit. Hence the assumption could be that the selling price of both genetically modified feed corn and ordinary corn is same. Hence the answer can be (B).

However, I don't challenge GMAT :). But I am not able to establish linkages between premises to come up with an assumption to arrive at (D) in e-gmat way. Because the premise clearly says that savings in using less insecticide cannnot offset the cost of seed. So even if we use even less insecticide its not going to make too much difference. Plus how can we challenge/change premise.

Can you please guide.

Thanks,
Pritisha

For (B) vs (D), check this link: http://gmatclub.com/forum/scientists-ha ... l#p1382766

Ask if anything remains unclear.

Hi Karishma,
If option B was something like:
Whether the price that farmers receive for feed corn would fluctuate in future.

Will it be a contender then?

Regards,
SR

VeritasPrepKarishma

iin the post below,it is assumed that "selling price for both the type of corn is same".why we need to assume that selling price is same for both
the argument is talking about profit
here is my 2 scents. please review
profit=price-cost
plan A:GM CORN
plan B:NORMAL CORN
CONCLUSION:WHICH PLAN WILL LEAD TO MORE PROFIT
SO WE NEED INFORMATION ABOUT PRICE AND COST
1)IF AN OPTION SAY GENETICALLY MODIFIED CORNS ARE HIGHER IN QUALITY AND HENCE HIGH PRICE.THEN PROFIT WILL INCREASE
2)IF ANY ANSWER CHOICE SAY THERE ARE WAYS TO REDUCE TOTAL COST IN PLAN B,IT WILL HELP TO EVALUATE THE ARGUMENT
AS COST=COST OF INSECTICIDE+COST OF SEED
COST OF GM modified seed> cost of normal seed
so focus is on insecticide
say:amount of insecticide can be reduced further then last year or say GM corn needs cheaper insecticide,then plan B will lead to more profit
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA , IIMC
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35
Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing its resista [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 07:32
MarketingGuru wrote:
Hi Meghna,

Please help me by resolving the conflict in my assumption in this question-

Profit depends on cost and selling price. Here the author is saying that the switching would unlikely increase profit. Hence the assumption could be that the selling price of both genetically modified feed corn and ordinary corn is same. Hence the answer can be (B).

However, I don't challenge GMAT :). But I am not able to establish linkages between premises to come up with an assumption to arrive at (D) in e-gmat way. Because the premise clearly says that savings in using less insecticide cannnot offset the cost of seed. So even if we use even less insecticide its not going to make too much difference. Plus how can we challenge/change premise.

Can you please guide.

Thanks,
Pritisha

the problem with option B is :
1.it is talking about past years
2.word STEADY
say say price in past years were steady,still it does not tell about the price of ordinary or GM corn THIS YEAR

if we could get some information about the price of GM corn and ordinary corn,then it could be helpful to decide whether the profit will increase

feel free to click kudos
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 05:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
JAIN09 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

iin the post below,it is assumed that "selling price for both the type of corn is same".why we need to assume that selling price is same for both
the argument is talking about profit
here is my 2 scents. please review
profit=price-cost
plan A:GM CORN
plan B:NORMAL CORN
CONCLUSION:WHICH PLAN WILL LEAD TO MORE PROFIT
SO WE NEED INFORMATION ABOUT PRICE AND COST
1)IF AN OPTION SAY GENETICALLY MODIFIED CORNS ARE HIGHER IN QUALITY AND HENCE HIGH PRICE.THEN PROFIT WILL INCREASE
2)IF ANY ANSWER CHOICE SAY THERE ARE WAYS TO REDUCE TOTAL COST IN PLAN B,IT WILL HELP TO EVALUATE THE ARGUMENT
AS COST=COST OF INSECTICIDE+COST OF SEED
COST OF GM modified seed> cost of normal seed
so focus is on insecticide
say:amount of insecticide can be reduced further then last year or say GM corn needs cheaper insecticide,then plan B will lead to more profit

The argument does not talk about the retail price changing according to the seeds used. So we assume that it stays the same while evaluating our options. If some option tells us that using GM seeds, we can command a higher price for the crop, it is certainly something we should evaluate with reference to the profit. Since the options do not mention it, we do not need to worry about it.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 17:57
We need to find choice which by answering goes in both directions ie. Favour or not favour

D clearly states that if farmers applied more than necessary their profit will be reduced
If not then they are able to increase their profits.

None other options does the same

Posted from my mobile device
Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing its resista   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2018, 17:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 44 posts ] 

Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing its resista

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap