GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 02:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Scientists have observed large concentrations of heavy-metal

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Scientists have observed large concentrations of heavy-metal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2014, 11:16
smalluser wrote:
Thank you!

What was your thought process, I'm curious.

Posted from my mobile device

There is another problem with E..

Before that in Option D "Findings (noun) consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area (Noun modifier).

This construction correctly of "Noun+Noun modfier " modifies observations of the scientists

In option E, consistent with the growth of industrial activity there

is just a modifier phrase and is again modifying "observations", which is another noun in the sentence. In GMAT a noun modifier should be as close as possible to the noun modified where as a modifier modifying a verb need not be as close to the verb being modified.

Thus E is incorrect.

Before posting it is worthwhile to check if the questions have been discovered. GMATCLUB has been around for a long time and you can be rest assured that there will be a very very slim chance of a OG question not discussed on this site.

Use search option and save time.

Topic is discussed here : http://gmatclub.com/forum/scientists-ha ... ml#p622120

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 21:33
The easiest way to eliminate B is that where is used to modify a place. Baltic Sea sediments is not a place; it is a thing (in lack of better word).

The way where is used in this sentence, it is a relative pronoun. The relative pronouns have many characteristics that are tested on GMAT. For example, the relative pronouns that and which cannot modify people and many other things.

p.s. These have been discussed in detail in our book. If you can PM me your mail id, I can send the corresponding section to you.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

NUS Thread Master
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer
GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2014, 07:46
rohansherry wrote:
38. Scientists have observed large concentrations of
heavy-metal deposits in the upper twenty centimeters of Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the
growth of industrial activity there.

(A) Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity there
(B) Baltic Sea sediments, where the growth of industrial activity is consistent with these findings
(C) Baltic Sea sediments, findings consistent with its growth of industrial activity
(D) sediments from the Baltic Sea, findings consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area
(E) sediments from the Baltic Sea, consistent with the growth of industrial activity there

A- WRONG MEANING - USE OF WHICH
B- WRONG MEANING- USE OF WHERE
C- WRONG USAGE OF ITS
d- CORRECT - BEST IN ALL
E- WRONG MEANINGS- NO " FINDINGS" MENTIONED.

IF IT IS TO BE , IT IS UP TO ME

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2015, 03:29
rohansherry wrote:
heavy-metal deposits in the upper twenty centimeters of Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the

(A) Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity there
(B) Baltic Sea sediments, where the growth of industrial activity is consistent with these findings
(C) Baltic Sea sediments, findings consistent with its growth of industrial activity
(D) sediments from the Baltic Sea, findings consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area
(E) sediments from the Baltic Sea, consistent with the growth of industrial activity there

Fairly simple one.

A - 'which' refers to sediments. Sediments can not be consistent with growth of industrial activity
B - 'where' can not refer to 'sediments'
C - no antecedent for 'its'
D - IMO right! 'findings' rightly sums up the scientists observations
E - Not clear what is 'consistent with the growth of industrial activity there'.

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2015, 03:56

(A) Baltic Sea sediments, whichare consistent with the growth of industrial activity there................... SV agreement error
(B) Baltic Sea sediments, where the growth of industrial activity is consistent with these findings........................................ Meaning changed " growth of industrial activity in the baltic sea sediments"
(C) Baltic Sea sediments, findings consistent withits growth of industrial activity.............................. "its" is creating ambiguity
(D) sediments from the Baltic Sea, findings consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area............................. correct
(E) sediments from the Baltic Sea, consistent with the growth of industrial activity there[/quote] .................................... "there' is referring to baltic sea which is wrong.

"Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached"

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2015, 22:43
egmat wrote:
This is a good modifier question: You may view video solution below. This contains detailed explanation of why original choice is wrong and why other incorrect choices are incorrect.

solo1234 wrote:
In answer D. may you explain why "findings",a noun, can go together with "consistent", an adj, without "be". Thanks

You ask a very good question about the correct answer choice. It is a very good practice to thoroughly review the structure of the correct answer choice. The correct answer choice in this case utilizes a modifier that is called as Noun + Noun Modifier. Here "findings" is the noun part and "consistent with..." is the noun modifier of this noun. I suggest you review the article here for more details on this modifier. It would present a lot more clarity.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Payal

So that means in Correct Answer "D" the word "finding" is used as a Noun+modifier(absolute phrase) and not as a ing modifier. Correct me if I though tit right. I have not seen this construction before and wondering if it's possible.

And if it's ing-modifier, then I am confused with what subject the "finding" is attached.

Also how in future we differentiate if its a noun+modifier or ing-modifier. I guessed on this questing and got right..luckly. But in GMAT, what should be my approach.
thanks'
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 02:04
One question for expert: is "Baltic Sea sediments" by default wrong?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 09:10
MrSobe17 wrote:
One question for expert: is "Baltic Sea sediments" by default wrong?

Am not an expert but I think you have a very good point. In "Baltic Sea sediments", the noun is "sediments" and so, "Baltic Sea" is used as adjective. But that does not seem to be correct usage, because "Baltic Sea" is a noun. I mean..we can have "coarse sediment", "fine sediment", "alluvial sediment" etc. , but we can't have "Baltic Sea sediments" because "Baltic Sea" is not a characteristic or a property of the sediments.

Experts, is my thinking correct?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 21:12
An independent sentences + comma(,) + a noun (findings) + an adjective (consistent) ...

All three, the comma, noun, and adjective, are confusing.

I have ever seen like this sentences?
which kind of grammar ( sentence structure or etc...) is this?

Help please :)
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 05:58
I am elaborating choice D in full:
Scientists have observed large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits in the upper twenty centimeters of sediments from the Baltic Sea, findings (findings is an appositive modifier standing for large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits) (that are) consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area. The highlighted portions are required to be understood.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 15:51
daagh wrote:
Scientists have observed large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits in the upper twenty centimeters of sediments from the Baltic Sea, findings (findings is an appositive modifier standing for large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits) (that are) consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area. The highlighted portions are required to be understood.

Thank you so much for clarification. Appreciated.
After we omit the subject pronoun [that] and the be form of the verb [are], the adjective clause [that are consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area] becomes the adjective phrase [ consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area ] that should modify the noun [ findings]. However, I thought whenever we have a single adjective, not participial adjective, such as consistent, beautiful, nice...etc, the adjective should be moved to its normal position in front of the noun it modifies. For example:

The books that are new are very expensive.
The new books are very expensive. ( the adjective [new] is moved to its normal position)
The books new are very expensive. ( It seems incorrect)
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2016, 19:11
Can someone help me in split5). Can I make the split of "Of the baltic sea sediments" vs "sediments from the Baltic Sea"? thanks!

Split1) Modifier. Wrong modifier after the comma. "which" and "where" refers to sediments incorrectly. The subject of the sentence is scientist's observation = singular noun. Also, Baltic Sea sediments is not a place = it cannot be followed by "where". A and B are out.

Split2) In C "It" has not logical referent. C is out.

Split3) "there" has no clear referent. A and E are out.

Split4) Logical Prediction. Look at E, it says that sediments....are consistent with the growth of the industrial activities. The original sentence says the "findings are consistent with..." so, the logic in E is changed.

Split5) "Of the baltic sea sediments" vs "sediments from the Baltic Sea". I prefer to start with "sediments from the Baltic Sea" because "of" preposition + noun + preposition + noun = complete thought. A, B and C are out.
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2017, 11:45
Scientists have observed large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits in the upper twenty centimeters of Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity there.
(A) Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity there - Which refers to sediments and thus creates a meaning issue - The sediments alone are not "consistent with the growth of industrial activity" however - it's the "large concentrations" of these sediments.
(B) Baltic Sea sediments, where the growth of industrial activity is consistent with these findings - Where should refer to a place but sediments are not a place
(C) Baltic Sea sediments, findings consistent with its growth of industrial activity - No logical reference for pronoun its ; Logically, it should be the area around the Baltic Sea, but a noun indicating such an area is not present in the sentence.
(D) sediments from the Baltic Sea, findings consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area - Correct
(E) sediments from the Baltic Sea, consistent with the growth of industrial activity there - it is not clear what the word consistent describes ; where is "there"? The only location mentioned is the Baltic Sea , but the growth of industrial activity didn't happen in the Sea.

Answer D

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 04:31
(A) Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity there - LARGE CONCENTRATIONS OF SEDIMENTS ARE CONSISTENT WITH THE GROWTH OF INDUSTRIAL ACTIVITY WHEREAS THIS OPTIONS IMPLIES THAT SEDIMENTS (BECAUSE OF THE USAGE OF WHICH) ARE WITH THE GROWTH OF INDUSTRIAL ACTIVITY . INCORRECT.
(B) Baltic Sea sediments, where the growth of industrial activity is consistent with these findings - WHERE I SWRONGLY USED FOR SEDIMENTS. CORRECT USAGE OF WHERE IS FOR PLACE OR LOCATION
(C) Baltic Sea sediments, findings consistent with its growth of industrial activity - 'ITS' HERE IMPLIES TO BALTIC SEA, MEANING BALTIC SEA'S GROWTH. WHEREAS THE ORIGINAL SENTENCE SENTENCE SUGGESTS THE GROWTH OF INDUSTRIAL ACTUVITY RATHER THAN THE GROWTH OF BALTIC SEA
(D) sediments from the Baltic Sea, findings consistent with the growth of industrial activity in the area - CORRECT. BECAUSE THE FINDINGS THAT THERE ARE LARGE CONCENTRATIONS OF SEDIMENTS ARE CONSISTENT WITH THE GROWTH OF INDUSTRIAL ACTIVITY. BEST OPTION
(E) sediments from the Baltic Sea, consistent with the growth of industrial activity there - MODIFIER 'consistent with the growth of industrial activity there' IS AMBIGUOUS. WHAT IS CORRECTLY CONSITENT WITH GROWTH OF INDUSTRIAL ACTTYNCENTRATIONS??
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 21:34
what is consistent?

In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 21:02
Scientists have observed large concentrations of heavy-metal deposits in the upper twenty centimeters of Baltic Sea sediments, which are consistent with the growth of industrial activity there.

Baltic Sea sediments is incorrect as it gives idea that these are some special type of sediments so A,B,C gone.
In E, consistent.... is incorrectly modifying Baltic Sea.

In D(correct choice), findings....is appositive which correctly refers to large concentrations...deposits.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 14:58
rohansherry wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2016

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 78
Page: 262

A: which are - used incorrectly, not clear what it modifies. Wrong
B: where the growth of industrial activity - modifies Baltic Sea sediments. Wrong
C: its growth of industrial activity - is ambiguous
D: correct
E: growth of industrial activity there - incorrectly modifies Baltic Sea sediments
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 18:51
Expert,

I went through all the posts but I am unable to find clear answers for my doubts below.

1. In the original sentence, "which" refers to??
-- I think which refers to "concentrations of deposits" because we have a long prepositional modifier after concentrations.
Please confirm if my understanding is correct. I find this to be inconsistent with e-gmat solution where they mentioned that "which" refers to "Sediments".

2. Whats the real difference between "Baltic sea sediments" and "Sediments from baltic sea" ??
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 20:26
daagh wrote:

Yes sir thank you for clarifying

Sent from my HM NOTE 1S using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Re: Scientists have observed large concentrations of heavy-metal &nbs [#permalink] 29 May 2017, 20:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 50 posts ] 

Scientists have observed large concentrations of heavy-metal

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap